[DEAD FOR NOW] Canon Powershot SX520 HS (Refurb) $90! (+S&H)

Status
Not open for further replies.

NoxTek

The Geek Redneck
It's BAAAAAAACK!!!

My other post got moved to discussions and I had no way to move it back, so my only solution was to create a new thread since the deal is back!

Canon PowerShot SX520 HS Refurbished | Canon Online Store

Canon Powershot SX520 HS 16MP Factory Refurbished straight from Canon for $89.99 plus shipping!
Shipping is free it you spend $100 or more so maybe buy two? They make great gifts!

Note that the deal doesn't include a 4GB card or the crappy case this time, but that's not a big deal to most people.

Every single refurb I've ever bought from Canon's online store has been just like brand new.

This is a heck of a deal on a bridge camera with an ultra long 42x zoom. Records 1080p video with stereo sound (the camera has real seperate stereo mics). Also has a 24mm wide angle which makes it great for Youtube stuff, vlogs, and everyday video recording. This uses Canon's backlit HS CMOS sensor and makes for some nice image quality even in low light situations - it's no DSLR, mind you, but still nice for the money. It's perfect to take on vacation or family events...

Example of nifty superzoom:

Last edited:
Shipping isn't free this time however. Add on $12 for shipping.

Didn't notice that, however I believe if you go over $100 shipping is free.... so maybe find a $10 filler item and you'll end up saving $2 versus paying for shipping anyway.

Thanks! I bit for the SX520. My daughter's graduation is next month, so this will do great! I've always loved the Canon Powershot cameras.

Bought the SX520 last round and have really enjoyed it. Interested in getting the ELPH for a good pocket friendly camera to have. Thanks for the links Nox.

Got this Case Logic Case to go with it and it fits everything nice and snug for only ~$10.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I have the Case Logic Case for my SX520 and it's perfect.
I recommend looking through the previous deal in "Discussions" area to see all the advice and tips people gave for using the camera.

Bought the SX520 last round and have really enjoyed it. Interested in getting the ELPH for a good pocket friendly camera to have. Thanks for the links Nox.

I can't speak for the Elph that's on sale, but I have the older 5x zoom 110 HS and it's been my absolute favorite pocket and Youtube camera for the last four years. Super wide viewing angle makes it fantastic for video and for Youtube in particular. It's also been absolutely stellar in low light, in fact it actually performs better in low light than the SX520 HS!

So now I have the 520 HS along with my old Elph 110 HS. Both have their uses for me and I love them both for their strengths.

Was hoping the SX50 HS was on sale again.

* Edit - bleh, I bit. Thanks.

Last edited:
I was wondering if this camera can live stream video to a larger screen via HDMI. I see it has HDMI connection but I haven't been able to find a definitive answer if it can display the image in real time on a larger screen while recording as well. The high zoom potentially could be useful for me to record micro soldering work.

I am 90% sure it can, if it's like any of the previous cameras it basically mirrors whatever is being displayed on the LCD whether it's in playback or record / live view mode.

I was wondering if this camera can live stream video to a larger screen via HDMI. I see it has HDMI connection but I haven't been able to find a definitive answer if it can display the image in real time on a larger screen while recording as well. The high zoom potentially could be useful for me to record micro soldering work.
I can try it with my camera Tuesday or Wednesday if I have time and let you know.

I bit this time. I added an Elph 510 HS for $39.99 to get over the free shipping amount. It is in a status of inventory fulfilled, but the Elph 510 shows out of stock when I click details. Hope it goes through fine.

Wow, this is tempting to get, but I have a feeling I don't really need it. Anyone know if it will work with HDMI output while charging, to use as a static camera for longish recording/streaming?

Exists a charity soul that can buy one unity for me? Of course that I´ll send the money before to make the order.

Thankssss.

Wow, this is tempting to get, but I have a feeling I don't really need it. Anyone know if it will work with HDMI output while charging, to use as a static camera for longish recording/streaming?
The charger that comes with it requires you to take the battery out of the camera to charge it, so I don't think that will work. There are larger capacity batteries available, though.

I also got one last time around, and love it as a still camera. I have been thoroughly unimpressed with video recording; seems very noisy/grainy. Would buy it again in a heartbeat.

I also got one last time around, and love it as a still camera. I have been thoroughly unimpressed with video recording; seems very noisy/grainy. Would buy it again in a heartbeat.

That pretty much echoes my thoughts. As a still camera with 42x glass it's hard to beat for the price, you can get some really impressive shots with not a lot of work. Video quality CAN leave something to be desired in low light situations, in fact my older tiny Elph 110 HS takes much better video all around.... but without that super long zoom. I'd say the long zoom makes up for the sometimes grainy video. I do like the stereo mic on the SX 520 HS, it's got very good separation and isn't muffled like some other camera mics.

Last edited:
I sold mine as it was for my wife primarily for indoor pictures which the 520 is not well suited for and larger than she liked. If you are taking pictures outdoors you will be impressed.

Looking at the G9x as I might as well buy something she will use as it looks to rock the low light box and smaller size.

I sold mine as it was for my wife primarily for indoor pictures which the 520 is not well suited for and larger than she liked. If you are taking pictures outdoors you will be impressed.

Looking at the G9x as I might as well buy something she will use as it looks to rock the low light box and smaller size.

Not bad for a point and shoot, that moon video is pretty impressive for such an inexpensive camera. Looks like it would be great for outdoors with lots of light.

I bit. I looked through the other thread and saw some links to some guides etc, pretty decent stuff...

Does anyone have any tips/links to guides on taking macro shots? I bit because my current point and shoot and phone take lousy macro shots. Im trying to take shots of shrimp I have (opae ula) but they are difficult because they are always darting around and are maybe 1cm long at most.

Thanks.

Not bad for a point and shoot, that moon video is pretty impressive for such an inexpensive camera. Looks like it would be great for outdoors with lots of light.

I have the SX 530 (hardly any difference) and this camera is great for outdoor shots. I've taken shots of hummingbirds about 75ft away where you can practically count the feathers on them. I also took shots of an air show happening a couple miles from my house and the photos, though a little grainy, look like I was on the air strip. It's really a great camera for shots like that.

I bit. I looked through the other thread and saw some links to some guides etc, pretty decent stuff...

Does anyone have any tips/links to guides on taking macro shots? I bit because my current point and shoot and phone take lousy macro shots. Im trying to take shots of shrimp I have (opae ula) but they are difficult because they are always darting around and are maybe 1cm long at most.

Thanks.

The SX520 HS has excellent macro capability, that's actually one of it's strong suits. As for catching fast moving subjects? Well that's going to involve some work in manual mode raising the ISO and lowering the exposure. You'll have to find a happy balance between having high enough ISO and low enough exposure to catch them mid-motion, yet still have an acceptable picture that isn't too grainy and isn't too sharp. If you've got good lighting in your tank it shouldn't be too difficult...

The trick to photographing fish is to compensate for the camera trying to focus on the glass rather than the fish inside the tank.....Hold the button halfway down then move forward the same amount the critter is behind the glass

Thanks OP.

How well does the SX 520 HS photograph flowers?

I bought one for my mom for mother's day. She likes to take pictures of flowers, animals and landscapes. 42x zoom will be really nice to get some close ups of wildlife.

That's a great price. I'm still using my Powershot G 12. Fantastic camera, for me at least.

The trick to photographing fish is to compensate for the camera trying to focus on the glass rather than the fish inside the tank.....Hold the button halfway down then move forward the same amount the critter is behind the glass
A camera with manual focus (such as this one ) can make that easier as well. I had hoped it would have a focus ring around the lens, but apparently that's a dslr thing. I have used the manual focus setting on this camera, and it works, but is not something you'll use if you're in a hurry.

The SX520 HS has excellent macro capability, that's actually one of it's strong suits. As for catching fast moving subjects? Well that's going to involve some work in manual mode raising the ISO and lowering the exposure. You'll have to find a happy balance between having high enough ISO and low enough exposure to catch them mid-motion, yet still have an acceptable picture that isn't too grainy and isn't too sharp. If you've got good lighting in your tank it shouldn't be too difficult...
Awesome, thanks. I will certainly play with it. I have a few different mini tripods so that should help. I did read enough in other articles to moderately understand how exposure works, ISO / shutter speed / aperture. I also saw a youtube video on showing how the sx520 will exhibit "pumping" while in auto focus mode in macro vs not doing it in manual focus. Depending on how active I want to be in shooting the shrimp, I might still stay with a lower ISO as they tend to have the behavior of "dart... rest for 1 sec. dart... rest for 1 sec etc etc"

I guess I will just have to experiment.

Very excited to play with a new toy :)

A camera with manual focus (such as this one ) can make that easier as well. I had hoped it would have a focus ring around the lens, but apparently that's a dslr thing. I have used the manual focus setting on this camera, and it works, but is not something you'll use if you're in a hurry.
Thanks for the info/tips. If I get any good pics after the camera arrives I will post them here.

Got one the last time and I find it is worth every penny then some! Awesome camera for the money.

I haven't used it a ton, but when I have its worked flawless and taken some great pictures.

Thanks for posting this. We've been in need of a good camera for family vacations and similar activities.

All gone for now, hope you all jumped on this. Though this was the second occurrence, so perhaps it re-ups again?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back