Dead Motherboard? Or something else?

Hi All. Recently my desktop won't boot up where there was no more power going to the motherboard and no fans turn on etc. I do see the LED on the 3.5" USB hub in front of the tower light up, but it would promptly turn off when trying to power on the system.

I bought a new eVGA 750W psu thinking it's the culprit but the same symptoms exist. I tried booting up with bare minimum of monitor and power cord but still no go. Do you guys think it's the motherboard or some other culprit?

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270-HD3 V1
CPU: Intel i5 (forget which model honestly)
RAM: Team 16GB TLGD416G3000HC16CDC01
Graphics: None. Using integrated Intel
New PSU: evga EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G5
Old PSU: Corsair TX750W

It's either the PSU or the motherboard. First thing you do is make sure your PSU 24-pin and 4/8-pin connectors are fully inserted until the latch clicks. Flip the PSU rocker switch to "|" for on.

Your motherboard should have a standby LED for the 5V rail. Can you check and see if the standby LED is on?

Finally, it sounds dumb but make sure the front panel PWR SW connector is on correctly, and that the power button isn't stuck on anything (wire/garbage). Then try turning it on again and see what happens.

If you turn it on and nothing happens, likey the motherboard is dead. Last thing you can try is pulling the motherboard from the case and booting on a flat surface like a table. Could be that there is a case to motherboard short somewhere.

It's either the PSU or the motherboard. First thing you do is make sure your PSU 24-pin and 4/8-pin connectors are fully inserted until the latch clicks. Flip the PSU rocker switch to "|" for on.
I double-checked the connections both on the PSU (since it's modular) and the mobo side and they are fully inserted.

Your motherboard should have a standby LED for the 5V rail. Can you check and see if the standby LED is on?
Nope no standby LED's on the mobo are on anymore.

Finally, it sounds dumb but make sure the front panel PWR SW connector is on correctly, and that the power button isn't stuck on anything (wire/garbage). Then try turning it on again and see what happens.
I had this happen before too but unfortunately not the case this time =(

If you turn it on and nothing happens, likey the motherboard is dead. Last thing you can try is pulling the motherboard from the case and booting on a flat surface like a table. Could be that there is a case to motherboard short somewhere.
Tried it out of the case and still not working. I think the mobo is dead. Will send a email to Gigabyte and wait their reply.

Back