[DEAD] SMOKING HOT! Canon Powershot SX520 HS (Refurb) $90 shipped!

I'm not so sure that the Canon SX520 will even fit in that small of a bag man. You might want to take a look at other options.

One review in there says it fits perfectly in the case. I purchased one and it is arriving tomorrow. I will let you know if it's a good fit.

Got the case and memory card, camera supposed to show up...next Wednesday. :(

Picked one up after I had the misfortune of having 50 crappy shots of my son being valedictorian of his college (Engineering) with a P and S or POS (Nikon). Next son graduating in May as number 5 (Engineering) will not miss his pics. Have been practicing for 3 days now and this and and super pleased, auto tracking works great. Which is where my other sons shot sucks, going up for diploma and awards. Do not hesitate a very good camera

Picked one up after I had the misfortune of having 50 crappy shots of my son being valedictorian of his college (Engineering) with a P and S or POS (Nikon). Next son graduating in May as number 5 (Engineering) will not miss his pics. Have been practicing for 3 days now and this and and super pleased, auto tracking works great. Which is where my other sons shot sucks, going up for diploma and awards. Do not hesitate a very good camera
Always use the first kid as a test run

For anyone without kids, you will have 1K pics of them and 100 hundred of the second one

I am loving this camera so far. Perfect for taking candid shots on the beach. :)
f42b5116363082e1222c9ae613012f196bcc55b22820cb62fb81b5e6534a329e.jpg

Took some pretty nice photos of the scenery around my house. Will upload some pics later tonight once I get them off the memory card. Thanks HemiRick for the confirmation on the camera bag.

My old 10 year old pocket Canon died this week while we were on vacation. Glad to see this deal is back up as I just placed my order. Thanks OP!

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I got my camera and wanted to give some feedback on the free case. I'll just be blunt. I can't see the case as being very usable by itself. There is no strap or anywhere to add a strap. There is no handle either, so there is no way to easily carry it. This would be OK I guess if you put the camera inside, and then put the whole thing in a backpack or suitcase, but you aren't going to want to carry the camera in just the free case. It would be awkward and would get old fast. That Amazon case with a shoulder strap looks like a much better way to carry the camera around.

Thanks, bought one a couple days ago. Looking forward to its arrival. I've wanted a camera with great optical zoom for a while and you can't beat 90 bucks.

A few of the photos I took on auto mode Friday with the camera (no photo editing/photoshop, touchup, etc applied). Pretty nice if I do say so myself.
IMG_0039.JPGIMG_0045.JPG IMG_0056.JPG
IMG_0037.JPGIMG_0043.JPGIMG_0058.JPG

Enjoying the camera. My 1st ever non-pocket point and shoot :) and agree the free camera case is barely enough to be called that.
Anywho.. as this is my 1st semi-real camera... quick question about all the fancy stuff. If I recall ISO used to be the type of Film (100/200/400/800), usually higher film for faster scenes, like 800 for sports and 200-400 for portraits.
How does one "focus" with this sort of camera ? I see the M (Manual) however there is no focus ring on the lens. Any beginner videos/tutorials anyone can suggest would be greatly appreciated. Ok I return you to the thread topic..
Glad I was able to get this deal for LESS than a wallymart point and shoot and got a 4GB card to boot :) I did order a 1300ma battery and 64GB Lexar 1000x (with usb 3.0 adapter) so I look forward to the world of photography that is NOT part of my phone :)
Thank you OP!!!

I have this camera, but I paid a very pretty penny for it when it first came out. I don't use it regularly, but it's given me several years of good service.

Been playing with mine for about a week now.. all auto settings trying to use it like a point and shoot.

1) The good+ Great outdoor and indoor pics. Flash is good for about 12 feet.

2) The bad- Photos in low light (past the flash range or with the flash disabled)or with motion come out poorly.

Again, that is using auto. I'll report back once I've fiddled with some of the advanced settings. Still very satisfied with purchase.

I agree with ya Net Prowler !!! It takes some very sweet pictures for the money!

Great close up macro pictures as well!

Thanks!

I look forward to hearing back from you Evil Scooter with how the manual settings work out for you. I haven't had time to do anything besides auto thus far. I almost had a sweet pic of a cardinal in a tree about 200 feet away but it flew away right as I got the zoom and focus correct. I think I am going to continue to have a lot of fun with this camera though!

For $90 you can definitely have a lot of fun with this camera! I think it takes pretty impressive daylight shots, and low light shots can be pretty good if you get the hang of doing some things in manual mode (lowering ISO, increasing exposure time). I need to get outside one of these nights and do some long exposure shots!

Glad so many of you are enjoying your cameras.... I was joking around on Facebook the other day saying Canon should give me some kind of bonus for selling at least 20 of these refurbs in this thread alone! :D

Really like seeing the shots some of you guys are sharing, too! Please feel free to keep sharing them! :)

I still haven't gotten the damn thing yet...supposed to be tomorrow though! :)

I'll likely be taking this baby to ECCC in a month or so.

For $90 you can definitely have a lot of fun with this camera! I think it takes pretty impressive daylight shots, and low light shots can be pretty good if you get the hang of doing some things in manual mode (lowering ISO, increasing exposure time). I need to get outside one of these nights and do some long exposure shots!

Glad so many of you are enjoying your cameras.... I was joking around on Facebook the other day saying Canon should give me some kind of bonus for selling at least 20 of these refurbs in this thread alone! :D

Really like seeing the shots some of you guys are sharing, too! Please feel free to keep sharing them! :)

Any help you could provide for low light/nighttime shots would be great. I'm not anywhere near being proficient with a camera and don't really understand the ISO settings and all that. I did notice low light shots I took on auto were almost all light. I took a photo of one of my kids on the sidewalk about 10 feet n front of me and I could barely make out his face it was so washed out with light. Daytime photos are another story though - great pics.

You took that with this camera? Wow, I didn't think the zoom on it was that strong. I can't say i'm too impressed with the camera so far over a point and shoot, other than the zoom which is very nice.

Got mine yesterday, looks pretty much brand new although there was some minor dust on the lens.

Still trying to figure out all the features and whatnot but it seems like a decent camera, for the money especially.

I can't say i'm too impressed with the camera so far over a point and shoot, other than the zoom which is very nice.

If one is just using the auto feature it will stack up pretty much like a point and shoot. However, keep in mind that these "bridge" type cameras have many manual functions and abilities that a point and shoot do not. And, as you mentioned, the zoom as well.

Seeing the deal for $139 rather than $79 or $89, but still picked it up after researching and comparing pricing, I couldn't get a better camera or deal...ordered this and a spare battery and tripod from Amazon to mess around with.

I've been using a Panasonic Lumix TS2 tough camera I picked up for $300 6 years ago, which has done pretty damn good outdoor daylight shots...but horrid low-light, 720p grainy video, but was drop, shock, freeze and waterproof and survived my kids since then!

Can't wait to have a nicer camera, and the kids are older so less worried about accidents. :D

If one is just using the auto feature it will stack up pretty much like a point and shoot. However, keep in mind that these "bridge" type cameras have many manual functions and abilities that a point and shoot do not. And, as you mentioned, the zoom as well.

I think this is why I never bought a DSLR camera, because all the manual functions are so confusing. I suppose I might need to look into how to use other features on the camera other an than Auto.

Seeing the deal for $139 rather than $79 or $89, but still picked it up after researching and comparing pricing, I couldn't get a better camera or deal...ordered this and a spare battery and tripod from Amazon to mess around with.

You really ought to wait, I bet you it will go back to $90 in a few days again. That's what happened last week, anyway.

I took some more photos... I really love the moon shots I was able to capture. I need a tri pod to stabilize the camera while at ~120x+ zoom.
IMG_0062.JPG IMG_0068.JPG
IMG_0077.JPG IMG_0088.JPG
IMG_0092.JPG IMG_0096.JPG IMG_0098.JPG
IMG_0106.JPG IMG_0114.JPG IMG_0120.JPG
EDIT: All of this was done in auto mode, still haven't had time to figure out manual options.

Last edited:
You really ought to wait, I bet you it will go back to $90 in a few days again. That's what happened last week, anyway.

Well I had already ordered before I posted that message...and if they really do drop it, I'll raise a little hell with their support and get a $40 refund to my card. Even at the higher price it seems like a very good deal indeed...and again replacing my old Panasonic TS2 from 2010 that was a point-n-shoot toughcam that was mediocre in its day and cost $300 I'm not too upset about spending $140. :)

I got a free-standing shot of the moon last night as well...a bit hard to hold it steady but the pic turned out good! (pretty similar to the above)

Pretty nice image stabilization.

I took some more photos... I really love the moon shots I was able to capture. I need a tri pod to stabilize the camera while at ~120x+ zoom.

Nice pictures!

For what it's worth I recommend disabling digital zoom in the camera settings. Digital zoom is for 99% of situations a complete and utter no-no... All it's doing is using pixel doubling (or in this case quadrupling at full digital zoom) to enlarge the picture. Stick to the optical zoom and then if you feel the need to you can enlarge or crop in your photo editor of choice later and 9 times out of 10 you'll get a better quality photo as a result.

Last edited:
Ahh excellent point. I will try that out and see what happens. I may still need a tripod since I most likely wouldn't be able steady the camera regardless of zoom lol

Back