Dead bfg 6800gt in less than a week!!!

rufio

[H]ard|Gawd
Came home today after a long day of work, went to turn the computer on and nothing. I traced the problem back to my new 6800gt card, Seems that if any power is plugged into the card, no matter the power supply, or if the card is actually in the AGP slot, the computer wont boot.

Rma is on the way, unless i can find a best buy that has it in stock in the next few days.

What the hell, how can a card die that quickly?

Have you tried plugging a different molex (also not connected to anything else) into the card? Could be a burned out ps lead..

Well seeing as i have done that on multiple power supplies i dont think so.

yes, and actually when i tested it last there was smoke. i can see that there are char marks around some of the capacitors and it smells of burnt plastic/resin. Im sending it out tomorrow for an RMA. I hope BFG gives me a new card and not the same one 'fixed'. I dont have real faith in this thing being great again.

yeah man, id be able to return it to the store but they dont have any in stock and none on order. looks like i just hope for the best.

My BFG 6800gt died within a week as well. Maybe a bad card? I tried it in different systems as well. The systems would boot, but the screen was black.

BFG tech support is good about getting a new card to you. I received a new card, although 2 weeks later due to low inventory.

I love BFGtech's whole super tech-support approach.. but I'd rather not have to turn to tech support in the first place. Do they make decent cards? I ask because I'm trying to choose between BFG and MSI for a 6800GT- and I don't plan on buying a lower-quality card.

well im shipping out the card in about 20 min so ill leave it as a toss up on getting a new one. I do think that if any of my best buys get some in that i will buy one and just wait for the rma to come in, and then sell which ever card i can, onboard video is NOT doing it for me.

Sanitard said:
I love BFGtech's whole super tech-support approach.. but I'd rather not have to turn to tech support in the first place. Do they make decent cards? I ask because I'm trying to choose between BFG and MSI for a 6800GT- and I don't plan on buying a lower-quality card.

Answer yourself this question;
Would you rather have a card that breaks with good tech support, or a card that breaks with so-so tech support?

sniperchicken said:
Answer yourself this question;
Would you rather have a card that breaks with good tech support, or a card that breaks with so-so tech support?

i would rather not have a card that breaks. unless by breaks you mean break dancing!!!!!

go meatwad!! go meatwad!!! go !!! go!!!

joobjoob said:
i would rather not have a card that breaks. unless by breaks you mean break dancing!!!!!

go meatwad!! go meatwad!!! go !!! go!!!

/me dreams of a perfect world.

I think that i just got a bad card. All companies were trying to get these puppies to retail chains asap and that leads to mistakes, i happened to get one a card with one of those mistakes. From what i have been witness to with BFG i would whole heartedly recommend them over any other company (that is unless i do not get a functional card back from RMA).

odds are that every so often there is gonna be a bad card and you were just unlucky enough to get it but hey that is what lifetime warranties are for

Back