Dead Ipad

deekayex

Limp Gawd
My first generation 16 GB Wifi Ipad somehow died sometime between Saturday and Sunday mornings. I have tried recharging it with different cables and different chargers. No combination of pressing the home & reset buttons will turn the thing on. It is not recognized when connected to my PC via USB cable. I'm pretty sure it suffered a critical internal injury as the exterior is in like-new condition.

I purchased it in April 2010, so it is out of warranty. Apple states that the out-of-warranty repair fee for an Ipad is $269. The value of a working Ipad is about $300, so repair is not really a viable option. I looked on Ebay and see that these devices sell for $80 - $100 for parts, but I am reluctant to take this path due to my private information being on this device. Any suggestions?

As much as I love Apple Products it kills me how quickly a $499 item can bite the dust.

Are you near an Apple store? I've actually had decent results with them even with products out of warranty ESPECIALLY if it is a manufacturing defect vs. damage.

Also, are you running iOS 5? My iPad 2 running iOS 5 (yes, it is tied to a dev account) will sometimes look like it dies and generally if I hold down the HOME+POWER buttons for an extended amount of time (usually 15-30 seconds) it comes back to life.

How about trying to put it in DFU mode? It isn't easy, there are videos out there on how to do this. Check out the pins on the dock connector, they look clean and straight?

Did you actually check warranty status on their site?

I would still take it in to an apple store anyway, they have some crazy stories of doing some really awesome customer service things. Make an appointment. Also they have some tools they can try to get it back. If it is still dead you are out nothing anyway.

I held the home + power buttons for a minute with no result. I tried to get it into DFU mode but that doesn't work either. I checked the warranty status by looking up my serial # -- it's not eligible for anything since more than 1 year has passed. I guess I will try the genius bar.

The squeaky wheel gets the lube. If you complain enough you can probably get it fixed for free. Just put some whiney story about your ipad up on consumerist.org

I made an appointment at a nearby Apple Store for this afternoon. Will let you know how it turns out.

They were unable to get the thing to turn on, so I got a new 1st generation iPad free of charge. :D

Apple is known to do this but I'm surprised as well. Good job!

Grats. Apple is usually decent regarding out of warranty items. You got the best case, I think worst case would have been they told you what was wrong with it.

At which point you can order parts off the internet and fix....

Apple tend to be one of the most generous companies I've ever dealt with when it comes to out-of-warranty repairs and replacements (especially when it comes to halo products like the iPad). Congrats on getting a replacement iPad! :D

well, that's also because apple can fix that ipad and resell it in their outlet store or to its partners as a refurbished ipad... still, good deal!

I'm not surprised at all they replaced it. At no point should a device die within 12-18 months due to manufacturer defect. If his iPad didn't show any signs of damage and it was something internally that died I think the least Apple can do is fix or replace it on their dime.

Also - this is why I own so many Apple products in and out of warranty because they do stand behind their products unless its something ancient or damage the user caused.

Apple is known to do this but I'm surprised as well. Good job!

Yhis varries wildly. I took in a iPhone 3G (not GS) that wouldnt boot (ironicallt it would still jailbreak but afterwards I'd get the apple logo for 30 sec or so and it would pwoer off) and the genious bar rep told me I was SOL (he acctually told me to sell it for parts on eBay and put the money towards and iPhone 4) But at the same time, I also took in a CD (not C2D) Macbook (not pro) and they did some $300-$400 worth of repairs for FREE so...

Yeah it varies a lot with Apple. My uncle had a MBP that the OS was all messed up on after an Apple update and the drive happened to die. They wanted like $500 to reload it and not even save any of his files. $50 latter I had a new drive in the thing and reloaded it with his system restore disks, while also retaining what I could from the old drive.

great deal OP. As much as I hate dealing with the apple store at times, they're deffinitly a great company to deal with. I've known a lot of people that have had an apple product break or die, only to be replaced for free (even out of warrenty). I don't know many other companies (especially as large as apple) that would do that.

Yeah it varies a lot with Apple. My uncle had a MBP that the OS was all messed up on after an Apple update and the drive happened to die. They wanted like $500 to reload it and not even save any of his files. $50 latter I had a new drive in the thing and reloaded it with his system restore disks, while also retaining what I could from the old drive.

And how many hours did you work on it?

Back