Dead Skylake 6700K - Was Motherboard Accomplice?

Yep, Snowbeast, that's pretty much what I think I was about to settle on. . . before I decided to make a run at 4.7GHz.

vcore set to 1.35v manual, LLC 6, cache at 43x.

Ambient temperature is 80f.

HWMonitor reports vcore max of 1.376v and a VID of 1.377v while running P95 small for three minutes just to make sure vcore won't surge too high inexplicably. Temperatures were unacceptable in P95 (85-87c on a couple cores) but temps aren't the point for this part.

HWMonitor reports vcore max of 1.376 and a VID of 1.381v while in RealBench. Currently 20 minutes in and temps are 76/80/68/77. A tad high for my (newly cautious) taste. Though this would likely be 10c lower if I turn off Hyper-threading.

Speaking of which, I wonder if turning off Hyper-Threading last time might have contributed to the bizarre behavior and eventual demise of the chip. Doing so usually decreases temps by ~10c. But I wonder if that and/or other microcode changes altered voltage calculations in an unforeseen way.

Just looked at my notes from the chip that died. . . the crappy behavior didn't start with turning off HT. Rather, turning off HT seems to have been an attempt to mitigate the crappy behavior.

In comparison, this chip is much nicer. So, maybe this has all been a blessing. I'm dialing it back down to 4.6GHz to keep it out of the 80c range with HT enabled. Now in a stress test to see if it can run with cache synced at 1.30v vcore.

Reliability - Most Reliable PC Hardware of 2015

Motherboards - have about 2 1/2% failure rate

CPUs - about 0.3%

So I'd suspect the motherboard caused the 1.9v Vcore eg bad VRM.

You should be able to RMA both the motherboard and the CPU.

That's good info i7Baby. Thanks!

Just to wrap this thread up (or at least my part in it as the OP). . . I'm now running my new 6700K at 4.6GHz on a new Asus Z170-Deluxe (swapped for the Z170-WS that may have been the culprit), adaptive vcore set to 1.290. Offset on auto. LLC at 6. XMP sets RAM to 1.35v. Hyper-threading is on. Didn't need to change any other settings. HWMonitor reports that vcore never exceeds 1.328v under any load type. VID never exceeds 1.305v.

100% stable for 24 hours on Prime95 with min FFT set to 512k (my own personal gold standard for stability without triggering the crazy temps Prime95 can otherwise cause). Temps in an 85f room (we had a heatwave) range between 72-80c at full, prolonged Prime95 load.

The chip could almost certainly do 4.7GHz at reasonable volts and temps. And possibly even 4.8GHz at less reasonable volts and temps. But I'm not going through this all again if another one fails. =)

All is well that ends well. Very happy with this build. Even though it was a lot more trouble than I'd ever experienced before in 2+ decades of doing this stuff.

All is well that ends well. Very happy with this build. Even though it was a lot more trouble than I'd ever experienced before in 2+ decades of doing this stuff.

I like how you keep trying to qualify what you are doing by dropping your "experience" in your posts. Your (paltry) "two decades" of experience in this specific case didn't help you much when you goofed.

I like how you keep trying to qualify what you are doing by dropping your "experience" in your posts. Your (paltry) "two decades" of experience in this specific case didn't help you much when you goofed.
Well, even though you're obviously just here to stir shit, I'll bite: How exactly did I "goof?" By buying a motherboard that would inexplicably send 1.984v of vcore to the CPU? Or buying a dud CPU? I'm curious, how exactly do you assume/assert that I "goofed" and somehow directed that much vcore to the CPU?

Also, is building and/or overclocking CPUs since the 486 era not something worth mentioning anymore? To move beyond a "paltry" level of experience, would I have to have been building abacuses (abacii?)? I mention how long I've been doing this both because it lets the audience know that I don't need tutelage in the basics of computer building or OCing ("you need good cooling to OC") thus saving everyone time and reading, and because, as a venue for sharing our experience, this was a new one for me. Sorry that this troubles you so much.

But, really, not sure why I'm bothering to reply. . . it's pretty obvious what you're up to here.

Edit: Looking back on the thread, I see (slightly) what you mean. . . I do say it quite a bit. Maybe you could try to be little less of a shit-bird though and realize that someone who literally hasn't ever experienced this before in quite a long time of doing this is a little embarrassed and wants to reassure everyone he didn't do anything stupid (or "goofed").

Last edited:
Back