Deal, or no deal?

Ayoralyn

Limp Gawd
Right, so my friend just bought this Alienware laptop right. I told him from the start not to buy Alienware, wince it's way too expensive. But he bought one anyway. And I thought, I'd like to know if they are actually still way overpriced, or it's just me not knowing anything about laptops that got my red flags up when he said Alienware. My knowledge about laptops pretty much stops there. Here's what's in it:

Intel® Core™ i7 processor 2670QM (2,20 GHz, 6 MB, 4C)
1,5 GB GDDR5 NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 560M
4096 MB Dual Channel DDR3 @ 1333 MHz [2 x 2048]
750 GB Seriel ATA-harddrive (7.200 rpm.)
44 cm(17,3") WideHD+ (1600 x 900) WLED LCD-monitor

I guess that's the important stuff. He payed just over 2200 USD for it, including 1 year of Dell's warrenty. He added some programs etc so it actually cost more, but the hardware is that, and the base price for it, is the 2200 USD. Did he get ripped off, or is that a decent price for that kind of hardware?

Not all Alienwares are overpriced, but yeah...that was overpriced.

Alright. That's pretty much what I thought and feared. Thanks for the feedback guys.

smaller alienware like m14x are priced ok ... but the bigger one are a joke

I wish he would have listened to you. Thats a terrible price for that hardware. A 560m and not even 1080p resolution? He should have paid around 1k for that. At the most. If its not too late I would tell him to cancel that order immediately. Its a total waste of money.

smaller alienware like m14x are priced ok ... but the bigger one are a joke

I wish he would have listened to you. Thats a terrible price for that hardware. A 560m and not even 1080p resolution? He should have paid around 1k for that. At the most. If its not too late I would tell him to cancel that order immediately. Its a total waste of money.

Thanks for the feedback. I listened to you MGDMN and send him the link to this forum. I told him that I'd shut up about it after this, so if he decides to keep it, I ain't going to bug him about it anymore :) Thanks none the less though.

Well, I hope that he listens to you this time, but I understand. You tried to stop him as best as you could. What is the screen size of the one that he ordered?

Nevertheless, I am a fan of the accident coverage they offer, especially since high powered laptops are notorious for burning up video cards.

I agree completely. If your going to spend this kind of money on a gaming laptop then it would be foolish to not spend an extra $100, or less, to protect your investment.

Last edited:
I'm not sure what kind of warrenty he got on it to be honest. And the screen size is 17.3" I believe it was.

I am going to say this, unless you're constantly fixing his computer stuff and doing that kind of work for him, it might be better in the future to just let it go. I've found that with most of my friends, if they enjoy what they've bought and it works for them then I just keep my mouth shut. It sounds really uppity and douchey otherwise.

But yea, he could have gotten it much cheaper elsewhere.

Edit: I should say that is until they bring me into it by either asking my opinion directly or comparing it to what I use. With the former, I politiely say that next time there are probably better options that I could help them find, with the latter I rip them a new one because 99% of the time they don't know what they're talking about.

I am going to say this, unless you're constantly fixing his computer stuff and doing that kind of work for him, it might be better in the future to just let it go. I've found that with most of my friends, if they enjoy what they've bought and it works for them then I just keep my mouth shut. It sounds really uppity and douchey otherwise.

But yea, he could have gotten it much cheaper elsewhere.

Edit: I should say that is until they bring me into it by either asking my opinion directly or comparing it to what I use. With the former, I politiely say that next time there are probably better options that I could help them find, with the latter I rip them a new one because 99% of the time they don't know what they're talking about.

That's actually where I was as well. I was thinking, it's not my problem. It's HIS choice, I HAVE told him what I think about Alienware etc. But then again, I figured, we are talking THIS much money. Had it been a couple of 100 bucks I wouldn't have cared. But with the comments there has been to this thread, it sound like he really got ripped off good. So I figured, I could be the supporting friend who shuts up, and says awesome laptop dude! Or, I could be the other supporting friend who says, dude, it's a nice laptop, but you are paying way too much for it. I chose the latter case, since we are talking this much money.

Had it been worth 1000 USD and he payed 1200 USD. Meh, who cares, that's his choice. But I'm getting the impression he way overpayed it. So I couldn't keep my mouth shut to be honest. But I see what you are getting it, and generely I actually don't get involved.

Should of went with the Dell Outlet. Looks like he got the M17X R3. My gaming/work laptop is an M17X R3 and I paid 1900 with a 1 year accidental warranty with Dell. Here are the specs I got:

Intel Core i7 2860QM
2GB DDR5 Nvidia Geforce GTX 580M (Equal to the GTX 560 in desktop graphics performance)
16GB DDR3 1600
256GB SSD, 750GB HD
8X DVD Burner
1920x1080 Screen
Killer Nic Wirless N 1103

Should of went with the Dell Outlet. Looks like he got the M17X R3. My gaming/work laptop is an M17X R3 and I paid 1900 with a 1 year accidental warranty with Dell. Here are the specs I got:

Intel Core i7 2860QM
2GB DDR5 Nvidia Geforce GTX 580M (Equal to the GTX 560 in desktop graphics performance)
16GB DDR3 1600
256GB SSD, 750GB HD
8X DVD Burner
1920x1080 Screen
Killer Nic Wirless N 1103

I don't know if it's called a R3, but it is a M17x. The system you got there though, looks to me to be a lot more acceptable for that price. The SSD alone is very expensive, so that bumps the price up a bit.

At least I got a "I'll think about" from him. That's better then nothing :p

Back