Dead Island - Best Open World Zombie Game Ever?

This game really sounds like a cluster@#$% from what I'm reading in this thread. Lots of potential, though.

Am I reading most of you correctly?

This game really sounds like a cluster@#$% from what I'm reading in this thread. Lots of potential, though.

Other than multimonitor omissions and woes, I haven't had any problems.
I have had some missions get screwed up, but eventually everything worked out.

This game needs a save system you can understand, along with other things.....

It's really kinda buggy, I must admit one of the least polished games I've played in a long, long time. It might be super next year after it's been patched a dozen times.

No problems here other then that u cant cuztomise graphic settings the way you want without the game to crash but during game no crash etc so far and i made it to act3 now.

Other than multimonitor omissions and woes, I haven't had any problems.
I have had some missions get screwed up, but eventually everything worked out.

http://widescreengamingforum.com/news/dead-island-multi-monitor-hud-and-menus-fix-available

Looks like WSGF has been working away on FOV and other things. :)

This game needs a save system you can understand, along with other things.....

It's really kinda buggy, I must admit one of the least polished games I've played in a long, long time. It might be super next year after it's been patched a dozen times.

Thanks for the warning. I guess I'll wait for the $20 or so sale and by that time maybe this thing will be patched up enough.

I think so. It's more fun than Deus Ex HR despite being just as repetitive, but there are some issues that need patching. Not game-breaking/ruining, but the game would be more fun if they were addressed.

The more I read about this game,the less interested I am. Partially because I'm not a fan of melee type combat,but that's a personal preference. But this game sounds like it outdoes Fallout 3 for the sheer number of bugs. Sounds like yet another example of the developers spending all their time on the console version and the PC version was just an afterthought.

http://widescreengamingforum.com/new...-fix-available

Looks like WSGF has been working away on FOV and other things.

Oh, absolutely.
I fixed my FOV using the WinRar-Data.pak edit and the menu fix works very, very well.

I should have prefaced that with....initially......but why, oh why does the community of folks have to fix this stuff? It should come this way......jesus hire some PC guys to do testing and let them tell you what to fix.;)

if you liked borderlands, then this is worth it at full price. get a discount on GMG and it becomes even better.

Why would i buy a game that sounds so broken. Im gonna wait at least 2-3 months. Too many games that aren't broken, that keep me busy, no point in jumping on a game while its not patched enough yet.

The more I read about this game,the less interested I am. Partially because I'm not a fan of melee type combat,but that's a personal preference. But this game sounds like it outdoes Fallout 3 for the sheer number of bugs. Sounds like yet another example of the developers spending all their time on the console version and the PC version was just an afterthought.

It's not just the PC... the console version is screwed too. My roomate lost his progress 3 times so far on the PS3 (and the patch, thats no longer avalible, totally reset all his stats and level to 0). Last night, my roomate, a friend and myself were all playing it locally (at my house) and literally every 10 mins someones PS3 would lock up or people would get bounced. I haven't played a game this buggy since Oblivion.

The developers are either incompetent or they were forced to release an unfinished game

edit: I'm not a melee fan either, but the game does it right. It's very satisfying.

I haven't come across any bugs in the many hours I've played (PC version). I'm not denying that there isn't bugs. Apparently, many people are having some issues.

I also couldn't compare this to borderlands (another game I put way too many hours in). The skill tree, leveling, and even items colors reminds me of borderlands, the game play is nothing like it. Borderlands gameplay is fast, while DI is slow and measured. The game play reminds me a lot more like Fallout3/NV.

There are some design issues which I do hate about DI. Mainly, the console-centric UI and the save point feature. Yet, despite it's shortcomings, it is probably one of the best games I've played in awhile.

I had mission continuity issues.
When I started act 3 and got to the town, I did a few missions and then started the one to go into the sewers and get the water back, that led right into the food supply mission that seemed to blend right into the police station mission-station gets wiped out. Basically in 30min the game jumped from act 3 to act 7...story made no sense, went back to the church to have them talk about how the police station people need to be taken care of....wtf.

It is actually city hall that you visit after the sewers. The police station is the place that has been taken over by criminals that you might have heard about in some radio transmissions earlier in that act.

I packaged a bunch of dead island fixes together for anyone who doesn't want to modify anything.
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=2T3U2UNM

Extract "data" folder to My Documents\DeadIsland\out. FOV is fixed, haze/bloom/motion blur are disabled, and opening videos don't play.

Random weapon drops are almost always orange, so just delete default.loot after extraction if you don't want that.

Last edited:
damn it, just lost a modified weapon. probably the worst thing about the game is how it "helps" you with the weapon slots. grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

I remember reading somewhere (here or on Steam forum) about disabling HBAO, anyone know how to do that?

I packaged a bunch of dead island fixes together for anyone who doesn't want to modify anything.

Extract "data" folder to My Documents\DeadIsland\out. FOV is fixed, haze/bloom/motion blur are disabled, and opening videos don't play.

Random weapon drops are almost always orange, so just delete default.loot after extraction if you don't want that.

Thanks Fatty Pants! All the Hex editing/archiving/modifying was ridiculous for an FOV fix, the hex editor I grabbed wasn't finding the right strings, dunno, never used one before, finally gave up. The instructions on the web aren't exactly clear, wasn't sure where to insert the FOV line in the defaultlevels.xml.

Also liking the Post Processing fix, not so hazy anymore, but I ditched the camera blur and loot drop files. Bumped up your FOV setting from 70 to 82.5, both look way better. Not sure what people were talking about when they said the characters looked comically bad when FOV was increased, they look fine to me.

Anyone up for some coop play?? Working at level 6 right now and just got tired of hearing randoms talk about asinine shit.

thanks!

Not sure what just happened, but I'm gonna puke.

I joined a buddy on his coop game who is earlier on in the game. It was fun for an hour, but I wanted to get back to my game.

So I ended his and went back to my game. WHAT HAPPENED?

I now am at a lower level, no weapons other than what I had on the CO OP with my buddy.

Why did everything go away? And, is there anyway for me to retrieve what I had in the files somewhere? Oh god this sux.

OMG I am such a a tard.... I've been complaining about the weapon system and totally didn't realize there was the 'quick inventory' thing. Wasn't even bound to a key...wow that made life soo much easier and the game some what more fun.

Well, I am pretty fed up with the game. Bought it for the co-op, but I can't co-op past level one. My main character cannot progress with the game any further than about 25% in. Quests got out of order somehow. To top it off, all of my characters "matchmaking" screens try to put me in Chapter 1 games. It will say "Chapter 5" or whatever initially, then flash back to Chapter 1. Even at $30 bucks, I am pretty disappointed.

Heh

CAE0F91BB5353DED43233C8434194AAE410D9C47

he talks good for having a machette in his neck.

It's just a flesh wound.

In Soviet Russia your neck is in the machete.

Haven't we all slipped when shaving? haha

He ain't got time to bleed!

^^^ROFL!!! :D

The save system in this game is utterly infuriating. Why the hell would a game drop me back 4 hubs to the city warehouse just because I need to quit (I was at the start of the sewers post-supermarket).

WTB intelligible save system. I might actually be done w/ the game because of this ridiculous shit.

The save system in this game is utterly infuriating. Why the hell would a game drop me back 4 hubs to the city warehouse just because I need to quit (I was at the start of the sewers post-supermarket).

WTB intelligible save system. I might actually be done w/ the game because of this ridiculous shit.

This is my major complaint so far. I assumed it saved after I delivered all that juice the lifeguard, quit the game, load it up and I'm standing in the middle of the road surround be two infected and several walkers. Didn't even have the truck I should have been in.. I got killed several times before I just kicked them and then hoofed it to the light house.

Not going to be done with the game because of it, but I 100% agree. A bunch of people were like "oh it's no biggie, it saves all the time"...No, it doesn't, and it's a big biggie. A BIG BIGGIE.

They could even just patch it to save after every quest item completion, as well as being able to force a save when you get to a workbench. That would make me happy, because right now it seems utterly fucking random whether or not it will save. Like when I was doing that necklace quest, I got the necklace, the quest updated, but I ended up quitting the game before I returned it, and when I got back in I hadn't even picked it up. Stuff like that is infuriating and should not happen. Once you get a quest item it should save immediately.

Are you guys with save issues playing single player only or are you playing co-op (to include allowing other people to join your solo game)?

Are you guys with save issues playing single player only or are you playing co-op (to include allowing other people to join your solo game)?

I played co-op once, through the first mission. My save issue came into play my second time playing the game and I had only done single player.

Man, what is up with the losing thrown weapons bullshit?

I had an orange Nail'd Stick that I use most of the time, and I always tried to avoid throwing it. The ONE time I accidentally threw it and, low and behold, it vanished into the ground. :mad:

I quit right there so hopefully it did not save, but they really need to patch this shit up, BADLY.

Man, I don't know whether I should be grateful that the game has actually been fairly solid for me without any of those issues, or paranoid because I'm sure they'll happen to me at some point.

I mentioned this above. Both seemed to be f'ed up. I was pretty far in single, moved over to try Co op. Got on a buddies campaign. He was leveled up with the weapons he had at that point. I had nothing.

When I went back to my singleplayer, all my weapons were gone. My level went down about 10, and skills reset to nothing.

Not sure if I want to go through this again. I had things taken care of. So pissed right now.

Back