Dead DVD Drive?

W.Feather

[H]ard DCOTM x4 & [H]DCOTY x1
Last night i did a clean install on my PC(got a new PSU so figured what the heck)....anyhow, to day i get home, throw image burn on, and then a dual layer disk to burn some files, and now my DVD Drive doesnt recognize anything.....Windows see's it, it just doesnt read anything....

Drive: LG GH22S50
Firmware: T02 ...the latest on LG's site

edit: i have removed the drive(unplugged it), and unistalled within windows....then replugged in and let windows install it again......no difference.......

if ive gotta do a freash install(because something is messing up my drive), cool, i can get that going tonight(given that it reads it...)

I have had this happen dozens of times at work. Now when the darn things cost $25 to $30 shipped I don't bother investigating..

[EDIT]I guess not dozens of times, more like 10 times in 13 years on over 100 machines.. I am tired ..[/EDIT]

John

I just bought the drive end of December....paid a bit extra to get it instore....so i'd rather not buy another one(considereing i jsut bought a PSU that wasnt planned for).....anyone else have an idea of what might be causing this??

Have you tried a bootable CD and booting from the drive first? Might eliminate if the drive is bad.

Have you tried a bootable CD and booting from the drive first? Might eliminate if the drive is bad.

yes

tried an Ubuntu ST x64 disc

no good, however i get a command line like screen for ~10 seconds, as if its trying to boot....but then windows comes up......yes the drive is 1st in boot device priority

hmm, honestly didnt even think of the cable(ironically my friend has a bad DVD drive, for which i thought of the cable being bad....just last week).....ill have to give it a go tonight, shame to have to undo a bit of wiremanagement if that turns out to be the issue LOL, atleast i kept ties on seperate things for this exact reason...

Is the drive being detected by the BIOS? If so, I agree, try a different bootable CD, like memtest, after you try another cable.

Is the drive being detected by the BIOS? If so, I agree, try a different bootable CD, like memtest, after you try another cable.

BIOS sees it, and within the windows environment i can eject it(through windows).....i will be tryin ga different cable tonight probably.....

worst case i guess i send it to LG(cheap old me lol) and get a replacement....

ill be burning a new GParted disc later on a different machine.....only issue is i can only use DVD's for burning, as im out of CDs lol

hmm....ran into a weird problem....my drive can read CDs, but willnot read DVDs(this is with same SATA cable, and a different port....ill be trying another cable in a min or so here.

any ideas why my DVD drive only reads/writes CDs, and wont even recognize a DVD?????

i'm going to jump on tech support chat with LG in a little bit, just curious if anyone has an idea before I jump on

are they seperate lasers?(i have no idea)

the drive isnt even 3 months old.....and has never had much movement(off file cabnent then back.....)

RMA time.

precisly what LG said :).....guy I talked with was very helpful....he had a fix(didnt work) something with deleting a filter in the reg files for the drive......then unistalling drive and restarting windows.....didnt work, got back into chat(luckily with same guy), and he said ill have to RMA......im very surprised with LGs RMA policy....they send me the Pre-Paid FEDEX shipping slips, and have two options....either advanced replacment(give creditcard info so if i dont give back my drive i end up paying for another), or i send it in an 7-10 days later I get a shiney fixed drive......never had that experience(the prepaid shipping for sure)

needless to say im surprised their RMA is relativly quick turnaround, and free shipping.....will be sending it in a few days(dies as i get a crudload of movies and more HDD space to back em up to LOL)......thanks for the help guys, ill let ya know what happens when its done....still curious why it died after only 3 months or so of use(bought end of Dec)

unfortunately, not everything works as spec'd/designed/built as intended. it happens, and thats what warranties are for. ;)

unfortunately, not everything works as spec'd/designed/built as intended. it happens, and thats what warranties are for. ;)

thank god fo them....theres always the bad one in the batch(somehow ive never had a DOA or had to return anything till now...atleast it wasnt a vid card, knock on wood)

A failing drive being able to read CDs and not DVDs makes sense, a CD has wider tracks and is inherently easier to read. Weak laser or failing detector. Maybe an internal power problem. In any case, it's broken. Good to know LG is so good about RMA. Thanks for sharing your experience.

Dustin

ill let you know about the experience when i know it goes well :)

i'd send it for RMA(i want to do advanced, so i have less downtime with no drive), but i may have to leave town in the next 5-6 days....roughly the time period i will need to send my current one once a new one arrives....lol

i had this happen to a DVD burner a few months ago, it started having trouble burning a disk every once in a while, and it took longer and longer to spin-up or read. turns out a motor that controlled the laser head position was on the way out. mine got gradually worse over time, though it certainly could have just outright failed just as easily.

well, ive detemined that it was the laser.....i have yet to send for RMA(ive got time, and not much need ATM since I have since obtained a LG Super Multi Blue drive....), ill update whenever I get an RMA back :p

Bit of an update, sent it in on the 23rd of June, called today to check on it(apparently you have to call to get info on it), and a new unit is being shipped out today. Guess something really was faulty :p

Back