Dead - Ryzen 5 2600 + ASRock X370 Killer = $200 Shipped (After $25 MIR) @ Newegg

should i upgrade my 4790k to this?
Deal is over but to answer your question.

https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i7-4790K-vs-AMD-Ryzen-5-2600/2384vs3955

The difference is small. The 2700x would be a better upgrade from what you have now.
I have an i7 3770 and even I have a hard time justifying an upgrade. Been with this system for many many years.
I figure at peak multicore performance, I will see 100% performance gain with an i7 8700. Not willing to pay for what they cost new.

Deal is over but to answer your question.

https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i7-4790K-vs-AMD-Ryzen-5-2600/2384vs3955

The difference is small. The 2700x would be a better upgrade from what you have now.
I have an i7 3770 and even I have a hard time justifying an upgrade. Been with this system for many many years.
I figure at peak multicore performance, I will see 100% performance gain with an i7 8700. Not willing to pay for what they cost new.

Downgrade? Never. I went from one of the fastest 3770Ks to exist (5Ghz daily All core, 5.2Ghz for some CPU limited games and benchmarks with DDR3 2600 memory 16GB in dualchannel) to a 4.1Ghz Ryzen 1600 with 2933 3200 and then 3200 DDR4 after a proper bios update and it was a wonderful upgrade. The Intel software patches issues by MS slowed the system down a good bit. It just felt off, and nothing I could do would make it go back to the way it felt prior to those updates. I even did a full reinstall of Windows 10 and my core programs as a last resort. I sold the combo off dirt cheap, and went Ryzen.

I grabbed the Ryzen 1600 with a X370 Prime (at the time, it bricked its bios so I replaced it with a 470 Prime) and the system was so much smoother. I was using a Single platinum clocking V56 under water for gaming in both systems (1800mhz/1100~1150Mhz HBM) @ 1440P with Freesync. The system just felt so much smoother, even when gaming with Firefox with 25+ loaded tabs and several other programs open in the background. The same setup would choke the 3770K system and cause hitching and a big hit to the min FPS.

I grabbed a 2700 and took it to 4.3Ghz, and it was even better. Was able to run my ram @ 3200 with tighter timings, and the system was even smoother with an even larger amount of background tasks running. At one point I was mining Cryptonight on 4 threads (making a 2600 available to run the background tasks and my game) and it was like the game was the only thing running.

This type of "smoothness" is something that cannot really be explained to people with patched Intel 4c/8t CPUs..It has to be felt, much like Free/G-sync vs a static refresh rate. Once you experience it, there is no going back.

I cannot wait for AMD to release the coming high clocking/higher IPC 8c models, and hopefully the 12c model. I will be doing a day 1 order, along with another 16GB of ram now that it has come back down to decent prices. The core wars are here, and the war is nearly won.

This was an awesome deal for someone looking to build a great system on the cheap. Pair it with a 4-8GB 580 and 8~16GB of ram and you could have a really nice system for $650~800 depending on how much you value your case looks etc.

I was thinking of going Ryzen as well just because the cpus aren't affected by the Intel hussle hardware hack.

Downgrade? Never. I went from one of the fastest 3770Ks to exist (5Ghz daily All core, 5.2Ghz for some CPU limited games and benchmarks with DDR3 2600 memory 16GB in dualchannel) to a 4.1Ghz Ryzen 1600 with 2933 3200 and then 3200 DDR4 after a proper bios update and it was a wonderful upgrade. The Intel software patches issues by MS slowed the system down a good bit. It just felt off, and nothing I could do would make it go back to the way it felt prior to those updates. I even did a full reinstall of Windows 10 and my core programs as a last resort. I sold the combo off dirt cheap, and went Ryzen.

I grabbed the Ryzen 1600 with a X370 Prime (at the time, it bricked its bios so I replaced it with a 470 Prime) and the system was so much smoother. I was using a Single platinum clocking V56 under water for gaming in both systems (1800mhz/1100~1150Mhz HBM) @ 1440P with Freesync. The system just felt so much smoother, even when gaming with Firefox with 25+ loaded tabs and several other programs open in the background. The same setup would choke the 3770K system and cause hitching and a big hit to the min FPS.

I grabbed a 2700 and took it to 4.3Ghz, and it was even better. Was able to run my ram @ 3200 with tighter timings, and the system was even smoother with an even larger amount of background tasks running. At one point I was mining Cryptonight on 4 threads (making a 2600 available to run the background tasks and my game) and it was like the game was the only thing running.

This type of "smoothness" is something that cannot really be explained to people with patched Intel 4c/8t CPUs..It has to be felt, much like Free/G-sync vs a static refresh rate. Once you experience it, there is no going back.
Good to hear some personal experience. Someone else said the OP switching two this 1600 would be a downgrade from what he already has. I don't agree it would be a downgrade but based on those benchmarks I posed, it would not be a huge upgrade. Certainly nothing I'd be willing to spend for even with my slower CPU (bare in mind I'd need to buy RAM also). Of course, everyone values their upgrade budget differently. I do not use my PC as much as I used to. 10 years ago, I might have been willing to spend a few hundred on a 25% CPU boost. I myself am looking forward to the Ryzen 3000 series and maybe an upgrade this year however, I would like to see at least a 60% performance boost over my current system.

What you say about Freesync is true. I've been using it for years with RX4xx and RX5xx cards. You have to experience it.

Back