Deal Struck In MySpace Extortion Case

HardOCP News

[H] News
The two guys that tried extorting MySpace for $150,000 accepted plea deals today, avoiding prison time in lieu of 3 years probation, community service and a fine.

Shaun Harrison, 19, and Saverio Mondelli, 20, of Suffolk County, N.Y., were accused of demanding the money as a "consulting fee" from the News Corp. subsidiary. The pair were offering the code on their own Web site for $29.95 and claimed to be developing an unbreakable version.

we know they are full of shit for this one statement:

The pair were offering the code on their own Web site for $29.95 and claimed to be developing an unbreakable version.

nothing on the web is unbreakable

Everyone seems to fall for the, "Just fly to (city) and we'll pay you lots of money" trick. :rolleyes:

At least they were young and lucky enough that the judge let them avoid Federal pound-me-in-the-@ss prison. Office Space ftw! :D

Perhaps I missed it, but did the story mention what exactly the $150K was meant for? I didn't see a clear connection between the extortion charges and the money they went to collect (not to imply there wasn't one).

Were they intending to take the money in exchange for not releasing more tracking code?

Back