Dead - Ryzen 5 3600 - $159.99

• Thread starter Deleted member 290925
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm interested to see how much the process improvements help over time. Sounds like NE reviewers (grain of salt) are getting higher OC's comparable to the XT models.

I doubt you'd find better bang for the buck at $160 anywhere though.

I went from 4790k to a 3600. Felt such a huge overall smoothness increase. No more stuttering, slow downs, frame drops.
Went from a 4690k to 3600 2 months ago. Same here, very pleased with the upgrade.

You guys had much more patience than I. I ditched my 4690k for a 2700x and also noticed a massive performance bump.

I picked one up for the $158.97 from amazon along with some ram, now I just gotta hope the ITX boards come back in stock sometime soon.~building a new sff gaming rig for the wifey.

Microcenter now has them priced the same, but you still get the $20 off with motherboard purchase.

So, thats pretty scorching hot IMO

I'm interested to see how much the process improvements help over time. Sounds like NE reviewers (grain of salt) are getting higher OC's comparable to the XT models.

I doubt you'd find better bang for the buck at $160 anywhere though.

It's true... I got one of the newer 3600. Most people nowadays consider gaming + realbench/encoding fully stable for them, so that's around 4.5-4.6 for my chip. Prime95 stable (5+ hours) is 4.3-4.4 with 1.280-1.350 vcore.

Sucks that the MC near me charges 10-11% sales tax making the mobo combo deal lukewarm compared to having it delivered from online retailers.

Sucks that the MC near me charges 10-11% sales tax making the mobo combo deal lukewarm compared to having it delivered from online retailers.
Unless you're buying ebay, amazon and newegg along with a bunch of other sites all charge tax. Unless your delivery address has a huge tax difference to the microcenter by you, there really shouldn't be much of a difference. Are you crossing states or something? Unless your coming from a state with no sales tax and going to a state with sales tax, most states are between 6% and 10%

I'm still running an AMD PHENOM II X6, thinking it's probably time to start a new build lol.

thinking? that ship sailed a long time ago.. ;)

but then again i missed that boat as well since i went from a phenom II 940 @ 3.8Ghz to an R5 1600. was amazed how long i was able to drag out running that cpu but then games started using more than 4 cores.

Unless you're buying ebay, amazon and newegg along with a bunch of other sites all charge tax. Unless your delivery address has a huge tax difference to the microcenter by you, there really shouldn't be much of a difference. Are you crossing states or something? Unless your coming from a state with no sales tax and going to a state with sales tax, most states are between 6% and 10%

There are definitely very few places that don't charge tax.

Some municipalities (larger cities) also are allowed to charge their own sales tax which is why that number could be higher also.

There are definitely very few places that don't charge tax.

Some municipalities (larger cities) also are allowed to charge their own sales tax which is why that number could be higher also.
IIRC all online retailers are supposed to be charging tax, the big vendors had to conform earlier (I think October of last year). But smaller companies have more time to implement, end of this year maybe?

The order I placed yesterday with Newegg charged no sales tax at all. Also, I get 5% back on Amazon purchases so that has to be accounted for as well and tax there is under 6%. I compared in great detail last night and my mobo/cpu/mem/psu order was $7 cheaper through egg/amazon delivered to my door. MC I would have to drive to (1hr 1 way). I'm normally all in on supporting MC for easy returns and company support but COVID human lunacy and financials/time investment said otherwise this go around.

Plus you don't ever enter Microcenter and leave with just want you planned to buy initially. :)

If Chicago, hit up Westmont.

St. Louis area - Brentwood location.

thinking? that ship sailed a long time ago.. ;)

but then again i missed that boat as well since i went from a phenom II 940 @ 3.8Ghz to an R5 1600. was amazed how long i was able to drag out running that cpu but then games started using more than 4 cores.
but my phenom is 6 cores....i'm thinking I can squeeze a few more years out of it.

but my phenom is 6 cores....i'm thinking I can squeeze a few more years out of it.
Unless you haven't changed anything you're doing on the computer for ten years, I can't fathom how you think that's ok. The leap in tech has been huge, and although Intel has stagnated, AMD has been climbing steadily after its massive leap with first gen Ryzen. I went from an 8350 8 core (faster and newer than your phenom) to my 6 core 8700k (should be worse right,) and the difference was astounding. Now the 2600 in my gf's pc can nearly keep up with my 8700k, and the 3600 is even better than that. My server went from an x4 965 be to a ryzen 1700x, the difference was mind blowing for that computer's uses (which regularly uses the larger quantity of cores.) Just the single core improvement will make it worthwhile, you have no idea how much time you're sitting and waiting with everything but the most basic of tasks until you upgrade.

They are pretty slow cores compared to a Ryzen 3600.
But more that adequate if the person only does web browsing or light gaming. That being said, I do agree, that is some pretty slow cores compare to Ryzen 3600.

I had a 6 core Phenom II. I loved it. However, it was even CPU limited with my Radeon HD7870. I had thought that system was already pretty great. But a later upgrade to an Skylake i3 6100.....showed even more performance from my 7870. And not too much later----a Kaby Lake 7600k.

A phenom II X6 is probably still fine for average web browsing. but its going to limit virtually any worthwhile GPU. Even the budget stuff.

Both Amazon and Walmart have it at $154.99.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice price. I need them to compete on the price of a 3900x. Not the value CPU of the day.

Nice price. I need them to compete on the price of a 3900x. Not the value CPU of the day.
There was a deal in the past few days for $370 and ac Valhalla included. Seems pretty competitive to me. I paid 420 back earlier this year.

I have an Ryzen 1600.. is it worth it to go from the 3.2ghz to 3.6ghz? What is that maybe a 12% increase in speed? Any other difference besides it being a 7nm cpu?

I have an Ryzen 1600.. is it worth it to go from the 3.2ghz to 3.6ghz? What is that maybe a 12% increase in speed? Any other difference besides it being a 7nm cpu?

it's a whole lot more than just going from 3.2Ghz to 3.6Ghz.. the 3600/3600x will easily run over 4Ghz with stock boost. but it really comes down to what you use your PC for, what resolution/refresh rate you might game at.. if you're not trying to run 144hz+ or doing heavy production workloads the 1600 is probably still fine even with a mild overclock.

I want to but with the same per core performance as the Xeon 1231 V3, I doubt its actually going to make a lick of difference in my server.

What use cases are you guys seeing the most drastic improvement in performance after the jump?

The IPC also got better, so even at 3.2ghz vs 3.2ghz the 3600 is faster. The easiest thing to do is compare benchmarks at the single thread level, where you'll really notice the difference. For example here https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/AMD-Ryzen-5-3600-vs-AMD-Ryzen-5-1600/4040vs3919 shows on average about 30% better single thread performance. Anyway only you can decide if your cpu is holding you back in your current use case.

How does 3600 compare to 4790k?
I think the 3600 will eat the 4790k for breakfast, lunch and dinner. I have the 2600 and the 5820K. If I remember correctly, the 5820K, 6 cores needed to OC to 4.2-4.3Ghz to match the 2600 in Cinebench R15. 4790k is a quad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back