Dead Island - Best Open World Zombie Game Ever?

I'm really out of tune with pop culture usually, so what actually caused this spike in interest with zombies and vampires in entertainment the last few years?

I feel like Techland put all of it its good developers on this game because Call of Juarez: The Cartel sucks.

I'm really out of tune with pop culture usually, so what actually caused this spike in interest with zombies and vampires in entertainment the last few years?

Hard to say,I think L4D renewed the craze in gaming. With movies,I think remakes of the Living Dead movies as well as Romero making new movies in the series kept it going. Even comic books are getting into it,with The Walking Dead,Marvel Zombies,and DC's Blackest Night series.

if you have not played left 4 dead, then you should. the original was so great it was responsible for a lot of the surge in popularity.

The thing I didn't like about L4D is that I might be rooted into the idea of slow tough bags of meat type zombies (for the lack of a better description). Also would have preferred a more deliberate paced survival type experience, versus what seemed more like run and gun.

I was curious if there was maybe 1 real big hit movie or game that caused this resurgence, which I couldn't think.

The thing I didn't like about L4D is that I might be rooted into the idea of slow tough bags of meat type zombies (for the lack of a better description). Also would have preferred a more deliberate paced survival type experience, versus what seemed more like run and gun.

QFT on both statements.

I cant stand "running zombies" or run-and-gun in zombie games. For me, having grown up with Night of the Living Dead, Dawn and Day of the Dead, and other more obscure cult titles, I've a love for the zombie genre.

Any game based on the zombie genre, should be a darker, more atmospheric and tougher experience; more "realistic" and, as you've said, deliberately paced experience.

I was curious if there was maybe 1 real big hit movie or game that caused this resurgence, which I couldn't think.

Nah, there's no one movie or game. Zombies have been a cultural phenomenon since Romero's "Night of the Living Dead", as people just love the "mythos", the unknown of such a scenario, the horror and atmosphere of it, which has slowly grown over the years with from my (older) generation, passed down to a newer generation (younger) of people, who are finally old enough to watch the movies and play the games, which is why I think we're seeing such a resurgence of the zombie genre.

The tech is now available, so now that a whole new generation of people have really found and gotten into the zombie genre, more games are being made in the genre with the availablity of the technology to make it happen.

To me, though, it's not that it's just getting saturated, it's that it's being saturated with garbage. If devs would start releasing higher quality games and stopped with the whole "running zombie" thing, I'd be quite pleased.

I guess the fads go in and out like the tide.

Personally I never get sick of zombies , they are just endlessly fun to kill.

Vampires on the other hand I'm fucking tired of them. One of the best things about Zombies is that you can't make some gay teenage romance drama around them since they are rotting human corpses with no ability to speak or give a shit about anything but cannibalism.

QFT. Alright, I like this guy. ;)

Vampires on the other hand I'm fucking tired of them. One of the best things about Zombies is that you can't make some gay teenage romance drama around them since they are rotting human corpses with no ability to speak or give a shit about anything but cannibalism.

Ha ha! Alright, now I really like this guy! :D

QFT, & I think I'm going to have to start using a sig with that last sentence, ha ha!

Christ, the whole vampire thing (and I cant stand fucking vampires in the first place; remind me too much of humans, draining the life from people) is out of control... and people thing zombies are "over-done"... hell no, we just need someone to do it right!

well, actually, there are two movies that sort of reignited the whole zombie craze. 28 days later (not technically zombies) and dawn of the dead remake.

With that information and some brief research, it seems that they also ushered in the fast zombie.

As to Dead Island, from what I can tell the game has a mix of fast and slow?

QFT on both statements.

I cant stand "running zombies" or run-and-gun in zombie games. For me, having grown up with Night of the Living Dead, Dawn and Day of the Dead, and other more obscure cult titles, I've a love for the zombie genre.

You know L4D doesn't have zombies. They are infected, like the rage virus in 28 Days Laters. They don't even eat flesh. :p

I was going to point out that the new rage isn't zombies... it's fast moving infected. You guys beat me to it!

Anyways, I'm looking forward to this. I just hope it has a decent single player campaign and is NOT simply a L4D clone with the multiplayer.

Last edited:

++1

+++!

I have yet to get sick of zombies too!

EDIT: I'm fairly certain I had a zombie themed deck in Magic: The Gathering too... lol

You know L4D doesn't have zombies. They are infected, like the rage virus in 28 Days Laters. They don't even eat flesh. :p

A very important distinction. I don't see how anyone would mistake L4D or 28 days later to be in even the slightest sense zombie related. In fact, I would go as far as to say that it's such a unique new perspective, the lives we have lived up to this point could be considered fake.

Use - 20SUM-MERSA-VINGS for 20% off instead (assuming you haven't used it, or want to use it for something else).

Games are about gameplay.. If you want amazing computer gfx.. Go watch some CGI in movies.
You could also say that eating is about ingesting nutrients and if you want pleasant aromas, you should go sniff some flowers. But why not have both?

Just like a beautifully plated meal in a restaurant filled with pleasant food aromas, presentation counts. A game with bad graphics is like having a delicious meal dumped into a pile on your table. With a little extra effort, they could make it look nice and add a lot to the experience.

I hope you can turn off the name, and level of the enemies...looks pretty good otherwise.

yeah...think I'm going to bite

Mr. KQGaming2's vids helped me out quite a bit. The Ripper looks pretty cool on the Steam pre-order, but think I'll just save $17 and go GMG

I'm gonna have to wait and see how this one turns out before pulling the trigger. After watching some videos, I can't help but feel this game would've been better off with the third-person camera angle.

I'm gonna have to wait and see how this one turns out before pulling the trigger. After watching some videos, I can't help but feel this game would've been better off with the third-person camera angle.

QFT however I wish when they do 3rd person, they would allow us to adjust the angle. I can't stand the 3rd person side view.

Quick question, if I preordered this via GMG will they send me a game code to activate on Steam before release so I can preload it?

Never ordered from GMG before this, so not exactly sure how it works.

Never mind, just got the email from GMG and installing with Steam now. For less than $34, not a bad deal... I'm really looking forward to this one :)

Question: Until a few weeks ago I'd honestly never heard of GMG. Now all of a sudden I see them mentioned all over the place. What's the story on them? I looked them over but it just seems like it all came out of nowhere.

That code is expired now.

I'm surprised no one mentioned this yet, but Steam is now preloading the game.

nope...

code works fine for me

p1vK5.jpg

Question: Until a few weeks ago I'd honestly never heard of GMG. Now all of a sudden I see them mentioned all over the place. What's the story on them? I looked them over but it just seems like it all came out of nowhere.

They are a UK based company selling Steam activation codes for games. I was a bit wary too but after signing up via a referral link and using one of a few coupon codes freely available I was able to pre purchase Dead Island for $34 and I also now have $5 credit towards my next purchase with them. They just emailed me my Steam activation code today and it worked with no problems, Dead Island is now in my Steam library permanently and I have pre-loaded the game.

They are a UK based company selling Steam activation codes for games. I was a bit wary too but after signing up via a referral link and using one of a few coupon codes freely available I was able to pre purchase Dead Island for $34 and I also now have $5 credit towards my next purchase with them. They just emailed my my Steam activation code today and it worked with no problems, Dead Island is now in my Steam library permanently and I have pre-loaded the game.

Cool.

I wasn't trying to insinuate anything negative about them.

I just felt like I'd never seen anyone ever mention them and then suddenly like a few weeks ago they're hot and I see them mentioned all the time.

Cool.

I wasn't trying to insinuate anything negative about them.

I just felt like I'd never seen anyone ever mention them and then suddenly like a few weeks ago they're hot and I see them mentioned all the time.

Yeah I was skeptical too, in fact I waited to hear positive feedback from those who preordered Deus Ex through them before I took any chances.

Back