dead gtx 470 after bad flash?

Tsumi

[H]F Junkie
Well, I was in the middle of flashing my GTX 470 when my computer froze for whatever reason. Now, when I start up the computer with it, the screen is completely blank, but the computer still seems to run. When I put in a second graphics card, or use the IGP in a different computer, nvflash says that it doesn't detect any nVidia cards. The card seems to be working (fan spins up). Any idea what I can do? Windows does not detect the 470 in system devices either.

The bios I was flashing is the original bios that was pulled off of the card. My system specs are in my signature below.

I was actually flashing from DOS (based on Windows 98 build). Nvflash in both windows and DOS gives me the same error: No nVidia graphics cards detected.

Yes, but did you use the right commands in nvflash?

Also fully powering down and unplugging the PSU might help. I had that issue once prior to flashing then I unplugged the whole system and nvflash seen the cards.

I am pretty sure I used the right commands, I have flashed this card at least 5-10 times, since it seems to have boot issues if I don't flash prior to booting after powering down. And I always used the original bios when flashing (I tried using the overvoltage bios, but figured out after a while that it didn't affect anything, so I switched back to the original bios for at least 2 weeks).

I'll try unplugging the PSU, I don't think I have tried that yet.

I am pretty sure I used the right commands, I have flashed this card at least 5-10 times, since it seems to have boot issues if I don't flash prior to booting after powering down. And I always used the original bios when flashing (I tried using the overvoltage bios, but figured out after a while that it didn't affect anything, so I switched back to the original bios for at least 2 weeks).

I'll try unplugging the PSU, I don't think I have tried that yet.

5-10 times?! Flashing a video card should be a rare occurrence at best. There is always an element of risk when flashing a bios, video or mobo. The ATI 69xx series with dual bios switch would help if your that flash happy, but not sure what you can do with the bad flash on this card. And to second what AdvanSuper said... why havn't you RMA'd this card to begin with?

Cause I bought it off of craigslist for a really cheap price.

Ah so a case of you get what you pay for. I assume they won't help with a warranty either?

Yeah... the guy is currently deployed overseas, so he can't really do anything to help me.

That's what I'm in the process of doing, but I'm a bit confused as to who to contact. I contacted on the support page the RMA head, and he responded once, but hasn't gotten back to me (this was Thursday). Apparently he's the head in the Europe division. Any idea who I should contact?

Tried it yesterday, I think I'll try forum next.

Edit: Oh, and I didn't think it was entirely the card either. I had to reflash the graphics card bios and the motherboard bios at the same time in order for it to work. Just reflashing the card didn't make it work, neither did just reflashing the motherboard. Because of this, I thought it was just some graphics card/motherboard incompatibility bug.

Last edited:
Why are you flashing so many BIOS files bro? BIOS flashing is the absolute last thing you try when troubleshooting......I understand you were flashing the card trying to tweak it.....OK....but typically when you lose power during a flash its bad.....

Why are you flashing so many BIOS files bro? BIOS flashing is the absolute last thing you try when troubleshooting......I understand you were flashing the card trying to tweak it.....OK....but typically when you lose power during a flash its bad.....

Well.. it's the same bios file over and over (the original bios file). For some really odd reason which I don't know, my computer refuses to fully boot unless I flash the bios of both the 470 and the motherboard prior to booting. Once it fully boots, I can run anything without problems for days on end, and I can overclock the graphics card without problems too. It basically freezes and reboots every time I'm about to log in (I've tried disabling and uninstalling the HD Audio driver). Fresh install of drivers made no difference.

You got major issues, power supply or motherboard maybe...or both...but you got mad issues if you have to boot into flashing the BIOS on both the motherboard and video card just to boot successfully. You need to get to the bottom of this because you're going to end up with a dead mono and video card, that's crazy.

Yeah, well... halfway there, lol. Definitely not power supply, cause it powered an SLI GTX 275 + Phenom II 1090T system for half a year without issues. Not too worried about the motherboard cause it has the dual-bios feature. It only happens with the 470 for whatever reason, it never happened with the 275 and 460.

eVGA isn't going to help. They squeak out of honoring any warranty that they can, and in your case it is a second hand card with a non-transferable warranty (which honestly that non-transferring term is compete garbage if you ask me...).

I wonder why the guy was selling it so cheap on Craig's List.

Well, I knew it had issues, the guy was upfront about it, and said he would refund my money if it didn't work. Well, I got it working (with a few little quirks), so I thought things would be fine. Apparently not.

eVGA isn't going to help. They squeak out of honoring any warranty that they can, and in your case it is a second hand card with a non-transferable warranty (which honestly that non-transferring term is compete garbage if you ask me...).

That's another thing everyone else goes by serial, so why can't they do the same thing? Sure some people are nice enough to help out with an RMA, but it's bullshit that you have to go through that person and inconvenience them. What are they so worried about that it's non-transferable? I'm going to run into someones house and steal their GPU?

Back