Dead s939 mobo or Opteron 165?

crispyb

Magical Crispyness
I recently started having problems with my Asus A8n SLI Premium mobo w/Opteron 165. System was never overclocked.

I started getting intermittent BSODs and thought it might be with my Patriot PC3200 1gb sticks. I swapped out with a Dell PC3200 I had laying around and it worked for a while. Now I can't even POST. All I get is a blank screen and nothing happens. I removed all add-in cards and even the 7600GTs. I can't even get beep codes. Do you think its the mobo or the CPU? I don't have anther board to test with. I'm guessing its the mobo since CPUs are rarely die after years of use.

Advice Please!

nope. I suspected it might be the capacitors, but no bulging or leakage.

Even cleared CMOS.

Could be power supply or memory. Try using your known working memory with another PS. If you can't POST you might have a dead MB.

I would put my money on a dead mobo. Rare for a CPU to go dead.

Without an alternate board or CPU to test there is no way to tell without any outward signs of failure on the motherboard.

Thanks for the replies guys. I'm nailing it on the mobo. I tested the Patriot memory on a HP P4 machine and it detects 2GB and doesn't crash. I also tested my power supply successfully on the p4 machine as well.

Today I purchased a evga750i, e7200, and 4GB of RAM. I'm also using the same power supply on this mobo as well. I'm typing on the new computer as I speak. And I think my e-penis grew 5in larger today:D

nice.. i was goign to suggest trying the ram in a diff slots.. (seemed to help me recently with motherboard problems) e7200 sounds ok.. but sounds cheaper than your 750i mobo hehe wonder what e8200's going for now

It definitely is the mobo. I was able to test the CPU on a build I did for someone and the processor works fine.

Thanks everyone for their input:)

Back