Dear Apple. Step 1, please take everyone who wrote itunes, and shoot them.

lopoetve

Extremely [H]
I've been using iTunes and Apple products (specifically an apple TV / iPhone / iPad / iPod) for 8 years now.

And I think I'm finally just about done.

One of the most BASIC pieces of functionality... Sync a playlist to a device.

No longer works.

Fuck man, this is something their REALPLAYER hack used to do fine back in the early iPod days! What. The. Fuck!

To sync a new playlist from my MBP to my iPhone 5... I HAVE TO WIPE THE DAMNED THING AND RESTORE IT. Or recreate the playlist from scratch, with a new name, every time - existing ones won't ever update.

Seriously?

And before anyone asks, yes, iTunes is set to sync everything to the bloody phone, automatically, without asking. All the things. All the time. >_<

Sometimes, technology just makes me want to find software engineers, and beat them in front of their families for amusement.

iTunes is a serious POS. I dont get why it is so hard to make a good music player, but it seems to be.

iTunes is still the best I have found for syncing to devices, but it is still not great.

For straight up music playing, Foobar2k is a lot better and faster.

iTunes is a serious POS. I dont get why it is so hard to make a good music player, but it seems to be.

iTunes is still the best I have found for syncing to devices, but it is still not great.

For straight up music playing, Foobar2k is a lot better and faster.

I don't disagree, but this is just baffling.

Pardon the rant, btw - it was christmas morning, I was still cooking for christmas dinner (from the prior night), stopped to get the playlist ready for the family to come over (first christmas with family over at the Lopoetve house), and it just mocked me. :p

I might have also been hitting the christmas rum early...

For as much as I like using iOS and OSx, and how easy they are to use, I absolutely HATE iTunes. I only need to use iTunes once every few months and every time I do I am frustrated beyond belief because nothing is simple nor works like you think it should work. That alone is my reason why I never buy music from iTunes because I don't want to be tied to them for my music.

Everything else with Apple is great though (except they need a 5.5" iphone of course).

lopoetve, did you just make a death threat? Better watch out, you are going to get 15 years of Prison Time, a 8 month long trial, and $500,000 of fines.

I don't understand the issues you're describing in the first post. I can update my playlists without wiping the device.

Have you tried dragging the playlist from the side bar onto the idevice under devices? Is this itunes on windows or itunes on a mac? The two are very different in terms of reliability.

Last edited:
Have you tried dragging the playlist from the side bar onto the idevice under devices? Is this itunes on windows or itunes on a mac? The two are very different in terms of reliability.

Mac, and yes - It simply removed it from the phone again :p >_< :mad:

Have you tried turning it off and on again?

first thing I do on any mac I own is forcibly remove iTunes from the OS

Mac, and yes - It simply removed it from the phone again :p >_< :mad:
can you show us with a screenflow vidcap or something similar?
I can't reproduce the problem.

you might need to make a backup of your phone and then restore it to stock and see if that resolves the problem. maybe something borked during the iOS 7 update.

There is really no need to get yourself this worked up over things. I usually look at it like this - will it matter in 3 months? If not, meh. In your case though, yes it will as iTunes is a POS. Carry on.

iTunes drives me nuts too. I recently wiped and upgraded from Win 7 to 8. I then realized I didn't prep my iPhone right and had to wipe and reload all my musac. Why can it not just function like any other PMP/Phone?!

Hook up to machine. Drag and drop. Disconnect. PROFIT!

I just updated a few play lists and connected my phone to my Macbook Pro and I couldn't replicate the issue.

My "Current Favorites", and "WTTS" playlists before the sync did not have the two songs I added. After syncing my phone it has those two songs I added to the playlists.

Click on the phone in iTunes, click on the Music tab, and make sure that playlist has a check mark next to it. That is the only thing I could think of that would keep it from syncing the changes to the playlist.

I really don't get the whole hate that iTunes gets. I've been using iTunes since version 2 or 3 (which ever one was the first Windows version) and I have very few issues with it today. If you were talking about the early versions I would understand. Today, not so much.

iTunes and a larger screen are the only reasons I went to Android. Drag and drop is awesome. I do miss having an iPhone though. It will be tough if iPhone 6 comes out with a larger screen to not go back, but I have iTunes wrote on my dry erase board to remind me not to.

I have a fairly decent machine and iTunes runs like dog shit on it.
Does iTunes run better on a Mac? I bet it does, so apple can get people to switch.

no runs like shit on my macpro also

it's just a terrible piece of software

And this is what happens when you have a completely closed off environment.
There is no reason to fix anything, users have to learn to just deal with it.
I've got an iPod touch I never use because iTunes for my Win7 pc is just a frustrating, time consuming joke and there's nothing for my Linux pc.
Drag and drop, definitely the easiest, fastest and all around best way to go.

Agreed, itunes is the biggest POS ever. Solution: have a windows box for music with XBMC

Actually worked out pretty well for me as now my mac work station and entertainment systems are completely separate

Working 100% fine here, with both my iPhone and iPad.

I think when iTunes first came out on Windows, Apple took out a full page ad saying 'the worlds best software is now on Windows!'. They are truly ridiculous, and pretty much everyone agrees that iTunes is a totally broken POS, which people use only because there's no other option.

Back