Death Stranding - New Kojima game

Discussion in 'Console Gaming & Acc.' started by Eshelmen, Jun 13, 2016.

1. polonyc2

polonyc2 [H]ard as it Gets

only Kojima knows!...I think even after finishing the game most people still won't know what the game is about...I do love the visuals, first rate facial animation

2. bigdogchris

bigdogchris [H]ard as it Gets

I love the youtube comments:

Norman Reedus: What's this game about?

Kojima: Yes.

3. zamardii12

zamardii12 2[H]4U

I pre-ordered the Collector's Edition. I really need that life-size BB Pod statue and case. lol

Btw, anyone else notice how incredible the graphics and environmental effects are in that trailer? Looks incredible. Sony really pulled something amazing off with that PS4 Pro hardware at that price point.

47959124602_56a267659a_b.jpg

T4rd, BiH115 and Armenius like this.
  4. polonyc2

Over on the PlayStation Blog there's a message from Hideo Kojima:

"People have created 'Walls' and become accustomed to living in isolation.

"Death Stranding is a completely new type of action game, where the goal of the player is to reconnect isolated cities and a fragmented society. It is created so that all elements, including the story and gameplay, are bound together by the theme of the 'Strand' or connection.

"As Sam Porter Bridges, you will attempt to bridge the divides in society, and in doing create new bonds or 'Strands' with other players around the globe. Through your experience playing the game, I hope you'll come to understand the true importance of forging connections with others

https://blog.us.playstation.com/2019/05/29/death-stranding-available-november-8-on-ps4/

Pieter3dnow likes this.
  5. zamardii12

zamardii12 2[H]4U

Sounds really cool. I am curious what happened to America in this world. "United Cities of America" I saw on that door.

6. Armenius

Armenius I Drive Myself to the [H]ospital

They're using arousing levels of photogrammetry in this game. It's the same method The Astronauts used in The Vanishing of Ethan Carter.

7. BiH115

BiH115 Gif Guy

I just did the same after watching the trailer, thanks for the heads up. I'm pretty damn pumped up after watching, and I love my collector's editions.

The visuals definitely look fantastic, but I'm also really impressed with the animations. I'm glad we're finally getting to see some actual gameplay. Atmosphere looks incredible an varied, and those sound effects seem top-notch. I have big expectations.

T4rd, Armenius and zamardii12 like this.
  8. zamardii12

zamardii12 2[H]4U

Same here. I am really curious what a unhinged Kojima is able to put out there... Kojima is good at selling misinformation, and I think a lot of what we saw in the new trailer is minimal or even far from what we actually got from it. There is a lot more going on than what we've been shown. That World War 1 environment really looked cool, and I actually just watched Mads Mikkelson in Arctic the other day and I am pumped to see more of him in this.

Armenius and BiH115 like this.
  9. BiH115

BiH115 Gif Guy

I did catch that WW1 environment, wonder what that's all about? Also the end of the trailer where Mads is in the swamp water with the skeleton soldiers, as if he's able to go in and out of the two worlds at will (who was talking during that scene, didn't have his accent)?

I just found out there's an online store, about to grab a few t-shirts and other trinkets: https://kojimaproductions-store.com/

Last edited: May 29, 2019
    Armenius likes this.
  10. pandora's box

pandora's box [H]ardness Supreme

That trailer looks fucking amazing, looks like we have a contender for best looking game this generation. I wasn't so sure about this game - but after that trailer I'm preordering it.

Armenius likes this.
  11. 4saken

4saken [H]ardForum Junkie

Not saying im hating on it. Might be a storytelling masterpiece in its own right. And it looks amazing. But watching 8 minutes of that made me just think about how boring the gameplay looks.

12. Eshelmen

Eshelmen [H]ardness Supreme

Open world? Closed world segments? Shooter? RPG? Cinematics every few minutes? Horror? Sci-Fi?
    WTF?

It's a cluster of everything, and I love it!

T4rd, scojer, Armenius and 1 other person like this.
  13. polonyc2

shows you just how dominant Sony is that they can release both Death Stranding and Last of Us 2 at the end of cycle and have zero concerns...most companies would just wait for the next-gen consoles before releasing their big games but Sony has so many amazing exclusives in the pipeline that they can throw them out any time...good luck Microsoft

exlink, Armenius and Eshelmen like this.
  14. cageymaru

cageymaru [H]ard as it Gets

Armenius and zamardii12 like this.
  15. BiH115

BiH115 Gif Guy

giphy.gif

T4rd and Armenius like this.
  16. MavericK

MavericK Zero Cool

I gotta say, I can see where 4saken is coming from. Like 80% of the gameplay we have seen so far is just walking around a lifeless world. Seems like this will be a game that is mostly story.

I am still really interested in this game and I'm sure it'll be a trip one way or the other, but gameplay wise...yeah, I am not overly impressed.

4saken likes this.
  17. BiH115

BiH115 Gif Guy

No, I get it. The gun play part in particular in the WW1 area looked a bit lacking. I’m hoping as we near release we see more substantial gameplay.

4saken likes this.
  18. 4saken

4saken [H]ardForum Junkie

I'm a big kojima fan, but i just hope "art" doesn't supplant an overall great experience. Trying to not get my hopes up is probably the root of my semi-skepticism.

Colonel Sanders likes this.
  19. Colonel Sanders

Colonel Sanders 2[H]4U

This is pretty much how I feel about it, too. If MGS5 is any indication though, it should be pretty solid at least, which would allow the creative storytelling to push it into "greatness" territory. This and The Last of Us 2 are the only games I'm even looking forward to for 2019.

4saken likes this.
  20. BiH115

BiH115 Gif Guy

I'm hoping so too. Trying to stay positive based on the morsel of footage we received (which did look great).

That's a shame, because there are a ton of great games coming out this year for varied platforms. I understand if it's a preference thing though, only being interested in certain games or genres.

4saken likes this.
  21. polonyc2

Death Stranding Trailer Analysis: The Decima Engine Evolved?

22. exlink

exlink [H]ardness Supreme

I have a feeling both these titles will be on the PS5 as well just like TLOU made its way from the PS3 to the PS4. But...I don't think I can wait until the PS5 to play them as I've been looking forward to both for years.

Kinsaras and Colonel Sanders like this.
  23. Colonel Sanders

Colonel Sanders 2[H]4U

lol, exactly. I'd love to be able to wait for PS5 to get the "full" experience because I'm certain they will be ported to PS5 as remastered or "complete editions," but there is no way I'd be able to sit on my hands and wait until that time. I have not been looking forward to a game as much as I am TLoU2 in a looooong time, and to a slightly lesser extent Death Stranding.

Kinsaras likes this.
  24. Domingo

Domingo [H]ard as it Gets

With the level of detail they're showing in the videos, I don't know if the PS4 could even handle anything beyond wandering in a mostly world. The few action sequences we've seen look pretty choppy thus far.
    I feel like this is a title that probably needs the PS5 horsepower.

25. bigdogchris

New trailer came out a few days ago. Surprised you guys missed it. :D

26. T4rd

T4rd [H]ardForum Junkie

27. bigdogchris

That video makes it sound like there are two worlds to visit, one of life and one of death. Heartman refers to the "visit". Kind of plays into the idea that the game allows you to keep being reborn. The BB Pod to me seems like a tool used to either stay in one world or prevent being taken into another.

In the trailer from a couple months back you see Heartman being dragged along the ground without his AED. On the other side he apparently doesn't need it, but it is still wearing the wrist device.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2019
  28. Viper87227

Viper87227 [H]ard as it Gets

Agree 100% on TLOU2. That's pretty much a guaranteed day one purchase for me, and a game i'd probably be willing to rebuy on PS5 if the improvement was significant enough. I've more than gotten my money's worth out of the first game.

DS, not so much. I'm mildly curious about the game, but really only because of the hype and secrecy surrounding it. The reality is that any gameplay I've seen looks boring. The story will probably be interesting, but being a HK game it'll probably also be complete fucking nonsense util you've played it six times through. There was a time where Kojima's name on a game made it super interesting to me. As games get bigger, it makes it sound like a chore. MGS1 & 2 are still some of my all time favorite games. Party because despite their confusing plots, they were short enough that I could play them several times through and actually figure out what's going on. That said, MGS2 is the last Metal Gear game I've seen the ending on. Each one after that I burned out on on the first attempt, and never bothered to go back and try again. Their wackiness combined with their increasing scope just because too much. This is my biggest concern for DS is that it looks like yet another open world game (just what the industry needed!) and I'm thinking the gameplay itself is going to be too tedious and repetitive to even make it through one go, let alone several to try and unravel the story.

29. Youn

Youn [H]ardness Supreme

+10000...

...dislikes! if game sucks I hope it gets no money... looks good though, we agree there :D

30. polonyc2

Death Stranding - Gameplay Demo Gamescom 2019

the game looks really weird even by Kojima standards...I really don't see this as being anything more then a glorified indie game masquerading as a AAA title...it's way too obtuse and obscure for the casual gamer and looks more like one of those David Lynch movies which gets a lot of praise for it's style over substance...this will not meet expectations...

Last edited: Aug 19, 2019 at 6:31 PM
    Kinsaras likes this.
  31. DrezKill

DrezKill Limp Gawd

32. bigdogchris

The only questionable aspect of the game I have seen is the large open areas. They seem rather barren. Of course it's hard to judge that without knowing the context of how the areas are used in game. Kojima does not release bad games, though. I trust it will turn out good.

33. polonyc2

yeah it's devoid of life...Norman Reedus sitting down for 10 minutes, peeing, walking up a ladder to another empty area etc

34. Colonel Sanders

Colonel Sanders 2[H]4U

Is there any more to the rumor of this not being a PS exclusive?

35. polonyc2

news out of Gamescom was that the 'Exclusive for PlayStation' logo was plastered all over the game

Colonel Sanders likes this.