Death Stranding (first title from Kojima Productions)

As far as I know, the developer has to manually update the game files.

It is possible to copy/paste the updated DLSS files between games. And it seems to give benefits. Whether or not it gives ALL of the potential benefits compared to the developer intentionally doing it, I am not sure.

Nvidia rep here confirmed in this thread it updates DLSS for Cyberpunk through GeForce Experience

A DLSS update is pushed through GeForce Experience. Simply launch the game twice, once initially which will download the update. Then on the next time the game is launched, it should have the new DLL with DLSS 2.3 support.

https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comments/qv8j0c/comment/hl2z083/

Someone at L1 says Shadow off the Tomb Raider too

https://forum.level1techs.com/t/dlss-version-getting-automatically-updated-for-cyberpunk-2077/178726

I guess only certain titles still.

Hard to find info now vs when I first heard of it.

wow I'm surprised today's giveaway is the Director's Cut of Death Stranding...I'm in!...the biggest freebie yet as part of the Mystery giveaway...AC: Origins is rumored to be coming on the 28th...hopefully some more big surprises as well

Epic removed the free Director's Cut and now only the Standard version is free...so it was a mistake...I knew that they wouldn't make the DC free...apparently they are also removing the Director's Cut from people's Library that claimed it for free

LOL what a Joke I wasn't going to install it anyway due to the size. They must be messed up to make a mistake like that.

Yea I'm reading on Reddit that they took down the game that both versions are unavailable.

Doesn't DLSS dynamically update someway to the latest DLL on all games (eventually) through GeForce Experience? Or was that only certain titles?
NVidia rep claimed that was going to be the case but there is scant and anecdotal evidence that it is actually happening. I had GeForce Experience installed for half of this year (to try Freestyle), no DLSS auto-updates occurred. I don't personally know anybody who has confirmed they've been getting any DLSS updates thru GFE or NV driver, only seen scattered claims on the 'web.

Manually updating from the TPU page is the way to go anyways, so you can select the best versions which are not always the latest ones. For instance, out of an inexplicable four revisions of 2.4.12, two are considered "better" as far as artifacts go and 2.4.6 is generally considered to be as good or better than all of them, and 2.4.13 is an outright downgrade in many respects, while 2.5.0 is better in some ways and worse in others.

Generally speaking, all of the 2.4.x and now 2.5.x revisions are anywhere from a little to a lot better than earlier versions in performance and detail, especially in "Performance" and "Ultra Performance" modes. There are significant differences though in artifacts- moire, ghosting, shimmering, blocky/blurry distant objects... I can't really keep up, fortunately a pal of mine is a bit of a DLSS connoisseur so I just ask her what the best one currently is!

I still have the Directors Cut I think Epic they downgraded it though after the first hour or so. Directors Cut is about a 10 gig plus bigger install like 79 gigs while the regular version was like 67 gigs now both versions are showing up.

I don't have the directors cut, but tbh, not sure it ever showed up as such. I just clicked get game and went on with my day. However, I do see my original receipt from early today does only say Death Stranding, not the Directors cut. So they have a leg to stand on imo.

Still have the Directors Cut it's like the grinch who stole Epic going to download it anyway despite the 78 gig size.

I am not sure Epic is going to remove it from the people that got it in that first hour. I know I missed that because I didn't check till late afternoon which is a shame because I ended up buying the DC for $6 but I don't really mind since the DC is totally worth the asking price if you are using a DualSense controller. It works great with this game and fits the gameplay perfectly with how the triggers are used as you go around the world.

DEATH STRANDING DIRECTOR'S CUT 1_6_2023 8_22_18 AM.png

She helped me get past the Footprint in the Mud guys but she eats Grubs.

DEATH STRANDING DIRECTOR'S CUT 1_6_2023 8_29_37 AM.png

I always wanted to work for the USPS

I really like this game 1st part of the game was a Giant 1 hour cut scene but that is good basically USPS and UPS and maybe Amazon are the only people who walk the Earth in the future. This is the directors cut so Epic didn't remove it from my library.

Last edited:
This isn't a game where you control stuff it's a pick your Netflix Movie. Just watched another hour of cut scenes I think the game is finally taking off.
Where I'm doing missions on Episode 2. I see what you mean about the names of the characters maybe it got lost in translation unless the game is just trolling.

Episode 2 is when you get to the "real game." If you like or don't like that chapter, that's what the rest of the game will be like. More or less. Kojima's character names are always ridiculous and I have wondered if it's a language thing. To me the weirdest thing about Death Stranding = all of the acronyms they keep throwing around. The game makes a hell of a lot more sense once they start explaining the full names for everything. When they finally do, you'll wonder why things were kept obtuse for like 1/2 the game. I generally liked the story and the lore of the world (once it's finally explained) but the gameplay got old for me.
Pro Tip: You can accomplish your goals by blowing by enemies and hazards at top speed. It's less risky and less tedious, too.

In-universe​

• Die-Hardman's mask has text on its forehead that reads "BR-10-14P-9999 LUDENS.”
  • At one point Deadman asks Sam why Die-Hardman wears the mask, since Sam had known him for longer. Sam replies that he was told it was to hide burns on his face.
    • It is later revealed that his face is not damaged at all, and he was simply using it to hide his identity.

Out-of-universe​

• Die-Hardman first appeared in artwork at TGS 2018.
  • Die-Hardman is a reference to Die Hard, one of Hideo Kojima's favorite films. His alias is a direct reference, while his real name is a reference to John McClane, the lead character in the film, portrayed by actor Bruce Willis.

As if wearing a creepy mask wasn't very obvious, especially when his voice sounded exactly the same. I know it is a video game, but I found it a bit dumb.

the free version available on the Epic Store is still the Standard Edition...but the Director's Cut upgrade is on sale for $5...so it's still a good deal...free + $5 for the much better Director's Cut

Nice tip. Will probably pick up the DC later today.. I wanted to play this but it looked a little slow... maybe.. but visually stunning.. for sure worth 5 bucks to try it out. Thanks!

At WWDC 23, legendary game designer Hideo Kojima appeared on the virtual stage to announce that Death Stranding Director's Cut would be coming to Mac later this year...

Yeah saw that.. I still need to install and play it but I did grab it up when it was 4.99 for the directors cut on epic. Looks like a wonderful visual experience to say the least.

Mac but not Xbox? Must feel bad to be an Xbox fan. I know this will never end up on Xbox due to the game engine though.

Back