Dead Island: Riptide Trailer Released

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Zombies are still alive and well (as alive and well as the dead can be) and inhabiting the island of Palanai. The game trailer is some pretty dark stuff especially for a promo, but the game is centered on zombies and death. Riptide is scheduled for release on popular platforms in 2013.

This trailer and the original Dead Island trailer are the way trailers should be made. They are just awesome.

As for execution, Dead Island was a real bummer. If it worked better on launch probably would have finished it. But it was horribly buggy, so I barely made it to the second part of the game.

As for execution, Dead Island was a real bummer. If it worked better on launch probably would have finished it. But it was horribly buggy, so I barely made it to the second part of the game.

Theres also the fact that the whole game is pretty much the same enemy over and over, apart from a few rare types which all just seem to have 1 extra attack pattern and more health.

It ws a pretty terrible game in many, many ways...but for some reason you just keep playing it and the terrible/broken/unbalanced/buggy/ugly/annoying stuff just becomes funny somehow. :D

Zombies are still alive and well (as alive and well as the dead can be) and inhabiting the island of Palanai. The game trailer is some pretty dark stuff especially for a promo, but the game is centered on zombies and death. Riptide is scheduled for release on popular platforms in 2013.

I've been on an anti-FPS kick for a while now.

The trailers are really cool for these games. The games don't play like a trailer 'cause zombie movies/games/books aren't about running around shooting things. It's about the stuff that happens in between the shooting parts and that doesn't include just walking to the next area where you shoot things.

I suppose that criticism applies to most FPS games.

Imagine reading a book that went something like this: My name is sam, I just shot a bunch of dudes. Then I walked into another room and shot a bunch more. It was cool. Did I mention they were zombies? Scary.

Aren't people wise to this formula by now? They release a fancy cinematic trailer that isn't remotely what you get in the game,then release an unfinished,problem plagued POS with almost zero support or post release patches.

I've been on an anti-FPS kick for a while now.

The trailers are really cool for these games. The games don't play like a trailer 'cause zombie movies/games/books aren't about running around shooting things. It's about the stuff that happens in between the shooting parts and that doesn't include just walking to the next area where you shoot things.

I suppose that criticism applies to most FPS games.

Imagine reading a book that went something like this: My name is sam, I just shot a bunch of dudes. Then I walked into another room and shot a bunch more. It was cool. Did I mention they were zombies? Scary.

The other day someone called L4D a shitty zombie game and i thought about that alot. I guess if you are a fan of zombie MOVIES and books you might say that. As a fan of video games first, L4D 1 and 2 are some of the most brilliant CO-OP experiences ever made.

Probably like the darksiders games, First on is a good idea (dark siders was a super grate game) second one is very similar to the first with some addons, same thing happend with prototype. My opinion is it is an over priced dlc/update.

I enjoyed this game with friends. It was intense at times as well. Look forward to it.

I never finished Dead Island, but what I played was pretty good. Their trailers are very well done, you have to at least give them that. And +1 on the L4D comments, I'd love to see a 3rd.. :)

Gameplay aside, I know its extremely repetitive, Dead Island had some amazing graphics for a DX9 game, and this trailer here is flat out killer, I love it. I think i'll look into the next one for an article perhaps.

Aren't people wise to this formula by now? They release a fancy cinematic trailer that isn't remotely what you get in the game,then release an unfinished,problem plagued POS with almost zero support or post release patches.

I guess you haven't tried it on the latest patch then :rolleyes:

Also, just get the community mod and enjoy a better game where guns are useful but only headshots kill.

I liked Dead Island. It didn't try to be a Left For Dead Clone, and I think it succeeded very well.

Some thing could have been done better, but not bad for a zombie game. At least you didn't die time and time and time.

Zombie RPG!

I guess you haven't tried it on the latest patch then :rolleyes:

Also, just get the community mod and enjoy a better game where guns are useful but only headshots kill.

Are you saying we shouldn't expect a game to work out of the box?

Are you saying we shouldn't expect a game to work out of the box?

Pretty sure he's saying "if there's a fix, then quit being a whiny little bitch about it as if there isn't a fix".

...or something along those lines. The fact is that, sometimes, shit doesn't work 100% right out of the gate. People can continue crying about it two years later, or they can shut their whiny little mouths and download a patch.

Pretty sure he's saying "if there's a fix, then quit being a whiny little bitch about it as if there isn't a fix".

...or something along those lines. The fact is that, sometimes, shit doesn't work 100% right out of the gate. People can continue crying about it two years later, or they can shut their whiny little mouths and download a patch.

Last time I checked developers take money in exchange for their game hence "the shit" should work right out of the box.

Truth is this game had very poor QA and those dumbasses like me who paid full price for this game became their post launch QA.

I will never buy another game from this studio.

Did they fix all the bugs in the first game?

I've heard it had some issues which was what stopping me from picking it up during the Steam sales.

Wow, no love in this forum...:p

At launch, the game was a crash fest, and a single savegame file was infuriating, esp if it got corrupt, which of course it always did, if you got too many items, but after a slew of patches, an app that saved multiple savegame files, the game became quite fun.

very poor QA and those dumbasses like me who paid full price for this game became their post launch QA.

Define very poor QA.

Do you define it as spending less than $1 500 000 on QA? (Techland spent at least that on QA)

Anyway, if it isn't much different from the original I don't think I'll pick this one up.

Define very poor QA.

Do you define it as spending less than $1 500 000 on QA? (Techland spent at least that on QA)

Anyway, if it isn't much different from the original I don't think I'll pick this one up.

They spent $1.5m on fixing bugs, and it was still one of the buggiest, brokenest games released ever? :p

How bad was it to begin with? Was it just a grey mishapen room where it crashed if you touched any controls and set fire to the PC? :confused:

This trailer and the original Dead Island trailer are the way trailers should be made. They are just awesome.

Except for the woman going all bozz-eyed at 45 seconds and checking out both his ears simultaneously

They sure know how to hype... I didn't like the first game but damn those trailers are good.

They clearly learned their lesson. The lesson being there are plenty of people stupid enough to buy a game based off a cinematic trailer that has nothing to do with the actual game :p

Cool trailer though, lol.

Dead Island was such a let down... beyond the bugs the game was incredible boring....

Yeah, don't let the flashy trailers fool you. The first game had one and the game itself had a terrible, completely borked launch and then relatively little developer support after the fact.

It wasn't a terrible game by any means, and the formula was interesting (basically Borderlands with zombies and mostly melee) but in a lot of ways the game failed to deliver.

Won't be buying this one on day 1 like I did with the first game. Fool me once, Techland, shame on you...

Great trailers. Poor gameplay and support. If only they made a game that had a story capable of doing the same thing their trailers do, then they might have something.

As most everyone has pointed out the first one had a great trailer also and the game was HORRIBLE. I definitely won't even be glancing at this expansion.

I, personally, loved the first game. The gameplay was fantastic and had a lot of fun playing it with friends. It was a buggy POS though. My old roomate lost his progress at least 3 times resulting in a lot of lost time and had way too many issues trying to connect to other players and crashes (PS3 version). Their post release support was pretty sad too.

I'll certainly be following this one, however, if it's all just recycled maps (which it sounds like it could be from what I've read) and the same old shoddy quality, I might end up skipping it.

They spent $1.5m on fixing bugs, and it was still one of the buggiest, brokenest games released ever? :p

How bad was it to begin with? Was it just a grey mishapen room where it crashed if you touched any controls and set fire to the PC? :confused:

Well, they spent more.

It seems like that because you don't know anything about the process of creating an engine or game of that scale, especially for computers. :p :)

Define very poor QA.

1) Initial release was an incorrect beta build
2) Very few patches and almost no developer feedback
3) Support ended only a few months after the game's release...actually, right around the time they were releasing DLC...
4) AFAIK, some serious game-breaking bugs, like weapons being able to fall through the floor and/or disappear entirely are STILL in the game.

So...yeah. Again, not the worst game ever, but one of the worst launches ever followed by poor support.

I really REALLY wanted to love this game but i didnt... The Trailers are just Frikken awesome... they should go into Zombie CG movies because they got that stuff right! Games.... Ehhh not so much...

It seems like that because they don't know anything about the process of creating an engine or game of that scale, especially for computers. :p :)

FTFY :p

Still hopefully it was a learning experience and Dead Island 7 might be ok... In a retro gaming kind of way.

Back