Deal or not? Compaq ML-28 AMD Turion, DVD+/-RW, 512MB, wide screen, 6-1 reader

BurntToast

2[H]4U
For the price can you get anything like it?

After the rebates and tax price = $882.49

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7367841&type=product&id=1125465158222

Product Details

Warranty Terms - Parts 1 year limited
Warranty Terms - Labour 1 year limited
Product Height 1.5"
Product Width 9.1"
Product Weight 5.4 lbs.
Product Length 13.2"
Processor Brand AMD Turion 64
Processor Speed 1.6GHz
Display Type WXGA high-definition widescreen with BrightView technology (1280 x 768)
Screen Size 14"
System Bus Up to 1600MHz
Cache Memory 512KB on die Level 2
System Memory (RAM) 512MB
System Memory (RAM) Expandable To 2GB
Type of Memory (RAM) PC2700 DDR
Hard Drive Size 80GB
Optical Drive Double-layer DVD±RW/CD-RW
Optical Drive Speeds Drive speeds not available
LightScribe Compatibility No
Digital Media Reader or Slots Yes, digital media card reader
Diskette Drive Optional
Diskette Drive Type USB external 3.5" 1.44MB floppy (optional)
Graphics ATI RADEON XPRESS 200M IGP
Video Memory 128MB DDR (shared)
Personal Video Recorder (PVR) No
TV Tuner No
MPEG Yes
Modem 56 Kbps*
*Capable of receiving 56 Kbps downloads. However, current regulations limit download speed to 53 Kbps.
Networking Built-in 10/100Base-T Ethernet (RJ-45 connector)
Wireless Networking Built-in 54g high-speed wireless LAN (802.11b/g) with 125HSM/ SpeedBooster support
S-Video Outputs 1
Audio Altec Lansing
PCMCIA Slots 1 Type I/Type II
USB 2.0 Ports 3
IEEE 1394 FireWire Ports 1
Parallel Ports None
Serial Ports None
Game Ports None
Notebook Weight Thin and light (4.5 to 6 lbs.)
Battery Type Lithium-ion
Pointing Device Touchpad with on/off button and dedicated vertical and horizontal scroll up/down pad
Operating System Windows XP Home SP2
Included Software Microsoft Works, Money, Windows Media Player, Windows Movie Maker; Adobe Acrobat Reader, Photoshop Album; Sonic Digital Media Plus; InterVideo WinDVD Player; muvee autoProducer DVD Edition with Burning; Apple® iTunes and more

Luke warm in my opinion. Turion is overhyped at times(nice chip but not better than a Pentium M until 64 bit is more mainstream.) and a similarly spec'd Dell Pentium M lappie for the same money come with a WSXGA or WUXGA screen and dedicated video memory. Just my two cents. If someone is hell bent on a 64 bit processor in a laptop right now I would say spend a few hundred more and at least get a dedicated X700 vid card or something similar.

Right now, that seems to be the running price of a lappy with those specs. If you look around or are willing to wait for the next round of sales, you might get a slighty better deal. I bought one as a present on Black Friday that was an ML-28 with 1Gb and a 100Gb hard drive for $799 after rebates.

Edit: You might check out this one (http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=334931&pfp=BROWSE) from CompUSA. Comparable and about $150 less than the one you posted.

Hum not bad as well. That one comes to $799.65 after tax and rebates. Just missing out on a DVD+/-RW and 20gb of storage.

Dam I wish Igot your BF lap :p

I guess I'll wait.

My mom just got this laptop.

I just finished loading all my "extra" software.

I love it. The screen is awesome. Runs very smooth.

I wanna keep it for myself :D

BurntToast said:
Hum not bad as well. That one comes to $799.65 after tax and rebates. Just missing out on a DVD+/-RW and 20gb of storage.

Dam I wish Igot your BF lap :p

I guess I'll wait.

Eh, depending on your price range you could always add a new hard drive and get a dvd-rw drive (internal or external)

I just got a Acer 5002 widescreen at staples for $843 after tax, no rebates.. same specs as that, but an ML-30 (1.6ghz) turion w/ 1mb cache, 100gb hd and dual layer dvd burner.

seems like a better deal than that.......

just my 3 cents.. :)

flint338 said:
I just got a Acer 5002 widescreen at staples for $843 after tax, no rebates.. same specs as that, but an ML-30 (1.6ghz) turion w/ 1mb cache, 100gb hd and dual layer dvd burner.

seems like a better deal than that.......

just my 3 cents.. :)

Inflation is killer these days! I remember when people gave their two pence, or mills.

Back