Dead Space 2 $5 @ Amazon (Free with $5 code from Dec)

csmith811

Limp Gawd
Dead Space 2 is $5 right now as a digital download.
Link to Amazon

However, if you have one of the $5 codes they sent out last month then it should be able to be applied to this title. It is in the list of Bestselling Games of 2011.

Edit: Sorry, forgot to put "Amazon" in subject line!

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
we posted the same thread at the same minute lol, i got mine so i'm happy, i've been checking that site every day for a $5 deal

it's ALREADY sold out, jeeez what did they have 10 licenses :rolleyes:

Still there for me. Just got a copy for $0. :D

I tried to get the $5 Collector's Edition deal from Best Buy but my order seems to be on indefinite backorder. Kinda not sure if I'll get it or not, so I grabbed this.

EDIT: Key activates on Origin, not on Steam though. Although alternatively, it's on sale right on on the Steam Weekend Deal for $5.

Yeah, I just bought one as well, up for now. Would have not bought it if I realized it was Origin activated god dangit. I dont have that software installed for a reason. It doubly annoys me that it is 5 dollars on steam. This is really annoying.

Yeah, I just bought one as well, up for now. Would have not bought it if I realized it was Origin activated god dangit. I dont have that software installed for a reason. It doubly annoys me that it is 5 dollars on steam. This is really annoying.

It doesn't require Origin. You can use the Amazon downloader/installer. Or just use Origin to download and install. Only BF3 (not sure about SWTOR) requires Origin to be running.

Yep, just got one for $0 also, had already bought it for $5 on Steam though, So guess I'll save this for a gift.

Civ 5 looks good with a coupon, it would be $4 and is a Steam game, hmmm, add to backlog along side Civ 4, that I've never installed...:D

It doesn't require Origin. You can use the Amazon downloader/installer. Or just use Origin to download and install. Only BF3 (not sure about SWTOR) requires Origin to be running.

Thanks for the clarity. Man, I didn't like the 1st Dead Space too much- (strong dislike of 3rd Person Shooters) don't know why I bought this....

Oh yeah, it was $5.00. :p

Thanks! Thats not so bad. I loved the first, thought it was creepy and I enjoyed his own obvious issues with his own psyche. Always kept you guessing.

Got one, free with Dec coupon.
Deus Ex:HR and DS2 for 10 bucks.....not bad.

Nice used my $5 credit. Activated on Origin and started download before I left for work.

wait waht... it's an origin game? Fuck. I bought it...

OPh nm, just read that it doesn't require it. I'm guessing you were just using Origin instead of Amazon.

Item(s) Subtotal: $5.00
Shipping & Handling: $0.00
Promotion Applied: -$5.00
-----
Total Before Tax: $0.00
Estimated Tax To Be Collected: $0.00
-----
Grand Total: $0.00

Thanks OP!

I'm upset, I never received one of these $5 coupons from Amazon, was it random or what? I don't have any in my email.

I'm upset, I never received one of these $5 coupons from Amazon, was it random or what? I don't have any in my email.

You got a $5 off coupon good for January, when you purchase featured games in Amazon's December sale. The coupon can only be used on top selling 2011 game downloads, giving very few selections. A lot of people never thought they'd actually get to use them.

So is this true or not? I'd like to try this, but I don't want to load any other software to do so. Will that happen if I buy and use Amazon's downloader?

Thx.

I have no idea how the Amazon Downloader or games downloaded from there work, since I do not have any stand alone games from Amazon (I technically can't buy games from Amazon DD, so don't want to risk it with stand alone games in case they start to enforce it), so someone else will have to answer that.

In terms of using Origin, with the exception of BF3 (and maybe SWTOR, no idea), you just download and install the games with it. You can then run the games without Origin running or even Origin installed. I tested this using Bad Company 2, I had Origin uninstalled for over a week (until I reinstalled it for BF3 beta) and Bad Company 2 ran fine. It is actually much lighter in terms of DRM for these games than Steam and other services.

On a separate note I think Steam should mimic this functionality or at least implement a more true offline mode to match its competitors in this regard.

Why are people hating on origin so much? I don't really see anything wrong with it. I got a pretty good collection so far on it and it serves its purpose fine. Added Dead Space 2 with the code. Thanks OP

Why are people hating on origin so much? I don't really see anything wrong with it. I got a pretty good collection so far on it and it serves its purpose fine. Added Dead Space 2 with the code. Thanks OP

Same here...doesn't bother me at all; had to use Origin for BF3 anyways. Once I'm in the game, who cares.

Will that happen if I buy and use Amazon's downloader?
Not sure exactly what you are asking, but I've bought games from them before. It was as simple as installing downloader, downloading and installing game, then running game. You don't need to leave the downloader running to play the game; so I imagine you could uninstall it completely after you have the game downloaded and installed (no guarantee on that part). It's unintrusive and I have no issues with the speed of the downloads.

Hope that helps those otherwise on the fence.

You will download a program to download the installation files from Amazon. It will also install the game from those files. You can then delete the installation files or save them, it's up to you. You are able to download the installation files again from Amazon on the future. Patching would be the only advantage that Steam or Origin provide. I bought both DS 1 and 2 from Amazon with the $5 coupon and got both for $5. I was able to register DS 2 on Origin but DS 1 gave an error when trying to register it on there.

So is this true or not? I'd like to try this, but I don't want to load any other software to do so. Will that happen if I buy and use Amazon's downloader?

It will prompt you to login to your "EA Account" once the game is installed, but you can cancel past it. You don't need it to play. (I'm betting you'll need an EADM/Origin account to get patches or do multiplayer)

But Steam is having a weekend deal, selling DS2 for $5 as well.

Last edited:
bought both deadspace1 and 2 on steam for $9.99. Playing through deadspace1 now, gameplay is simple, but that is not a bad thing.. storyline and universe is deep, reminds me alot of the Alien movies . It does feel alot like a console port, but for $5 it is worth it. It can be creepy at times, especially playing at night with headphones.

Does anyone else get this message while trying to activate their product? I am using the direct download from Amazon.

"The serial number you entered is invalid. Contact customer support for more information."

I already sent Amazon an email, but they wont get back to me today probably :(

edit: Thanks OP!

Does anyone else get this message while trying to activate their product? I am using the direct download from Amazon.

"The serial number you entered is invalid. Contact customer support for more information."

I already sent Amazon an email, but they wont get back to me today probably :(

edit: Thanks OP!

Yes, this is exactly what I got once I tried to install the game. I don't have time, interest, or energy to fiddle around with customer support to make an activation key work for a game.

Regarding activation, mine activated fine. Maybe try it without the "-"

I copy and pasted mine from Origin which did not have those, whereas in the Amazon library it uses those.

Regarding activation, mine activated fine. Maybe try it without the "-"

I copy and pasted mine from Origin which did not have those, whereas in the Amazon library it uses those.

Just tried it...didn't work. thanks for the suggestion, though.

Finally got around to playing this and I can't believe I waited so long. This game is very cinematic to the point that scripted sequences aren't very intrusive at all and the atmosphere is great. I also like how they start you off in the game...talk about throwing you right into things. All in all I'm glad I used my coupon on this I'm probably more likely to see this to the end than Dragon Age or some of the other titles that went on sale after this.

Yes, this is exactly what I got once I tried to install the game. I don't have time, interest, or energy to fiddle around with customer support to make an activation key work for a game.

Amazon responded to me and said that it requires Origin to use...... -_-

My key worked, still got this email from amazon, check yer mail

We're contacting you about order #104-6733879-4521068 for "Dead Space 2." We recently learned of an issue with the product key that resulted in an error when trying to activate your game. We're very sorry about this.

As a result, we've replaced your product key. You can find your new product key in Your Games & Software Library (http://www.amazon.com/YourGamesandSoftware).

To activate your game, launch "Dead Space 2" and enter your new product key when prompted.

We look forward to seeing you again soon.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Yeah I got that too. Still haven't checked to see if my old key is still registered with Origin.

Amazon responded to me and said that it requires Origin to use...... -_-

This is true, yet not true in the sense you are probably thinking of.

Origin the service and client are not 100% tied to together, unlike Steam which is what you are thinking of. Many games require an Origin, well more specifically an EA account, and requires it to be activates once for authentication on that account. But these games can do it without the actual Origin client.

So you need to authenticate the game to an EA/Origin account. You do not need the Origin program running. You do not need it installed.

Got the same email, activated on Origin; game still runs w/ the old code/key; what do I do?

Back