Death Stranding - New Kojima game

news out of Gamescom was that the 'Exclusive for PlayStation' logo was plastered all over the game

Best case scenario this comes to PC a year later. The engine is based off an engine created by a Sony owned studio and they were given the license for free. This can work as timed exclusivity payment I suppose. If it comes to PC though I think it would come after an PS5 upgraded version is released, so probably sometime 2021. But chances are high that it will never come to PC due to the engine.

Best case scenario this comes to PC a year later. The engine is based off an engine created by a Sony owned studio and they were given the license for free. This can work as timed exclusivity payment I suppose. If it comes to PC though I think it would come after an PS5 upgraded version is released, so probably sometime 2021. But chances are high that it will never come to PC due to the engine.
What's fucked up is that Guerrilla Games said they already have an internal version of the Decima Engine that works perfectly fine on PC (and they use it for testing, debug, etc), and they'd like to bring games like HZD to PC, but Sony says hells naw, so that's how it goes (or at least I seem to recall Guerrilla saying their engine was fully-working on PC). Personally I find it sad when the consoles are x86-64/AMD64 but ports to PC aren't automatically a no-brainer.

So Kojima was given the license to the Decima Engine for free?! That was mighty nice of Sony.

Haha I had missed this April Fool's joke: https://www.dsogaming.com/news/sony...izon-zero-dawn-in-q4-2018-god-of-war-in-2019/
Too bad it's not real.

Weird to see a behind-the-scenes video for a PS4-exclusive game on Steam:

The only questionable aspect of the game I have seen is the large open areas. They seem rather barren. Of course it's hard to judge that without knowing the context of how the areas are used in game. Kojima does not release bad games, though. I trust it will turn out good.

Had to google him to see what games he made, only played 1 of them, the original MGS, one of the most crappy games I ever spent money on. Saw some early footage of death stranding and lost interest after that.

This guy imo is way overrated but to each their own.

Had to google him to see what games he made, only played 1 of them, the original MGS, one of the most crappy games I ever spent money on. Saw some early footage of death stranding and lost interest after that.

This guy imo is way overrated but to each their own.
You entitled to you opinion but you are still wrong. The MGS games and stuff like Snatcher were great games. I do kinda agree Death Stranding looks kind of boring but who know what it will be til it comes out.

I'm probably about to piss a lot of people off. :D

Japanese Games are not good. Change my mind.

Not saying im hating on it. Might be a storytelling masterpiece in its own right. And it looks amazing. But watching 8 minutes of that made me just think about how boring the gameplay looks.

I agree with you, except for one thing: I have doubts about it being a story telling masterpiece. Most of the Japanese stories I've ever seen in animation, live action film or in games has been overly convoluted, nihilistic and just plain depressing. The tropes that plague these things are so rampant, its mind boggling. People who like that sort of thing tend to remind me of craft beer snobs. They might like some beer that tastes like motor oil and stinks like carpet from an old crime scene and if you don't like it, your automatically classified as unsophisticated simpleton.

Nier Automata seems to virtually exemplify the Japanese gaming genre for me. Everything that's wrong with it extends to most Japanese games I've played. You have simplistic story telling methods for overly complex plots which boil down to being one of two things. Man vs. Machine which is usually done on a sliding scale between Ghost in the Shell and Megaman. Or, you have some bizarre fantasy stuff which is oddly mixed between contemporary and traditional fantasy settings. All their male hero's tend to be shirtless emo dudes (Dante from Devil May Cry) or Ryu from Street Fighter. The females are typical anime tropes. Over powered, heavily sexualized and generally so annoying you can't appreciate them being overly sexualized.

Masterpiece of story telling? Not if we get Nintendo era story telling like this:
upload_2019-9-12_10-37-39.png

This is actually a cut scene from Neir Automata. I thought I had traveled back in time when I saw this.

Or, you get what looks like an updated side scroller with abysmally slow text crawls that harkon back to the days of parachute pants. Note the shirtless emo dude.

upload_2019-9-12_10-39-19.png

In game conversations are handled like this:

upload_2019-9-12_10-40-22.png

They'll often have other cut scenes which are nothing more than ridiculous action sequences that would come across like a Bollywood rip off of a AAA movie, except they are polished enough to avoid that association. This seems to extend to virtually any Japanese game made in the last 30 years that I've seen with few exceptions. Even the immensely popular Street Fighter games have endings and stories that are told badly, with convoluted plots that make no sense, I like those games, but its in spite of how bad the story telling is. The game play is mechanically better than any western fighting game.

Basically, you end up with disjointed styles, odd visuals and convoluted plots. Using my favorite example: Nier Automata basically checks every box for me on what not to do in a video game. It shouldn't have been that hard to execute. After all it's basically just a female version of Megaman wearing a thong and the science fiction version of a French Maid's outfit. I'd usually be all in for that, but even staring at 2B's finely crafted digital ass wasn't enough to make me like that boring ass game. Granted, they may not all be like this, but this is essentially every Japanese game I've ever played or looked into. Japanese games tend to have better polish than American games on a technical level, but they seem behind western games in a number of areas. I'm not a big fan of the Witcher series, but their story telling is vastly superior as is anything from BioWare. At least, Pre-EA BioWare.

Worse yet, is they all seem to have ultra-repetitive gameplay. They'll also switch styles on you. You have an overhead shooter at the start of Nier Automata which reminds me of the many arcade games which were dressed up versions of Galaga, and then it transitions into something else. Boss fights have oddly locked camera angles and weird ultra-repetative mechanics. I've played a handful of Japanese games over the last few decades and I never make it very far into any of them. They never grab me with their stories, style or gameplay. Every time a new one gets hyped up, I watch videos and its more of the same. Each time I've been interested enough to buy one I've been hugely disappointed.

I agree with you, except for one thing: I have doubts about it being a story telling masterpiece. Most of the Japanese stories I've ever seen in animation, live action film or in games has been overly convoluted, nihilistic and just plain depressing. The tropes that plague these things are so rampant, its mind boggling. People who like that sort of thing tend to remind me of craft beer snobs. They might like some beer that tastes like motor oil and stinks like carpet from an old crime scene and if you don't like it, your automatically classified as unsophisticated simpleton.

Nier Automata seems to virtually exemplify the Japanese gaming genre for me. Everything that's wrong with it extends to most Japanese games I've played. You have simplistic story telling methods for overly complex plots which boil down to being one of two things. Man vs. Machine which is usually done on a sliding scale between Ghost in the Shell and Megaman. Or, you have some bizarre fantasy stuff which is oddly mixed between contemporary and traditional fantasy settings. All their male hero's tend to be shirtless emo dudes (Dante from Devil May Cry) or Ryu from Street Fighter. The females are typical anime tropes. Over powered, heavily sexualized and generally so annoying you can't appreciate them being overly sexualized.

Masterpiece of story telling? Not if we get Nintendo era story telling like this:
View attachment 186722

This is actually a cut scene from Neir Automata. I thought I had traveled back in time when I saw this.

Or, you get what looks like an updated side scroller with abysmally slow text crawls that harkon back to the days of parachute pants. Note the shirtless emo dude.

View attachment 186723

View attachment 186725

They'll often have other cut scenes which are nothing more than ridiculous action sequences that would come across like a Bollywood rip off of a AAA movie, except they are polished enough to avoid that association. This seems to extend to virtually any Japanese game made in the last 30 years that I've seen with few exceptions. Even the immensely popular Street Fighter games have endings and stories that are told badly, with convoluted plots that make no sense, I like those games, but its in spite of how bad the story telling is. The game play is mechanically better than any western fighting game.

Basically, you end up with disjointed styles, odd visuals and convoluted plots. Using my favorite example: Nier Automata basically checks every box for me on what not to do in a video game. It shouldn't have been that hard to execute. After all it's basically just a female version of Megaman wearing a thong and the science fiction version of a French Maid's outfit. I'd usually be all in for that, but even staring at 2B's finely crafted digital ass wasn't enough to make me like that boring ass game. Granted, they may not all be like this, but this is essentially every Japanese game I've ever played or looked into. Japanese games tend to have better polish than American games on a technical level, but they seem behind western games in a number of areas. I'm not a big fan of the Witcher series, but their story telling is vastly superior as is anything from BioWare. At least, Pre-EA BioWare.

Worse yet, is they all seem to have ultra-repetitive gameplay. They'll also switch styles on you. You have an overhead shooter at the start of Nier Automata which reminds me of the many arcade games which were dressed up versions of Galaga, and then it transitions into something else. Boss fights have oddly locked camera angles and weird ultra-repetative mechanics. I've played a handful of Japanese games over the last few decades and I never make it very far into any of them. They never grab me with their stories, style or gameplay. Every time a new one gets hyped up, I watch videos and its more of the same. Each time I've been interested enough to buy one I've been hugely disappointed.

I agree wiith a lot of what you are saying, when I was still in my teens and was playing Genesis/Snes games I tought JRPG's were awesome until I got a PC and played baldurs gate, fallout, planescapre torment etc..

I tried FFV when it came out and was pretty dissapointed with the gameplay and story.

Reactions: Dan_D
like this

View attachment 186722

View attachment 186723

View attachment 186725

upload_2019-9-12_12-49-30.png

So I'm still trying to determine what's going on from the TGS demo. It looks like there are some vaguely multiplayer co-op elements where you can see/interact with stuff other people left in the world? Kinda cool if that's the case.

Monster Hunter is good. Resident Evil (some of them) is good. Final Fantasy (some of them) is good.

I never played Monster Hunter. I have never been impressed with the Resident Evil games and I dislike Final Fantasy. I've hated everyone of them I've ever tried outside of the first one on Nintendo.

LOL don't play them? Japanese have made some of the best games ever. Dark Souls. /thread

I typically don't. I'm just trying to see what everyone else seems to see in them. I've never played Dark Souls. There is another game from that same company that looks interesting, (it's the one where the protagonist has a prosthetic arm) but I don't think its out yet.

I typically don't. I'm just trying to see what everyone else seems to see in them. I've never played Dark Souls. There is another game from that same company that looks interesting, (it's the one where the protagonist has a prosthetic arm) but I don't think its out yet.

You are talking about sekiro, came out earlier this year

https://hardforum.com/threads/sekiro-shadows-die-twice.1949954

and in terms of dark souls, the worst thing about it... is that you can only play it for the first time once.
give it a try, at least until you beat a few bosses, and I imagine it may change the way you look at gaming

I've thought about picking up one or more of the Dark Souls games when they hit Steam at super cheap prices. That way if I don't like it, I don't have any real investment in it.

Maybe they are not just for you? I rather play a new Vanquish game over another Gears of War in a heartbeat.

Maybe they are not just for you? I rather play a new Vanquish game over another Gears of War in a heartbeat.

Maybe not. I figured I'd share my opinion and rile some people up. :)

No idea what Vanquish is.

Maybe not. I figured I'd share my opinion and rile some people up. :)

No idea what Vanquish is.

To be fair, you didn't really phrase it as an opinion. It sounds like YOU just don't like Japanese games, but that doesn't mean that they don't make good games in general.

To be fair, you didn't really phrase it as an opinion. It sounds like YOU just don't like Japanese games, but that doesn't mean that they don't make good games in general.

In my opinion, they don't. Obviously, I haven't played them all but so far my experiences suggest they don't. I stated my opinion and my reasons for it. The Street Fighter series is about all that comes to mind that I've liked from Japanese studios in years.

As far as Street Fighter goes their stories are crap, but the game play is solid.

this game just doesn't look good to me...at least Metal Gear Solid had solid gameplay mixed in with some weird elements...Death Stranding looks like 80% weirdness and 20% of solid gameplay

this game just doesn't look good to me...at least Metal Gear Solid had solid gameplay mixed in with some weird elements...Death Stranding looks like 80% weirdness and 20% of solid gameplay

Yeah it really does look like 80% traversing terrain. I'm not sure how I feel about it, but I am still very intrigued about the plot.

Maybe Kojima is pulling a MGS2 again and only showing us like the first 90 mins of the game, then it will switch to Silent Hills. Would be epic. :D

In my opinion, they don't. Obviously, I haven't played them all but so far my experiences suggest they don't. I stated my opinion and my reasons for it. The Street Fighter series is about all that comes to mind that I've liked from Japanese studios in years.

As far as Street Fighter goes their stories are crap, but the game play is solid.
Honestly since the PS3 the quality of Jap games have drastically nose dived. Sure there are some good games but generally they are just some weird niche games. It is just a bunch of weebos that like to jerk of the Japs.

Nier Automata is actually the worst example. Well it’s a good one to try and prove what you dislike about the games but it’s a poor one with any understanding of Yoko Taro and the history of Cavia.

In short, Yoko Taro is a madman who basically hates gamers and is buddy buddy with SquareEnix. Drakengard (first game in the series) is literally him just trying to make fun of Dynasty Warrior style games. Playing that game is a horrible chore. But the fucked up dark story is what makes it.

That’s sort of his MO. Punishing players with poor gameplay design. Honestly the fact that Automata lacked most of that is because Platinum handled it, and blending genres is nothing new. Nier had a choose you own text adventure in the middle of it.

As for the story of Automata, there’s a ton of history from Drakengard to Nier to Automata. Not really as simple Humans vs Robots trope.

If people don’t like it or other Japanese games fine. Doesn’t mean they aren’t good.

View attachment 186722

View attachment 186723

View attachment 186725

I agree with a lot of this but not on every point. I'll also say that the gameplay of Nier was pretty good (IMO) as I thought it was one of the better fighting style games I've played. The story itself was okay but lower production values and as you mentioned, repetitive gameplay (the hole 9S section of the game is almost 100% the same as 2B) and whatnot hamper it. As such the story delivery was hampered by long pauses of retreading.

I'll also add this bit I really don't like:

Japanese games just can't be sensible or realistic. Most games make heavy use of fiction, but some try and create authentic feeling, sensible worlds. Japanese games just cannot do this. Using Nier as an example again you hear characters talk like 10 year olds occasionally; the conversation with your operator crying over the intercom because someone didn't want to be their friend as an example. Stereotypical anime speak that just sucks you out of an otherwise serious story and setting. Or the Metal Gear games, sensible bits of story and then something entirely awkward and out there just smacks you in the face.

I can't think of a single Japanese game I played that could stick to a single serious theme throughout without intentionally being awkward and cringe worthy.

From Software is my all time favorite developer...always guaranteed an epic bug free game...you can't really make broad statements about geography and games...you may not like certain developers/publishers but that should not apply to every developer from a certain region of the world...unless you've played a lot of Japanese games you can't really have an informed opinion on them as a whole

I mean...the PC port of Dark Souls was shit, tho.

that was more of a porting to PC issue (1st time for From Soft)...the game itself was pretty much bug free...plus most people used the DSFix mod...each subsequent game on PC has gotten better and better

Japanese games just can't be sensible or realistic. Most games make heavy use of fiction, but some try and create authentic feeling, sensible worlds. Japanese games just cannot do this. Using Nier as an example again you hear characters talk like 10 year olds occasionally; the conversation with your operator crying over the intercom because someone didn't want to be their friend as an example. Stereotypical anime speak that just sucks you out of an otherwise serious story and setting. Or the Metal Gear games, sensible bits of story and then something entirely awkward and out there just smacks you in the face.

I can't think of a single Japanese game I played that could stick to a single serious theme throughout without intentionally being awkward and cringe worthy.

Well, from what I remember Shenmue and Yakuza series are both pretty serious/realistic. Yakuza so much so that later games aren’t even dubbed if I recall rightly.

On the whole serious plus goofy theme it’s creating a juxtaposition within the story and gameplay. It’s a necessity actually. It might not always be handled well, but if a game is always 100% go go go without the little breaks in action, it wears on the mind. And Japan being so culturally different from us, their idea of a juxtaposition is night and day, go kill a giant monster then take a break with some fishing. Versus finish a firefight, and have some exposition on the world around you as you walk through some slums to the next battleground. I like both.

Well, from what I remember Shenmue and Yakuza series are both pretty serious/realistic. Yakuza so much so that later games aren’t even dubbed if I recall rightly.

On the whole serious plus goofy theme it’s creating a juxtaposition within the story and gameplay. It’s a necessity actually. It might not always be handled well, but if a game is always 100% go go go without the little breaks in action, it wears on the mind. And Japan being so culturally different from us, their idea of a juxtaposition is night and day, go kill a giant monster then take a break with some fishing. Versus finish a firefight, and have some exposition on the world around you as you walk through some slums to the next battleground. I like both.

I only ever watched a gameplay video of the recent Yakuza, but the gameplay at the minimum seemed silly. Not quite Saint's Row outrageous, but certainly not Sleeping Dogs.

You can have little breaks in action without having a supposed adult (or in the case of Nier, an adult android) squeal and cry over a radio over something very petty. It is fine to enjoy that style but again I can't think of any Japanese game that doesn't feature something so outrageously stupid and out of place at some point. Japanese games can often create very interesting themes and settings and it would be nice if one kept a consistent, serious tone throughout.

I mean...the PC port of Dark Souls was shit, tho.
No, it really wasn't. The only issue it had was the locked 1280x720 internal resolution that got upscaled at higher resolutions, which was addressed by the community within days of release.

No, it really wasn't. The only issue it had was the locked 1280x720 internal resolution that got upscaled at higher resolutions, which was addressed by the community within days of release.

I'm sorry, but that's a bad port. The game itself might be absolutely fantastic, but any developer looking to port a game to PC should know better than to make such a bonehead move. The community shouldn't need to fix something that basic.

I'm sorry, but that's a bad port. The game itself might be absolutely fantastic, but any developer looking to port a game to PC should know better than to make such a bonehead move. The community shouldn't need to fix something that basic.

He at least apologized for it. Japanese culture doesn't get PC culture. PCs take up a lot of space and when your whole home is the size of a closet, consoles are a much better fit.

https://www.pcgamer.com/dark-souls-...promises-sequel-will-be-a-good-pc-experience/

View attachment 186722

View attachment 186723

View attachment 186725

Somehow missed all your posts before my last one, hah.

I'm just curious; have you played any of the Metal Gear games from Kojima? I'd like to know how those compare for you. Those games I guess seem to follow some of the same tropes you mentioned (man vs machine, overly complex story, some sexualized characters), but so do a lot of non-Japanese games and I think the MSG games that Kojima produced are a bit more westernized than other Japanese games.

Having said that and without watching that 45 min video of the first part of Death Stranding, it looks like this game is going to be even more story-driven than the MGS games and that means probably as much or more cut scenes as them here. Which I'm game for as long as it's interesting, as I've liked many games like that as well.

Back