Dear Microsoft: Please Stop Breaking My Perfectly Good Windows 7

HardOCP News

[H] News
Oh come on, breaking your old OS to get you to upgrade to a new OS seems like a great strategy. ;)

How can vendors expect to migrate reluctant users to more reliable and up-to-date operating systems like Windows 10 or El Capitan -- especially when upgrade notices and reminders break earlier versions?

Microsoft seem to have a real bird up their ass when it comes to getting people off Windows 7.

Now that's a sentiment I feel strongly about myself of late with all the retroactive telemetry crap they're pushing. If they want to do that with Windows 10 which is their end-product-now-a-rolling-release thing, that's fine and in some respects I can actually understand it and accept it, but since they don't give two shits from a rat's ass about Windows 7 anymore then I surely wish they'd just stop pushing the telemetry crap on those of us that prefer Windows 7 and will continue to use it even in spite of Windows 10 being free of any monetary cost.

I simply can't stand Windows 10, it offers nothing to me over Windows 7 which is (in my experience of using it since the first leaked beta) rock solid and I still consider it to be the best operating system Microsoft ever created.

They really are starting to piss me and many others - and now Ed Bott who's not just some average person in terms of computer users, not by a long shot - with this crap and it needs to stop, fast.

They don't want another XP.
How f*cked up is it when a company hates that they made a product that people felt they actually got their money's worth out of, and could use for a long time before they finally managed to make something better. And then, they continue to make updates and support for it, but will only give it to you if you pay them millions of dollars more. I mean, they've already written all the code. It wouldn't cost them anything to release it to all the rest of the users, since they've already gotten the windfall from the U.S. gov't. After all, WE technically own the gov't, dammit, I'm paying over $20K in taxes this year again so at least I could get some residual XP support that the navy's getting.

How f*cked up is it when a company hates that they made a product that people felt they actually got their money's worth out of, and could use for a long time before they finally managed to make something better. And then, they continue to make updates and support for it, but will only give it to you if you pay them millions of dollars more. I mean, they've already written all the code. It wouldn't cost them anything to release it to all the rest of the users, since they've already gotten the windfall from the U.S. gov't. After all, WE technically own the gov't, dammit, I'm paying over $20K in taxes this year again so at least I could get some residual XP support that the navy's getting.

Those same customers constantly call support asking why they can't do things only the next OS could do but refuse to upgrade. I have dealt with those too often, "why does product A not do what the new product B does?" "umm, because it isn't product B, would you like a link to purchase it?" and then they hang up because they want free features of new stuff.

I wonder how desperate Microsoft will get when 2021 gets closer and the marketshare of Windows 7 is still at 60%.

Why does Microsoft not care about their consumers? I don't get it. WIN 7 is awesome.

"Perfectly Good Windows 7"
Windows 7 always sucked. It was Windows Vista light, and Windows Vista it remains.

Windows XP remains in the running not just because it was good, but because Microsoft hasn't given us an actually good Windows since.

Anyone who enjoys Windows 7 has simply brainwashed themselves into liking it. Especially if they dislike Windows 8 (with classic shell installed), and especially if they dislike Windows 10 - because there's such minimal differences that, yes, we're seriously still whining about Vista vs. Vista with a new hat, vs. Vista with a new paint job, vs. Vista with Cortana in a snazzy suit.

So this guy has a point for regular users.
He should be able to disable the update on his own... its only a registry switch.
The GWX Control Panel will do all of this for you.

Those same customers constantly call support asking why they can't do things only the next OS could do but refuse to upgrade. I have dealt with those too often, "why does product A not do what the new product B does?" "umm, because it isn't product B, would you like a link to purchase it?" and then they hang up because they want free features of new stuff.
Customers are the best way in losing faith with humanity.

I finally got the Windows 10 nagging to stop.
But I fear that MS is mucking about with my OS anyway.

I resisted Vista. I wnt so far as to buy an ASUS G1S that WinXP was not supported on and custom built(slipstreamed) my own XP install disk with compatable drivers I hunted down and added on my own to make it work. For instance, the web cam in the G1S was a Chicony model that was also on other ASUS laptop models that did have WinXP drivers that I was able to download and add to my Windows install disk, etc.

But I have to say, eventually when Win7 came out I bought three full retail copys, 2 of Pro and 1 of Ultimate. From the moment I installed it I was impressed. I remember fighting to try and keep my home network up and running, (Internet Connection Sharing anyone?), Win7 installed, discovered, and set my home network up for me, added my printer, etc, all easy as hell. I was impressed. My games pretty much all work. A few needed compatability mode, but it was rare that one wouldn't work.

I liked 7. But 7 cost me over $600 for three machines, so far 10 has been a free upgrade. It's been frustrating and I dispise that MS thinks they have to unify the platforms, my computers are not phones, but I think they will surender sooner or later. How else can they repeat previous failures.

Microsoft seem to have a real bird up their ass when it comes to getting people off Windows 7.

It's crazy because people JUST finished upgrading from XP now they want them to move AGAIN? How about they stop being so desperate and pushy. Considering the amount of work it is to upgrade (especially companies) they should do like lot of Linux distros and have LTS releases. Those should be good for at least 10 years.

Right now win7 is the only real option at this point for a Windows desktop OS. 8 is a joke, and 10 is still too new and beta. Not to mention the spy stuff.

MS does not like people sticking with an OS... maybe stop making really crappy OSes in between the good ones that you're trying to get people off of. :p

From an elevated command prompt, run: "wusa /uninstall /KB:3035583".
Then, hide the update when it is offered again.

Windows 7 always sucked. It was Windows Vista light, and Windows Vista it remains.

Windows XP remains in the running not just because it was good, but because Microsoft hasn't given us an actually good Windows since.

Anyone who enjoys Windows 7 has simply brainwashed themselves into liking it. Especially if they dislike Windows 8 (with classic shell installed), and especially if they dislike Windows 10 - because there's such minimal differences that, yes, we're seriously still whining about Vista vs. Vista with a new hat, vs. Vista with a new paint job, vs. Vista with Cortana in a snazzy suit.

Vista did suck, but Windows 7 fixed most the problems, and the rest of the issues where fixed by getting rid of legacy programs and hardware.

Windows 7 was a major improvement over XP.

As for not liking Windows 8, it's simple. The Metro interface sucked, and having to install a 3rd party GUI that could be broken by an update was not a solution many people wanted. Especially business, since I'm not going to put my job on the line over a 3rd party GUI to fix Microsoft's mess.

As for Windows 10, I'm still waiting. It is an improvement over 8, but I still prefer the Windows 7 GUI.
I may eventually start upgrading the office to 10, but I'm still in a wait-and-see mode.

Thanks for this and the GWX link. I've been doing this manually but it is getting tiresome.

Thanks for this and the GWX link. I've been doing this manually but it is getting tiresome.

Pretty sad statement about Microsoft when you have to run the equivalent of an anti-malware tool against them, and thwart their abuse of the windows update system as an advertising and marketing tool.

The developer of the GWX program thingy has been saying that it's been getting circumvented by MS in some cases...like it's on his website. I went through the registry manually and took permissions over on anything with GWX.exe in it and deleted it, then manually deleted the folder that contains the GWX stuff, but I also have used my Windows 7 loaded netbook like once since then for a few minutes without giving it Internet access anymore.

It's not really that Windows 10 is that bad of an OS. It's that MS is pushing it so hard that I can't help but feel like I should resist them whether or not it's rational. I also really don't like the data collection stuff and the whole Windows Store idea . Plus the tiles in the Start menu are pretty useless and there's all those Metro/Modern UI programs that can't be uninstalled even if you don't want them. Like a clean Windows 10 install is like loaded with junkware. Besides all that, Linux Mint has really be an easy to use and very well behaved alternative so there's like no reason to deal with the stupid Microsoft thing anymore.

you are cute

as of a couple weeks ago the list was

Code:

wusa /uninstall /kb:3065988 /quiet /norestart

wusa /uninstall /kb:2976978 /quiet /norestart

wusa /uninstall /kb:3075853 /quiet /norestart

wusa /uninstall /kb:3065987 /quiet /norestart

wusa /uninstall /kb:3050265 /quiet /norestart

wusa /uninstall /kb:3050267 /quiet /norestart

wusa /uninstall /kb:3075851 /quiet /norestart

wusa /uninstall /kb:2902907 /quiet /norestart

wusa /uninstall /kb:3068708 /quiet /norestart

wusa /uninstall /kb:3022345 /quiet /norestart

wusa /uninstall /kb:2952664 /quiet /norestart

wusa /uninstall /kb:2990214 /quiet /norestart

wusa /uninstall /kb:3035583 /quiet /norestart

wusa /uninstall /kb:971033 /quiet /norestart

wusa /uninstall /kb:3021917 /quiet /norestart

wusa /uninstall /kb:3044374 /quiet /norestart

wusa /uninstall /kb:3046480 /quiet /norestart

wusa /uninstall /kb:3075249 /quiet /norestart

wusa /uninstall /kb:3080149 /quiet /norestart

wusa /uninstall /kb:3083325 /quiet /norestart

wusa /uninstall /kb:3083324 /quiet /norestart

wusa /uninstall /kb:3035583 /quiet /norestart

I must be one of three people on this planet who never used XP, I went from win2k to vista to 7 so I don't really get all the XP love, do get the vista hate.

I know how to fix the problem I am having but I do not want to fix the problem I am having. Instead, I will blame Microsoft for years to come and do nothing about it. :rolleyes: That is pretty much what I read in his article and that was it.

It's easy to see why they want people off Win 7.

First and much more minor:
MS has started advertising to your desktop. They use a euphemism to describe it, "Suggested Apps", (http://thenextweb.com/microsoft/201...ing-suggested-apps-in-windows-10s-start-menu/). Win 7 does not have this. MS sells this ad space... again, more $ for MS.

Second, the evil end game:
Windows 7 doesn't access the Windows Store. The Windows 7 install base is HUGE. They want those people off Windows 7 and on an OS that has their store built in. Windows 7 runs on almost 60% of general user PCs, this includes Macs. http://www.netmarketshare.com/operat...10&qpcustomd=0 That's a shit ton of potential people buying from your store. Let's face it, most people running W7 won't pay to upgrade, but their logic will be "hey if it's free, why not?!?". There you go, more money extracted from what would otherwise be a zero revenue generating install.

MS takes 30% of sales. Source from MS themselves:https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/lib.../jj193593.aspx. MS wants everyone purchasing from their store so they get a 30% cut of every other company's programming work.

Finally for a long term goal for MS (and this is speculation), it's likely that they want to at some point force you go through the "Windows Store" to buy programs, just like Apple does. Hey,if you can't ignore the forced update that makes this change, then too bad for you. Here's how I see it as a general outline:
  • Develop New Windows OS that Data Mines (read new MS agreements @ https://edri.org/microsofts-new-small-print-how-your-personal-data-abused/ ), "cloud services", and more importantly includes the windows store and forced OS updates to add/remove features as they see fit. - Check
  • Offer "Free" windows upgrades - Check
  • Gain Installs / market penetration for new windows OS - In Progress
  • Sell / Use mined data for marketing purposes - Check (See above)
  • Leverage "cloud" services as a vendor lock in - Future
  • Sell more "windows services" - Future
  • Use forced Os updates to lock windows program installation down to their store just like Apple does on iOS - More Distant Future
  • Utilize a 90%+ PC device install base to profit massively off the "windows store" ( http://www.windowscentral.com/microsoft-wants-bigger-cut-revenue-windows-developers ) - More Distant Future

OK I don't have an iPhone but since when does Apple force you to upgrade to the newest version of iOS.....

Two for all the bitching and moaning people do about microsoft one would think that a move to ANYTHING else would start happening but people cling to what is safe. XP Win 7 take your pick. You resist change but expect everything to change to fit your views......

^^ Can't edit, here are good copies of the links that are broken in my above post.

http://www.netmarketshare.com/operating-system-market-share.aspx?qprid=10&qpcustomd=0

http://www.windowscentral.com/microsoft-wants-bigger-cut-revenue-windows-developers

https://msdn.microsoft.com/library/windows/apps/hh694058.aspx
Store Fees. The Store Fee you owe to Microsoft for making your Apps and In-App Products available through the Store will be deducted from Net Receipts to calculate the App Proceeds payable to you in accordance with this Section 6. The Store Fee for Apps and In-App Product made available in the Store is thirty percent (30%) of Net Receipts, except for transactions subject to the Commerce Expansion Adjustment, for which the Store Fee is currently forty-three and nine-tenths percent (43.9%) of Net Receipts.​

I agree 100%. I use Windows 7 now only because I have to. And I have Classic Shell and several other display and interface utilities added onto it, just to make it bearable. If I could go back to XP, with drivers for modern hardware I'd do it in a heartbeat.

One has nothing to do with the other. Also, there is not forced upgrade to Windows 10.

Windows Update =/= Windows Upgrade

I never said Win 10 upgrade is mandatory. Read my longer post over and you'd see: Let's face it, most people running W7 won't pay to upgrade, but their logic will be "hey if it's free, why not?!?".

By forced updates I'd referring to windows updates that you are unable to turn off. See: Microsoft Confirms Windows 10 Updates Cannot Be Stopped (http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2015/07/17/windows-10-forced-automatic-updates/).

Once you are on Win 10 you can not refuse to install any changes that MS pushes down. If MS decides to remove the ability to install 3rd party programs unless you buy them on the Windows Store (which MS conveniently takes a 30% cut from), well, there's not much you can do about it. It really should be obvious why they want you on W10 instead of W7. Do you really think MS gave away W10 out of philanthropy and don't have a long term plan to make gobs of $$$ of it?

I never said Win 10 upgrade is mandatory. Read my longer post over and you'd see: Let's face it, most people running W7 won't pay to upgrade, but their logic will be "hey if it's free, why not?!?".

By forced updates I'd referring to windows updates that you are unable to turn off. See: Microsoft Confirms Windows 10 Updates Cannot Be Stopped (http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2015/07/17/windows-10-forced-automatic-updates/).

Once you are on Win 10 you can not refuse to install any changes that MS pushes down. If MS decides to remove the ability to install 3rd party programs unless you buy them on the Windows Store (which MS conveniently takes a 30% cut from), well, there's not much you can do about it. It really should be obvious why they want you on W10 instead of W7. Do you really think MS gave away W10 out of philanthropy and don't have a long term plan to make gobs of $$$ of it?

The user you quoted was talking about forced upgrades exclusively.

Oh, and your doomsday predictions of everything being bought the the Microsoft store without choice will not happen, not ever. Use logic when you think about that, not personal bias or Microsoft dislike. Adobe and other companies are not going to go all in on the Microsoft store nor is any digital games distribution system.

Just FYI, this only applies to the Home Edition of Windows 10. The Pro and Enterprise can defer updates all day long.

You have no idea wtf you're talking about.

I know how to fix the problem I am having but I do not want to fix the problem I am having. Instead, I will blame Microsoft for years to come and do nothing about it. :rolleyes: That is pretty much what I read in his article and that was it.

Yes, yes...we get it...Microsoft can do no wrong in your opinion. :)

I just had a thought... because of how easy they make upgrading to win 10, think of all the non techy people that are going to go ahead and say yes.

No matter how you put it, doing an in place upgrade opens you up to lot of issues due to the garbage that is left behind, and programs that will no longer be compatible or simply act badly due to having the OS changed from under them. Like if the program is used to looking at a certain path for DLLs and now those DLLs are in another path, etc.

It's people like us that will then be stuck coming to the rescue of these people. Ugn. Not looking forward to having to deal with any of that.

Can I just send those people to Geek Squad, or will Geek Squad even know how to deal with it? I know it's bound to happen that I start getting those calls. I run Linux now, I barely even know Windows 7, let alone 8 or 10. Suppose I should learn them more for career reasons though in case I was to lose my job and want to look towards IT.

For me the most obvious advantage of Windows 7 over XP is security. Even with adblock and noscript, and an antivirus, in the late stages there would STILL be some sites that somehow managed to infect my system one way or another on XP. That hasn't happened on 7. Plus it added a couple key things over XP like TRIM support for SSDs, better 64 bit support, etc.

Denpepe said:
I must be one of three people on this planet who never used XP, I went from win2k to vista to 7 so I don't really get all the XP love, do get the vista hate.
Depending on your usage, it wasn't a big improvement over 2k. I came from 98 SE and XP was like night and day. It was so much more stable than any Win9x for me, I was an early adopter of it. 2K already had that stability, but as a gamer, XP had more robust backwards compatibility for games than 2k. So while I wouldn't call it the best of both worlds exactly, it had enough significant advantages to make the move worthwhile.

I liked Vista, but then I only got it with Service Pack 1, and had 4GB of ram back then...

way too many people tried to use it on 1GB of RAM or less

Back