Dead Intel DH67CL Motherboard after attempted RAM upgrade ?

ClockerXP

Gawd
Howdy all-
I bought an Intel DH67CL Socket 1155 motherboard new 7-8 years ago and put it into a system I built for my brother-in-law with a G620 CPU and 2x2=4GB of RAM. When his hard drives started to kick the bucket, I gave him my old FX8320 16GB RAM system I was using as a Plex server . Threw a couple of old 120GB SSDs I had in there for him and he was good to go.

With the old Intel Board, I decided to throw some used SSDs in there and upgrade the CPU from the G620 to an i5-3570 (non-K) (keck, only $30 shipped). Plan was to give it to another family member. It was running great but it was a little weak with just the 4GB of RAM. With the original 4GB memory installed, I was running Prime95 the night before, to set the TIM on the CPU, and it was fine. Afterward, I let it run idle over night. The next day, I swapped in a 16GB Micron kit (2x8GB) and after putting the new RAM in, the system would not POST. Just 3 beeps, a pause, and then 3 beeps which keeps repeating. I tested the RAM in another board, and it is fine.

Normally the 3 beeps means bad RAM but no amount of swapping slots or going back to the old RAM made a difference. I even put the old G620 CPU back in to test and it didn't make a difference. I blew out the RAM slots with air as well.

So, I'm left thinking there's something wrong with the board. Maybe I over-stressed the aging relic with the Prime95 test the night before? The PSU is a Seasonic 300W unit (newer).

I reset the BIOS a could times with no change. Pulled out the CMOS battery last night and removed all power as well....was going to give it another try later today some time.

If any of you have any suggestions for bringing it back to life, let me know!

Last edited:
Bench test it with minimum config.
Minimum Config
PSU/Monitor/PS2 keyboard/Mouse (Use a different PSU if you have one and anything else that is different you have available)
Install
CPU
One stick Mem
No GPU (connect to Mobo DVI or VGA output which ever works best for your monitor)
leave battery out and no power over night and make sure you have cleared cmos correctly by setting bios jumper to (2-3)(Configure) and booting the system. Make sure after you switch back the jumper to (1-2)(Normal) and go into bios and set optimized default save and exit before continuing. See image below for more detail
GL
Iy2UmS.jpg

See if something is shorting it? I had this happen once, I just took everything out of the chassis and put it right back in.

See if something is shorting it? I had this happen once, I just took everything out of the chassis and put it right back in.
That is why I suggested bench test because this gets it out of the case and gets everything removed to start over. The minimum config lets you add one device back at a time to isolate the source of the trouble.

Thanks guys. Tried your suggestions but to no avail.

Got a new (used) board (same make/model) and that fixed it. Luckily, didn't need to reactivate Win10, either.

Back