[DEAD] SMOKING HOT! Canon Powershot SX520 HS (Refurb) $90 shipped!

NoxTek

The Geek Redneck
Saw this on SD yesterday and bit - twice!

Canon PowerShot SX520 HS Refurbished | Canon Online Store

Canon Powershot SX520 HS 16MP Factory Refurbished straight from Canon for $89.99 with FREE shipping and a bonus 4GB SD card. That's $160 off the normal price...

UPDATE 3/17/16: Deal currently DEAD!

UPDATE 3/8/16
: Now comes with a 'deluxe soft case' (Model PSC-400)!

Every single refurb I've ever bought from Canon's online store has been just like brand new.

This is a heck of a deal on a bridge camera with an ultra long 42x zoom. Records 1080p video with stereo sound (the camera has real seperate stereo mics). Also has a 24mm wide angle which makes it great for Youtube stuff, vlogs, and everyday video recording. This uses Canon's backlit HS CMOS sensor and makes for some nice image quality even in low light situations - it's no DSLR, mind you, but still nice for the money. It's perfect to take on vacation or family events...

It's going to be nice to go back to a larger superzoom after using this ELPH 110 HS for the last several years!

Example of nifty superzoom:

Alternate deal, the 'big brother' to the SX520 HS above, the SX50 HS is also on sale for $150 for the refurb. The normal price on it is $386.99...

Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Refurbished | Canon Online Store

Bigger camera, a few more features, and a slightly longer zoom lens.

Last edited:
Wish I could use amazon or ebay gc on this, cash broke right now, ugh

42x stabilized optical zoom sounds incredible

Damn, that's a good deal. I will now spend the next hour like Cameron from Ferris Bueller's Day Off muttering to myself debating purchasing this.

Thanks OP! Great deal!! This will complement my Sony DSC-RX100 nicely!! $5.40 sales tax in MI.

I dont really know anything about cameras other than the sensor and optical zoom not megapixel count are the features that determine image quality but this does seem very tempting. Me and my wife keep talking about making sure we get a GOOD camera for when we have kids. Idk if I should jump on this now or not. 42x optical zoom sounds awesome.

Thanks for this, picked up 2 x. One for me, and one for Dad the next time "gift" season comes around..

Thanks! In for one as I have been looking for a replacement for an old point and shoot for the wife.

I bit. I'm going to try this camera out since I've been using cell phone cameras for the better part of... my entire existence. I've had a few old school film-based cameras that I got from older relatives, but most of them are old and defunct. Maybe this'll get me into the same hobby that they were. For 96$, not a bad deal considering that these normally seem to sell for well over 200. Thanks for the deal, TC.

I take pictures with my iphone 6 lol. Is this really a good camera? I wanted to pick up a new camera for youtube videos and what not.

edit: fuck it, I bought it anyway.

In for 1. Seemed a deal too good to pass up. I always wanted to get a 'real' camera and this one won't break the bank. Can't wait to take a bunch of cat pictures with it :p

In for 1. Seemed a deal too good to pass up. I always wanted to get a 'real' camera and this one won't break the bank. Can't wait to take a bunch of cat pictures with it :p

im afraid that this isnt a "real" camera. I feel that DSLR or what ever they are called are "real" cameras. this is classified as a point and shoot. I dont know if im goign to regret buying this when I have iphone 6 camera in my pocket at all times, that can even do 60fps.

im afraid that this isnt a "real" camera. I feel that DSLR or what ever they are called are "real" cameras. this is classified as a point and shoot. I dont know if im goign to regret buying this when I have iphone 6 camera in my pocket at all times, that can even do 60fps.

It's called a "bridge" camera.
Canon PowerShot SX520 HS Review: A Worthy Purchase | NDTV Gadgets360.com
Bridge cameras are more advanced versions of compact cameras, quite literally trying to 'bridge' the gap between compact cameras and chunky DSLRs. These provide a nice balance between size and functionality, at affordable prices.

... I have this habit of investigating after my purchase is made...

What is a bridge camera? Tips for using them to their full potential | Digital Camera World

Canon SX60 HS vs SX50, SX520 and Nikon P600 Superzoom Comparison

Two useful articles. Consider that the second link said that the sx520 was a good budget camera compared to the sx60 at its normal price, if you didn't need the features of the latter, and that we're kind of getting the former for less than half its normal price. The price difference here is monumental. I think that completes most of the post-purchase justification that you really need. Unless this camera doesn't serve your purposes at all, but even then at under 100$, it's pretty cheap as far as tech experiments and gambles go.

Last edited:
Too bad they won't ship to Canada. Would be an awesome deal even with the crappy exchange rate.

Tried to buy with paypal and got my order cancelled. I read on slickdeals someone said the same thing.

I take pictures with my iphone 6 lol. Is this really a good camera? I wanted to pick up a new camera for youtube videos and what not.

edit: fuck it, I bought it anyway.

Haha, that's my logic process for most of my purchases:
1. I don't need this as current stuff fills my need
2. What this is a really good deal, question first thought,
3. Ask for some advise or do a little research,
4. Check if still in stock, if not agree with first thought, if it is click buy ignoring any previous process.

Haha, that's my logic process for most of my purchases:
1. I don't need this as current stuff fills my need
2. What this is a really good deal, question first thought,
3. Ask for some advise or do a little research,
4. Check if still in stock, if not agree with first thought, if it is click buy ignoring any previous process.

I didnt even do any research till after, Hell I thought it was a Point and shoot. No idea "bridge" cameras even existed... Im just going to put it in the corner till my anniversary and give it to the wife. I payed via paypal and no cancelation email yet

I bought mine with PayPal earlier today and received my shipping notice tonight. Shipping by FedEx Ground

Same here...paid via Paypal and just got my Fedex number about 20min ago.

Edit: the tracking info is only for the memory card? Weird! Order number shown is for both but only the memory card is called out on the tracking notification.

Ordered with credit card, no tracking number yet. Fingers crossed for no cancellation. Thanks Noxtek for the heads up! I can't wait to get some shots of the moon. It kills me that I didn't have a good camera to capture the latest lunar eclipse.

Same here...paid via Paypal and just got my Fedex number about 20min ago.

Edit: the tracking info is only for the memory card? Weird! Order number shown is for both but only the memory card is called out on the tracking notification.
Same here. Email only shows memory card. I hope that doesnt mean that they arent sending the camera lol.

so weird, just the memory card.... and its priced out and everything, kinda sketchy... but i've ordered from canon before and always had a good time

My email shows both the camera and the memory card.
well then, We are screwed lol atleast ill get a 4gb sd card valued at 35 dollars then
fedex says my package weighs less then 1 lbs.... That settles that then.

Last edited:
Did you guys have the option selected that said "ship all items together" (or something along those lines)?
If not that could be why you only see tracking for memory card...

The bonus 4GB memory card is shipped from a different location. You will recieve a seperate shipping notice for the camera.

As for whether this is a 'real' camera or not? That question is dubious at best... are you an elitist who refuses to carry anything but a DSLR? If so then no this camera probably won't perform to your strict standards. However this is as good or better than most prosumer point and shoot cameras in the same price range. 42x zoom, 24mm (this means extra wide) angle when zoomed out fully, backlit high sensitivity CMOS sensor (vs inferior CCD), and enough manual features to truly be considered a 'bridge' camera.

About the only things it lacks are:

- Wifi / NFC, a stupid battery hogging feature that all the kids want on their cameras these days
- articulating LCD screen, sorry, this one's stationary and faces from the backside of the camera
- GPS tagging (oh come the fuck on...)

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I've bought a few cameras from Canon's refurb shop in the past. They have good deals all the time, if you missed this check out the other cameras on sale.

Also, best to stock up on a couple of extra batteries:

2x 1300mah batteries for under $8.50 shipped from a US seller with top rated status:

2pack NB-6LH NB-6L Battery for Canon Powershot D10 S95 SD1300 SX500 IS SX260 HS

Or for the ultimate in battery life, 2x Vivitar 1700mah batteries + extra charger for under $15:

2 Pcs NB-6LH Battery for Canon PowerShot SX260 SX500 SX510 SX530 SX700 + Charger

Thanks was just about to look for batteries. Stock says they 2 more of the 1700mah battery packs for sale before they go OOS.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back