Death Row Inmate Gets New Trial Because of Tweet

HardOCP News

[H] News
What kind of idiot uses Twitter during a murder trial so that something like this can happen? Seriously, this sounds like the plot for a bad made-for-TV movie or something.

The Arkansas Supreme Court on Thursday tossed out a death row inmate's murder conviction and said he deserves a new trial because one juror slept and another tweeted during court proceedings. Erickson Dimas-Martinez's attorneys had appealed his 2010 murder conviction because a juror sent the tweets despite the judge's instruction not to post on the Internet or communicate with anyone about the case. The lawyers also complained that another juror slept.

What kind of shitty court lets the Jurors keep their phone during the trial? *facepalm*

And this is why the justice system is fucked beyond repair. I shudder at the idea of being judged by my "peers"...knowing that most people are just flat out stupid and lazy minded.

And this is why the justice system is fucked beyond repair. I shudder at the idea of being judged by my "peers"...knowing that most people are just flat out stupid and lazy minded.

This guy probably loves it that he's being judged by his peers.

Favorite quote of mine

"When you go to court you are putting your fate into the hands of twelve people who weren’t smart enough to get out of jury duty"

FYI this had nothing to do with the tweet, but the fact that 2 jurors were not paying attention.

Overall I think the jury system is fucked up because 1) its a requirement and 2) financial compensation is laughable at best as not everyone has a job where their employers continue to pay them.

If I got paid some sort of just compensation, I wouldn't mind jury duty, however I think around here you get like $15/day if you serve more than 1 day. I mean really? $15 per fucking day? There are lots of jury related expenses that are paid for by those bringing the trial, why not tack on a few more bucks for your jury!

Favorite quote of mine

"When you go to court you are putting your fate into the hands of twelve people who weren’t smart enough to get out of jury duty"

FYI this had nothing to do with the tweet, but the fact that 2 jurors were not paying attention.

Overall I think the jury system is fucked up because 1) its a requirement and 2) financial compensation is laughable at best as not everyone has a job where their employers continue to pay them.

If I got paid some sort of just compensation, I wouldn't mind jury duty, however I think around here you get like $15/day if you serve more than 1 day. I mean really? $15 per fucking day? There are lots of jury related expenses that are paid for by those bringing the trial, why not tack on a few more bucks for your jury!

I think the point is that you "ask not what your country can do for you..."

How about the just compensation gained from the satisfaction of fulfilling your civic duty?

Well, I've been in jury duty three time now. I sat around in a room until I was told to go home the first two times, but the third, I was called up and chosen for a trial. I felt it was my duty, even though I was only getting the base pay, to stay and hear out the trial. I stayed and heard the case. the police and prosecutors were lazy beyond belief, and they charged the wrong man. If I hadn't been on that trial, I don't know if this guy would have been cleared or not. I certainly hope if I were in his situation that there would be at least one of me on that jury.

Anyone who 'gets out" of jury duty on some lame excuse doesn't deserve a jury trial, even if they're innocent of what they're charged, because they refuse to participate in the system. For this system to work, and for us to have a fair shake from being falsely charged and jailed, we all have to do our part. If you don't do your part, you shouldn't have use of the system. Plain and simple.

Now, back to the main subject: I find it totally ridiculous to dismiss a verdict because someone tweeted something. I can understand not giving out information on the trial itself because of publicity, and someone who would do that should be fined. I can understand not having information come in from outside sources, and cases with that situation should be dismissed. However, having a case dismissed because someone just put out a tweet that he's still in jury duty?? That's just absolutely asinine. Many of the judges today have no concept of much of technology, and shouldn't be allowed to serve specifically because of this lack of understanding. If they understood, such things wouldn't happen. If they are so incompetent at technology, they're obviously too incompetent to serve as judges.

Favorite quote of mine

If that was you in the defendants seat on charges for murder and robbery, you'd want 12 people who gave a damn about your case in the jury box. What is it the christians always say, do unto others as you would have done unto you. Seems pretty f!@#in' appropriate in this situation.

Any kind of decent employee pays you your normal wage during jury duty and you have to give them the money that the State gives you.

Your just compensation is that you get to live in a country where there is actually due process as opposed to being set to jail on a whim.

Any kind of decent employee pays you your normal wage during jury duty and you have to give them the money that the State gives you.

Your just compensation is that you get to live in a country where there is actually due process as opposed to being set to jail on a whim.

Right, because in Israel.. 99% of the population is locked up.

I'd rather be tried by a JUDGE instead of 12 idiots anyday.

Unless you have a mean judge. But then you can request 3.

Hey good for you, and we're glad that's working out for Israel, but there's at least a couple hundred million Americans who are glad they have the option to trial by jury if they ever need it.

I'm sure you can apply for citizenship in Isreal, right? No?

The judge is going to handle the sentencing, the court is going assist the jury to make a competent decision. It doesn't always work because there are people involved. Whether it is 3 judges or 12 jury members and a judge, people can be idiots. That's life.

Just because this guy needs to be re-tried, doesn't mean he is going to walk free if he is guilty.

How about the just compensation gained from the satisfaction of fulfilling your civic duty?

I am gonna have to ask you how well that satisfaction pays for your home, car, food on the table etc if the trial turns out to be lengthy..

I seriously hate when people post retarded overly idealistic drivel like that.

I am gonna have to ask you how well that satisfaction pays for your home, car, food on the table etc if the trial turns out to be lengthy..

The pittance jury duty pays is indeed pretty unsatisfying, downright lame. I think I got like $15 for showing up the first day for selection, got sent home without being selected, wasted the entire day of productive work I could have done for way more than that. That's what, a few cups of Starbucks?

If they paid you more, wouldn't that just raise taxes?

This. I'd rather be tried by a judge vs regular citizens. I actually don't agree with the jury system at all, in my opinion it's retarded. The court system should be as professional as possible and not allow regular people to be a part of a jury. If a court system is going to use a jury system the jury should be made up of a set group of judges that actually know what they're doing instead of any old regular joe schmo that might have a weird sense of morals or might be racist.

According to the United States department of labor bureau of labor statistics employee benefit survey, 87% of workers in private industry have access to some form of paid jury duty leave compensation. So I guess it pays just as well in most cases.

And it's not idealistic drivel, some people actually care that they're participating in their democracy :eek:

This. I'd rather be tried by a judge vs regular citizens. I actually don't agree with the jury system at all, in my opinion it's retarded. The court system should be as professional as possible and not allow regular people to be a part of a jury. If a court system is going to use a jury system the jury should be made up of a set group of judges that actually know what they're doing instead of any old regular joe schmo that might have a weird sense of morals or might be racist.

I'd rather not be tried by an overworked, jaded judge. Yes you're more likely to have your fate in the hand of 12 idiots, but at least it's just a coin flip than a judge who is more likely just to lock your ass up because it's easier and he's seen too much BS to have much empathy left.

Except that one racist Joe Schmo isn't going to sway the jury into handing down a guilty verdict whereas one jury member who has reasonable doubt is enough to either deadlock or hand down an acquittal.

There's a joke among trial lawyers that only the stupid get selected for jury duty. The smart get unselected for jury duty. :D

Oh yeah, definitely this. Her case had nothing to do with the fact that the prosecution just didn't have a solid case against her, not at all.

/sarcasm

Didn't have a solid case or mishandled evidence? There's a pretty big difference there.

he should walk free.
the court, including judge and prosecutor failed to do their job in ensuring a just and fair trial.

This is what happens when a "jury of your peers" consists of 12 people too dumb to find a way to get out of jury duty.

Back