Dead Island - Best Open World Zombie Game Ever?

I've been lucky! Over 20 hours gametime and havent had a single thrown weapon disappear... yet.

Still, my character is an alcoholic and will drink booze every time I press "E" if booze is in a weapon slot.

I mentioned this above. Both seemed to be f'ed up. I was pretty far in single, moved over to try Co op. Got on a buddies campaign. He was leveled up with the weapons he had at that point. I had nothing.

When I went back to my singleplayer, all my weapons were gone. My level went down about 10, and skills reset to nothing.

Not sure if I want to go through this again. I had things taken care of. So pissed right now.

I'm leaving mine on single player.

I'm leaving mine on single player.

Well, an update.

So something I missed before, in the settings, I think under game, it shows two seperate characters for me. One for co op and the other for singleplayer. So in my instance, it did save the progress of my single player.

Just had to look for it.

Update on my issue: started my game back up, didn't save my quest progress, but it saved the loss of my fucking thrown orange item. :mad:

Is there a voice option anywhere in this game? How is it not possible to mute other players at this point???

you can try using the last save game option if you notice a weapon get tossed. it might help. the game does incremental saves, but only when you complete something.

What do you think of the game so far?

I'm enjoying it. It's kind of like a modern day Oblivion, but with Zombies. I've got about 6 hours into it and it's been awhile since I was able or willing to put 6 hours into a game in two days time. I'd play more if I had more time to spare. I've also got Hard Reset but I haven't touched it yet. Game play is solid but there are some things I wish would change. Such as the respawning of items and enemies. I don't like it. Then again certain areas would probably get boring without some bad guys to kill. The graphics aren't very good either. It looks like a console port. I'm pretty sure it is just that but I'm enjoying it anyway.

Is there a voice option anywhere in this game? How is it not possible to mute other players at this point???
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showpost.php?p=25015672&postcount=547

1. Edit Data\Scripts\Audio\audioproperties.scr
2. Search SpeechCoop
3. Change VolumeMultiplier to 0.0
4. Save
5. Copy File to C:\Users\<Log-In-Name>\Documents\DeadIsland\out\Data\Scripts\Audio

Not ideal; muting sure would be nice, then you could leave voice open for players who aren't idiots on the mic.

Anyone else impressed by how quick the mod community is jumping onto this game? Like improving weather effects, a whole configuration utility for odd options, a realism mod, etc after just a few days? The improvements the mod community is making and how fast they jumped on this game really gives me hope for getting value for my money. In that, I can potentially play the game in six months and have it look better/play different/maybe a new campaign and by doing so have a 'new' experience.

its not anywhere close as huge world as fallout games and i havent encountered any bug so far, made it to act3 and its a blast to play.

Well, I got around my "losing weapons when throwing" issue by just duping the shit that I care about from now on and storing it with Jin (who I just encountered, thankfully...just reached the city). I figure if the game is going to be broken in one way I'll just exploit its brokenness in another way to counteract it. :rolleyes: :p

I'm enjoying it. It's kind of like a modern day Oblivion, but with Zombies. I've got about 6 hours into it and it's been awhile since I was able or willing to put 6 hours into a game in two days time. I'd play more if I had more time to spare. I've also got Hard Reset but I haven't touched it yet. Game play is solid but there are some things I wish would change. Such as the respawning of items and enemies. I don't like it. Then again certain areas would probably get boring without some bad guys to kill. The graphics aren't very good either. It looks like a console port. I'm pretty sure it is just that but I'm enjoying it anyway.

Sounds like something I'll wait for in the sale bin at this rate.

The more I play this,the more I like it. Its just got some weird bugs.....but its sort of fun trying to figure a way to work around them.

Sounds like something I'll wait for in the sale bin at this rate.

The damage and character models are pretty good but the textures are unimpressive. The models for the world are lower poly than a lot of games would be these days. Even on consoles. Texturing on many things is either sub-par to simply bad. Environmental interactivity is low. Granted almost everything can be searched but there is no real interaction with it. It just rests in a closed or open state. You can move some objects like bar stools and whatever by brushing them or bumping them but plants and many other objects can't be touched. With regard to respawning objects, the respawning vehicles kind of bother me. Mainly there is a bungalow which had a truck crashed through it. You need to drive it out and help the people inside. You end up driving the survivor to the lighthouse at some point. You of course take the truck and crash it into zombies along the way etc. Eventually you find yourself at the lighthouse and when you come out the truck may or may not be there. Anyway when I've come back by that bungalow later, even without quitting the game the truck has respawned in the living room of the bungalow where I found it the first time. So far parts of the game I've encountered are extremely repetitive leading me to wonder if I'd been in an area before. If you quit the game expect everything to be searchable again with zombies all pretty much where you last saw them. The game does randomize the zombie's some and does vary the positioning of some of them.

Respawning zombies doesn't bother me. You never see it happen on screen. Plus if you are in an area, they may be picking up on you. It sort of creates the illusion of zombie migration through the land which makes sense. However having to search bags, rooms, break down doors, etc. which you've already dealt with is kind of annoying. Though this may have been a design choice as it allows people to be able to scavenge for resources repeatedly and allows there to be items left when people join your game as you play if you have the internet feature turned on. So far the biggest thing that irritates me are some of the bugged quests. There is a quest where you have to find car parts for a truck that no doubt respawns. At any rate after quitting and turning the internet game feature off, I lost all the parts I collected and the game won't let me collect them anymore. So far that's the only one I've found that really bothered me, but it's annoying just the same.

Despite what seems like a long list of complaints, the game really is a lot of fun.

I love how the trucks get stopped by picnic baskets....

but I agree, for how bugged the game is, and for how not up to todays graphics standards it is, it is still a lot fun.

little more variety of skins and such would be a great help I think as well.

I get really bored playing this solo to the point where I wasn't interested in firing it up a second time. Random person joining me from the internet makes all the difference in the world in this game. Having someone to joke around with as you kill zombies in interesting ways makes the game worthwhile.

I get really bored playing this solo to the point where I wasn't interested in firing it up a second time. Random person joining me from the internet makes all the difference in the world in this game. Having someone to joke around with as you kill zombies in interesting ways makes the game worthwhile.

That feature didn't do anything for me at all. I prefer playing it alone. Then again my personality borders on anti-social at times.

Despite what seems like a long list of complaints, the game really is a lot of fun.

This pretty much sums it up. There are quite a few glaring issues that, while annoying, are not completely game-breaking (though they really should release another patch soon), and overall the game is really, really fun to play.

Played some co-op for the first time last night. Kinda fun, probably would be even better with 4 people. Although starting from level 1 (we had some level discrepancy issues trying to play our main characters) the zombies still seem way too easy for two people. We basically just kicked all of them to death in like 5 seconds each. The cool thing was being able to get in front and behind a Thug and take turns drawing aggro which made him a lot easier to deal with. I imagine in the later parts (the city) it would get a lot more fun co-op, but we didn't get that far.

How to have fun in Dead Island:

1.) Edit the Video.scr file to make the graphics alot better.

2.) Get a friend to play with you

3.) Set up a "Kill of the day" acheivment between the two of you

4.) ??????

5.) Profit!

Edit: on my 5th play through the campaign now! :)

Edit edit: This time I -WILL- find the chainsaw!!!

I gotta say the graphics (once tweaked) are actually pretty solid. You can adjust the texture and shadow resolutions, as well as AF, in the video file and fattypants uploaded a FOV and post processing tweak that made the game look fantastic. DI also makes use of SSAO and the art direction starting at act II is pretty awesome. I'll admit the character models leave something to be desired and the clipping can be annoying but everything else is visually pleasing both indoors and outdoors.

I'm not liking the fact that we have yet to see an actual patch (the initial launch was the dev version, which was "patched" to the retail version). There are plenty of issues to be found and I haven't heard a peep from the company about any potential patches.

They haven't even announced the "free" makeup gift they promised for the complete clusterfuck that was their launch day. I'm sure another patch is in the works.

I understand it may have taken a considerable amount of time to improve the driving physics in the game but as it is it, it does seem kind of silly for being a 2011 game. Funny after crashing into all these zombies, barriers, etc the only damage taken is broken windows.

They haven't even announced the "free" makeup gift they promised for the complete clusterfuck that was their launch day. I'm sure another patch is in the works.

Hopefully soon-ish. They busted out a day 1 patch and then another shortly after, and now we haven't heard anything from them in a week. Kinda disappointing, but a week isn't too long so hopefully something is in the works. Be nice if they actually told us what was going on, though.

This pretty much sums it up. There are quite a few glaring issues that, while annoying, are not completely game-breaking (though they really should release another patch soon), and overall the game is really, really fun to play.

I generally agree with you and Dan here--this game is lot of fun, almost in spite of itself.

However, the save corruption issue would be game breaking for me at this point. I wouldn't sit down and replaythe game if it decides to strip me of my items or refuses to load the character, etc. I don't have this problem, but more and more threads seem to be popping up, complaining about having the last 30 hours wasted. If there were a real save system, so I could rotate something like 4 or 5 slots, then having one save get corrupted isn't a huge deal...but we don't have a real save system.

That feature didn't do anything for me at all. I prefer playing it alone. Then again my personality borders on anti-social at times.

I had a guy from Brazil playing with me that constantly had to stop and figure out his translations when discussing tactics with me. No matter how many times I told him his English was fine with me, he kept apologizing. I think he even tried to copy some of my Deep South accent which was hilarious also. Wish I could remember his name so I could add him to Steam friend's list.

Oh yea I figured out that if I took off running at the infected and hit jump + kick I would knock then flat on their backs. So after about an hour the Brazilian guy start hollering "Hadoken" every time I did this or the Ken uppercut /spinning leg kick sound. He made me forget that I had a cold I was laughing so hard.

Finally lost my weapons :[. I threw my only good weapons at him (because I was on the boardwalk and could get positioned right to break his arms), and he ended up killing me. Repawn weapons are gone, load last checkpoint, no longer in my inventory and I probably lost all the 2 hours of play I just put in.

As fun as this game is that shit is frustrating. Putting this one up until its fixed.

Finally lost my weapons :[. I threw my only good weapons at him (because I was on the boardwalk and could get positioned right to break his arms), and he ended up killing me. Repawn weapons are gone, load last checkpoint, no longer in my inventory and I probably lost all the 2 hours of play I just put in.

As fun as this game is that shit is frustrating. Putting this one up until its fixed.

The only thing you can do at this point is dupe your weapons using the throw + drop exploit. Sucks but at least you won't lose your good shit.

Oh yea I figured out that if I took off running at the infected and hit jump + kick I would knock then flat on their backs. So after about an hour the Brazilian guy start hollering "Hadoken" every time I did this or the Ken uppercut /spinning leg kick sound. He made me forget that I had a cold I was laughing so hard.

My Sam B tackle works well too, but only when there's only one of them. At the point in the game I'm at, I keep getting swarmed by 3 at a time. That's when I start looking for a car or table or something to jump up on.

My Sam B tackle works well too, but only when there's only one of them. At the point in the game I'm at, I keep getting swarmed by 3 at a time. That's when I start looking for a car or table or something to jump up on.

I make lots of deodorant bombs. They work like a charm for taking down the big thugs and groups like that.

Back