DEAD: (Was: "BLAZING!!! Thermaltake Core v21 mATX Cube Chassis $55 shipped - $35 after rebate card!"

NoxTek

The Geek Redneck
UPDATE: Deal expired. :(

I thought this was kind of toasty...

<EDIT: Way better deal at Newegg, post updated, thanks to user NovaCloud !>

Newegg has the Thermaltake Core v21 Cube Chassis for $55 shipped and $35 after rebate card. That's a pretty goddamned hot deal!

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811133274

The Core v21 is hands down my favorite PC case of all time, finally besting the old Chieftec full tower cases from 10-15 years ago in terms of ultimate versatility and utility. We're talking the ability to fit dozens of fans or MULTIPLE 240mm rads in a chassis that's basically 1 cubic foot. This thing has an amazingly modular design too, not just with fan and rad placement, but with motherboard mounting (horizontal or vertical), SSD and HDD mounting, and side panel placement as well.

For under something that regularly sells for around $70 it's built fairly well too, surprisingly rigid (probably thanks to the cube design), no sharp edges inside so you won't need a box of band-aids, and it even comes with magnetic air filter screens for all of the side panels. Of yeah, and one panel is windowed. Thanks to the modular design you can mount that Window on any side you want (well, except the bottom, lulz).

Really about the only negative I can think to mention is that it has no external drive bays - be they 5.25" or 3.5". That means no internal optical drive. That may be a negative for some of you, for me it's a positive. I use my BD-R drive maybe twice a year for backup purposes or to read the odd CD/DVD/BD - I keep an external enclosure for that. I much prefer the look of a case without an optical drive. :)

Here's a breakdown diagram of the case and cooling potential:

pic8.jpg

Last edited:
I've been wanting to do another SFF build - looks good for the price. Now if only more small mobos would come out.

I've been wanting to do another SFF build - looks good for the price. Now if only more small mobos would come out.

I've found that the selection of microATX boards are pretty good, it's when you get down to ITX that things get scarce and expensive. That's the main reason I didn't go with the smaller Core v1 (which is also awesome). Well that, and I wanted the ability to use 240mm / 280mm radiators if I wanted.

Post updated, thanks so much to [H] member NovaCloud !

AWESOME DEAL, I cancelled my Amazon order and ordered from Newegg. I feel kinda dirty doing that because of [H] past relationship follies with the egg, but a deal like this... I'm totally in! LOL.

I thought I'd share Amazon being a dick to me (or me being a dick to them) on my order this morning, just for grits and shiggles:

Hello,
Here's a copy of the chat transcript you requested:

Initial Question: Hello, I ordered this PC case late last night but I just found out it's $20 cheaper on Newegg after rebate. I tried to cancel my Amazon order this morning but it says unable to cancel. I was hoping you could either help me cancel, or get me the proper discount since I am a long time Amazon customer in good standing.

ORDER # 113-8837513-XXXXXXX

06:28 AM PST Vishnu(Amazon): Hello, my name is Vishnu. I'm here to help you today.
06:29 AM PST Vishnu: Please allow me a minute while I transfer the chat to our concerned team.Please allow me a minute while I transfer the chat to our concerned team.
06:29 AM PST Yash(Amazon): Hello, my name is Yash. Please give me a moment to review the previous correspondence.
06:29 AM PST Jason Holton: OK
06:30 AM PST Yash: I would like to inform you that , as per our policy we do not offer any price match as we consistently offer competitive prices on everything we carry; however, the prices on our website are subject to change
06:30 AM PST Jason Holton: OK, then is it possible for you to cancel the order?
06:31 AM PST Yash: At this stage we will not be able to cancel the order you may refuse the order at time of delivery.
Anything else to ease your day?
06:32 AM PST Jason Holton: Nope. I'll make sure and consider more carefully ordering products from Amazonin the future. I'll also make sure and let my friends and Youtube viewers know of today's fine (lack of) customer service experience. Thanks so much for your help...
Have a great day!
06:32 AM PST Yash: Wonderful! Have a big smile on your face for today, It was a pleasure to assist you. Have a great day ahead. Goodbye. :)

Please click on "END-CHAT" at right upper corner to close the chat window.
Thank you.
Amazon.com

Amazon stopped doing price matching years ago, even to their OWN products. I guess too many people abused the system and things had to change. You can always refuse delivery and they have no choice but to return to sender thus clearing you of the shipping charges. You just need to intercept your delivery man before he drops it off.

Amazon stopped doing price matching years ago, even to their OWN products. I guess too many people abused the system and things had to change. You can always refuse delivery and they have no choice but to return to sender thus clearing you of the shipping charges. You just need to intercept your delivery man before he drops it off.

Yup, that's the current plan now. Never hurts to try for assistance though, sometimes the CSRs can cancel an order that the website won't let you cancel. I've also been able to talk them into manually applying a discount or partial refund in the past. Sometimes it pays off to be your own advocate, sometimes it doesn't. :D

I have 2 of these cases for home servers and they are really nice for the price. The massive fan keeps them cool but its dead quiet.

I have 2 of these cases for home servers and they are really nice for the price. The massive fan keeps them cool but its dead quiet.

I never even thought about that, but it makes sense. With the fairly good amount of drive bays (especially if you throw 2.5" / SSD into the mix) and the fact that these cases are designed to STACK, they would be pretty great for home / small office server purposes.

What the heck, ordered one. Water cooled 1080 Ti SLI mATX goodness, here we come!

I got the 200mm Noctua fan in the front of mine and with the Arctic and Noctua coolers, it's very nearly dead silent and my 1080Ti never goes above ~66C

Recommended as long as you don't mind the footprint and don't need any drive bays.

Mine came in today and I got a chance to check it out a little bit. Bigger than I expected. Crazy amount of flexibility...gonna be interesting working through how to set everything up.

Yeah, it's a beast and takes up way too much room for an mATX case, but on the other hand, it's a great case for a high performance, low noise air cooled system in a market where most cases seem focused on water cooling only (which it will also do).

Yeah, it's a beast and takes up way too much room for an mATX case, but on the other hand, it's a great case for a high performance, low noise air cooled system in a market where most cases seem focused on water cooling only (which it will also do).

Yeah, pretty sure you could mount about a half dozen radiators in there if you put your mind to it. ;)

Yep, it's not a tiny shoebox thing, but it's far more flexible. Excellent for home servers or higher performance setups.

I prob would have ended up with this is If didn't get a similarly huge itx case for $10ar(rosewill neutron)

I just don't get why only 2 front USB ports in 2018

I prob would have ended up with this is If didn't get a similarly huge itx case for $10ar(rosewill neutron)

I just don't get why only 2 front USB ports in 2018

Probably because the vast majority of mATX boards only have one USB 3.x header. I suppose they could have added a set of USB 2.0 ports too...

have one. Fun can, does well, though I prefer the Corsair 250d more. Just one warning. The power button placement is STUPID. It's not flush so prepare yourself for a few times of turning off your computer, or putting it to sleep while plugging in USB.

This is a great case. Used it to build my daughters gaming rig a while back. Small enough to tuck away nicely but large enough to use some decent gear.

Front fan filter? I dont see a removable front fan filter, that 200mm intake is going to suck a lot of air and dust along with it.

Front fan filter? I dont see a removable front fan filter, that 200mm intake is going to suck a lot of air and dust along with it.

The front if the case itself has a foam filter embedded in it. The front pops off (pressure fit) and can either be blown, vacuumed, or even washed out.

Fucking Amazon.

They wouldn't let me cancel my order (before NovaCloud pointed out the Newegg rebate) and insisted I had to refuse delivery on the package and then they would refund me.
So I stayed home on the day of delivery to try and catch the UPS guy and refuse the package, and wouldn't you know it he drops it off while I'm pitching a loaf. Amazon says to return the item I have to foot the bill for return shipping, which according to them is like $27.

So I now have two brand new Core V21 cases in my closet - one from the initial deal I spotted at Amazon, and one from the even hotter deal at Newegg. Well.... I guess I have THREE including the one my main rig is in.

..... It's a good thing they're made to stack I guess!

Fucking Amazon.

They wouldn't let me cancel my order (before NovaCloud pointed out the Newegg rebate) and insisted I had to refuse delivery on the package and then they would refund me.
So I stayed home on the day of delivery to try and catch the UPS guy and refuse the package, and wouldn't you know it he drops it off while I'm pitching a loaf. Amazon says to return the item I have to foot the bill for return shipping, which according to them is like $27.

So I now have two brand new Core V21 cases in my closet - one from the initial deal I spotted at Amazon, and one from the even hotter deal at Newegg. Well.... I guess I have THREE including the one my main rig is in.

welll... shit.. lol

Fucking Amazon.

Ha, that sounds like something that would happen to me.

I feel you on the shipping costs - it usually doesn't make much sense to sell or return cases any time shipping is involved, so you end up with a stash of big boxes. Could always try for a local sale, I suppose. I ended up giving my full towers away locally because I couldn't find anyone willing to pay the shipping costs on `em, even when offering the case itself for free. :p

Fucking Amazon.

Since Amazon didn't want to help you initially I don't feel bad about the following. Through their website, create a return for that case. When asked to select the reason, select that it arrived damaged. They will then allow you to return it with free postage. They will never inspect it, and it will just be shipped to an Amazon return company that will auction it off. Problem solved.

Fucking Amazon.

Hindsight being 20/20 and all, next time, leave a note for the UPS delivery person. They usually stealth deliver to me, so even if I am home, I don't see or hear them half the time (and I have two dogs!). So if I need to do something outside the norm, I always tape a note to the front door.

Got mine a couple of days ago. I agree that it is not as small as I thought it would be, but VERY flexible. I sat it next to my new Rosewill Collinan, which sits next to my Core X9. Now THAT is a large case. lol

minicube-01.JPG

Here is a shot of mine.
CRst8zw.jpg

Nice and dusty, just like mine!

That's probably my only real complaint with this case (and the X9 I had before it), even with all of the magnetic fan filters and the front filter, it's a dust magnet. It's kind of the nature of the beast though, it's such an 'open' nature with airflow being a principal in it's design, it's going to be dusty in short order. I can deal with that... every few months I carry it out to the garage and blast it with the exhaust end of the shop-vac. :D

It's definitely not a typical 'Small Form Factor' case, I think I might have referred to it as 'tiny' in one sentence of the OP. I think I still compare the v21 to the X9 I had before it, and that X9 was just freaking MASSIVE. I still do think this one is fairly compact even compared to some other mATX cases. But it's not exactly tiny either. Like I said, it's about a cubic foot in total. But you can cram tons of stuff in there! :)

Got mine a couple of days ago. I agree that it is not as small as I thought it would be, but VERY flexible. I sat it next to my new Rosewill Collinan, which sits next to my Core X9. Now THAT is a large case. lol

minicube-01.JPG

Jesus I love the look of that Snow edition X9.... I wish they would make a snow edition V21. They showed off one at Computex or E3 or something but it never went into production for some reason. But they have Snow edition X9s and V1s. Go figure. :(

I had the X9 before I got the V21, and it's just more of the same awesome sauce.... MUCH more. Like, the thing was bigger than some dorm fridges. I got tired of sharing a bedroom with it. :D The V21 takes up much less room.

I purchased the Tt V21 just after Thanksgiving for my new build. Got it on Amazon for 54.99 shipped which was a great deal. Newegg and Microcenter werent far off from that price at the time but I had other items on order from Amazon so I went with them. I also purchased the smaller brother Tt V1 in snow white for 51.33 about 2 weeks before Christmas from Amazon. I built my nephew a Star Wars themed PC (his first) with the V1.

Both cases are excellent in every way. The V21 is my first case without an external 5.25 bay but I dont miss it. Looks awesome and very flexible/customizable. Ill probably pickup a Vantec external enclosure for my rarely used optical drive.

Interestingly, and not to get off topic, I purchased an EVGA 1070Ti water cooled from Microcenter two weeks before Christmas as well. $529. I donated my 1050Ti to my nephews build and never gave a thought to GPU's becoming almsot unobtanium. Its been crazy seeing the prices go bananas and availability plummet. Has me a little concerned if I want to do another build for myself or grab a backup.

Anyone considering a build...V21 or V1 are good choices.

Looks like the deal is dead. :(

For anyone curious, here's a pretty good breakdown diagram of the cooling potential on this guy. Pretty impressive.

pic8.jpg

Since Amazon didn't want to help you initially I don't feel bad about the following. Through their website, create a return for that case. When asked to select the reason, select that it arrived damaged. They will then allow you to return it with free postage. They will never inspect it, and it will just be shipped to an Amazon return company that will auction it off. Problem solved.
Unethical much?

The guy bought it and Amazon shipped it in good concious. It's not Amazon's fault he decided to purchase. So why are you suggesting making them pay for his purchase?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back