Dead Logitech Z560s, replace with Z906 or AVR + Speakers?

kyuusei

n00b
I'm by no means an audio expert so I'd like some input regarding my situation. I've been using a set of Logitech Z-560 4.1s hooked up to my computer via an X-Fi Elite Pro for awhile now and it recently bit the bullet.

I do gaming as well as watch Blurays on my computer. Looking through various threads it appeared to me that AVRs + Speakers/Sub is the way to go, but I'm on an tight budget. $600 is the hard cap, and to be honest I don't want to spend even over $300.

If I go AVR + Speakers/Sub, I've been looking at the Energy Take Classic 5.1 for speakers/sub but I'm having difficulty locating a cheapish AVR that still has 6 analog inputs. The cheaper option for me would be just getting a set of Logitech Z906s. I know I'll be sacrificing a lot of quality by going for the Logitechs but while I can most certainly appreciate the boost in quality, I don't exactly need it and my budget is the most important factor. Plus I live in an apartment so I may not be able to even make the use out of the superior speakers.

Your thoughts/opinions?

YES!

Go used if you can...check Craigslist if its healthy and active in your area.

Just as an example...see the audio equipment list in my signature? Thats all used off of Craigslist.

The JBL's believe it or not I got in trade for 10 Blu-rays I had (crap movies too), the receiver I traded a 16GB iPod Touch 3G (like last year), the subwoofer I actually did buy new, but only like $100 shipped on Parts-Express. Headphones and amp I traded for too while the equalizer attached to them I got for $5 at a thrift store.

Now granted you may not have stuff to trade and what not but the point is that I have made a pretty bad-ass sound system for super cheap...price I paid for everything (either cash or money value of traded items):

$100 for the JBL's ($10 a movie, guy was already asking mad cheap prices but definite STEAL!!!)
$125 for the receiver (what I paid for the iPod Touch :) )
$100 for the sub (new $100 online)

Sooo...$325 for a sound system 1000x better than any computer speaker system and probably better than any HTIB at any price range. Thats what being thrifty and smart gets ya! ;)

But alas, this is just one example. I've actually done this more than once throughout the years. Hell, bought a Z-680 Logitech system for $60 on Craigslist and a 4.1 Altec-Lansing THX PC system for $20 at Goodwill most recently.

Just remember...new isn't always needed and you can get very good gear for cheap if you're patient and can catch good deals when they happen. Hope this helps and good luck!

OH...just to answer your original question and assuming you are buying new then go with the receiver and speakers fo sho! Check out Parts-Express for some cheap yet good speakers and scrounge the interwebs for a nice receiver. I mean, even its out of budget or more than you would prefer spending you have to remember that with a receiver system you are usually getting much better quality then you would from some Logitechs. Especially in the reliability realm...better audio quality is a given.

about 4-5 years ago before DTS-HD MA and Dolby TrueHD were common in recievers, there were a crapton of recievers with analog inputs.

most of which are availible for $100 on the used market.

2nd option:
http://shop.emotiva.com/collections/amplifiers/products/upa500

but remember if you choose this option you will have to do all EQ and crossovers in software. for videos and audio this is not a problem, as multiple audio filters and programs exist that can handle it, and better than most recievers, for gaming, you're at the mercy of your sound card drivers.

Last edited:
about 4-5 years ago before DTS-HD MA and Dolby TrueHD were common in recievers, there were a crapton of recievers with analog inputs.

most of which are availible for $100 on the used market.

2nd option:
http://shop.emotiva.com/collections/amplifiers/products/upa500

but remember if you choose this option you will have to do all EQ and crossovers in software. for videos and audio this is not a problem, as multiple audio filters and programs exist that can handle it, and better than most recievers, for gaming, you're at the mercy of your sound card drivers.

Depends on the receiver. My AVR-1610 has a built in 9-band EQ and sounds wonderful with zero distortion or anything.

That or he could get a few equalizers for each channel ;)

Depends on the receiver. My AVR-1610 has a built in 9-band EQ and sounds wonderful with zero distortion or anything.

That or he could get a few equalizers for each channel ;)

no, i was saying only if you go the power amp route instead of the reciever.

no, i was saying only if you go the power amp route instead of the reciever.

Ohhh OK...in that case you're correct.

And from what I've experienced software EQ is horrible, often times hurting sound more than helping it.

Back