[DEAD] Apex Race Parts SM-10 Wheels - Buy 3, Get 1 Free (Camaro, Corvette, Mustang, Tesla, Lexus)

Armenius

Extremely [H]
Been on the lookout for a sale on these for my Mustang. Debating if I want to go with 18x10 or 19x10 square. 285/40R18 tires are more rare and expensive than 285/35R19. Also deciding if I want Bronze or Anthracite. I'm worried the Bronze would clash with my orange brake calipers.

Hmm...

https://www.apexraceparts.com/store/buy-3-get-1-free.html
1672260143892.png

My car:
1672260204094.png

Doesn't look too bad. Wheels are the same color and the caliper is almost the same color as mine when they're in the light.

1672262871231.png

1672262987624.png

I'm going to be going against the grain when I say this--but I would go with the anthracite as you already have a pop of color coming from the calipers and the red rear reflector. Everything else is really 'blacked out'. If you want to go with the Bronze, I would paint the calipers body color, tint the rear reflector just a hair, and and let the wheels do all the popping. :)

As far as size, it all depends on how bad your roads are. If they're bad, 18 with 40 all the way. If they're smooth as butter, then 19s will be fine. I miss smooth AL roads--I had no idea what type of driving bliss I was around most of my life. And it also explained why in our local scene cars could have 2" of ground clearance and never scrape. Even stock height cars get banged to hell on the Bay Area roads. :mad::mad::mad::mad:

And thank you for posting this thread. I haven't been able to express my love for cars is so long I almost forgot that it still burns within me. :geek:

Even stock height cars get banged to hell on the Bay Area roads. :mad::mad::mad::mad:
Where are you in the Bay Area? I'm in SF and I feel like you need an SUV to drive here. I actually drive a LandCruiser and feel the roads here are beating it to shit.

I'm going to be going against the grain when I say this--but I would go with the anthracite as you already have a pop of color coming from the calipers and the red rear reflector. Everything else is really 'blacked out'. If you want to go with the Bronze, I would paint the calipers body color, tint the rear reflector just a hair, and and let the wheels do all the popping. :)

As far as size, it all depends on how bad your roads are. If they're bad, 18 with 40 all the way. If they're smooth as butter, then 19s will be fine. I miss smooth AL roads--I had no idea what type of driving bliss I was around most of my life. And it also explained why in our local scene cars could have 2" of ground clearance and never scrape. Even stock height cars get banged to hell on the Bay Area roads. :mad::mad::mad::mad:

And thank you for posting this thread. I haven't been able to express my love for cars is so long I almost forgot that it still burns within me. :geek:
Roads are in pretty good condition, I just like the look of the taller sidewall. I'm leaning toward the 19s, though, since I'd be limited to two tire choices with the 18s. A whole bunch of options open up with the 19s.

Where are you in the Bay Area? I'm in SF and I feel like you need an SUV to drive here. I actually drive a LandCruiser and feel the roads here are beating it to shit.
Pacifica, but my office is in Burlingame and we have friends and relatives all over the place--east bay, Menlo Park, San Jose. Every time I drive these roads I'm reminded why I'm NEVER bringing my Porsche here. It's must be because of these roads that the crossdresser crossover category was born because I never understood why one wanted an suv with such car ground clearance but such high body clearance--now I do. I cannot believe people driving the lambos, amg gts, r8s and other cars around here as well as all the clean modded ones--must be throwing hella money at them to keep them in pristine condition. :eek:

Roads are in pretty good condition, I just like the look of the taller sidewall. I'm leaning toward the 19s, though, since I'd be limited to two tire choices with the 18s. A whole bunch of options open up with the 19s.
I'm right there with you. :) Is it because of the 285 width that you can't find 18s? I'm trying to remember but I believe my Boxster uses 285/40r18 on the rear and I had tons of choices with continental and michilin oe but many others available if I didn't want to go with Porsche spec.

I'm right there with you. :) Is it because of the 285 width that you can't find 18s? I'm trying to remember but I believe my Boxster uses 285/40r18 on the rear and I had tons of choices with continental and michilin oe but many others available if I didn't want to go with Porsche spec.
Yes, the 285 width. All I'm seeing is the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S and the outgoing Continental ExtremeContact Sport (it's being superseded by the "Sport 02"). Both are fine tires, but I don't like the idea of spending more than $400 a tire when there are equally good tires in the $250 range for the 19" diameter. 275/40R18 is easier to find, but I feel that isn't much of an improvement over my current 255s. 275 is only 0.2" skinner than 285, though...

There is also the Nitto NT555 G2, but word of mouth is these tires are terrible.

1672338572296.png

1672338477328.png

Yes, the 285 width. All I'm seeing is the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S and the outgoing Continental ExtremeContact Sport (it's being superseded by the "Sport 02"). Both are fine tires, but I don't like the idea of spending more than $400 a tire when there are equally good tires in the $250 range for the 19" diameter. 275/40R18 is easier to find, but I feel that isn't much of an improvement over my current 255s. 275 is only 0.2" skinner than 285, though...

There is also the Nitto NT555 G2, but word of mouth is these tires are terrible.

View attachment 538012

View attachment 538011
Yeah, the Michilins and Contis aren't cheap, and to be honest I wouldn't have gotten them for the Porsche if I go through tires on it like my other cars where it's every 6mos (I am hard on tires :D)

Even in a particular tire size, the contact patch can vary quite a bit. I remember when I needed tires for my Altima and the Firehawk SH30 had over 1" more contact patch than any Bridgestone tire, even though they're both the same parent brand. That was a really sweet tire since the sidewall was cambered outward since the tread patch was wider than the wheel.

As far as 275 vs 255, it depends on how hard you're pushing the 255 atm. If you're squeaking them around corners or burning them up on a launch, and you know the car has more in it, then even at 275 that will be a serious step up. And to be honest, you won't be able to tell the difference between 275 and 285 as much as tire design and manufacturer. Even on my Altimas 205/60r15, the tire manufacturer and air pressure makes more difference than anything.

Yeah, the Michilins and Contis aren't cheap, and to be honest I wouldn't have gotten them for the Porsche if I go through tires on it like my other cars where it's every 6mos (I am hard on tires :D)

Even in a particular tire size, the contact patch can vary quite a bit. I remember when I needed tires for my Altima and the Firehawk SH30 had over 1" more contact patch than any Bridgestone tire, even though they're both the same parent brand. That was a really sweet tire since the sidewall was cambered outward since the tread patch was wider than the wheel.

As far as 275 vs 255, it depends on how hard you're pushing the 255 atm. If you're squeaking them around corners or burning them up on a launch, and you know the car has more in it, then even at 275 that will be a serious step up. And to be honest, you won't be able to tell the difference between 275 and 285 as much as tire design and manufacturer. Even on my Altimas 205/60r15, the tire manufacturer and air pressure makes more difference than anything.
I don't make it out to the track as much anymore. I've yet to take it out since my suspension upgrades. I do like the turning characteristics of the Bridgestone Pole Position S-04 I have now. Stiffening up the rear has revealed that there is a traction issue in hard cornering now that body roll and the IRS slop the 6th gen Mustang is known for is out of the equation. Traction is as much as a concern as aesthetics, though, since it's still my daily driver. Those Bridgestones are unfortunately also discontinued. It was a really sweet tire for the price.

I don't make it out to the track as much anymore. I've yet to take it out since my suspension upgrades. I do like the turning characteristics of the Bridgestone Pole Position S-04 I have now. Stiffening up the rear has revealed that there is a traction issue in hard cornering now that body roll and the IRS slop the 6th gen Mustang is known for is out of the equation. Traction is as much as a concern as aesthetics, though, since it's still my daily driver. Those Bridgestones are unfortunately also discontinued. It was a really sweet tire for the price.
I love the Bridgestone PP series--can't believe you can't get a newer set. I really don't like how tire companies discontinue and keep changing their tires, especially when you've found a good set. It's like a good pair of shoes, but those will last even in storage unlike tires. :(

Yep, stiffening the suspension can bring more it to the tire which then again can find weak points in the suspension. I still remember the days when people would put drag radials on their IRS rear and tear out all the teeth when they dropped full force on a launch and the strip. :( Was a sound that made me sad. :( It's one of the reasons I've left the suspension on my Vette alone since the previous owner had dialed it in well to hit 6.8s in the 1/8 on slicks and nitrous. The soft stock springs and struts would just absorb the launch energy and allow the car to just stick and come out of the hole poised for the nitrous which my friend told me he would hit once at wot and full gripped. It was a simple launch from what he described at 2-3k rpm, finger ready on the switch, let go of the brake (since it's an automatic) and go to wot, feel the grip, hit the button and just hang on. I've never used the nitrous on it or even launched it outside of a couple of times on the street, but I know if I would mess with the suspension it would do worse than blowing away 295s on the interstate at 60 at wot. :eek:

Decided I'm going with the 18s in Anthracite paired with the Contis in 285 width. Anybody else taking advantage of this deal?
I love the Bridgestone PP series--can't believe you can't get a newer set. I really don't like how tire companies discontinue and keep changing their tires, especially when you've found a good set. It's like a good pair of shoes, but those will last even in storage unlike tires. :(

Yep, stiffening the suspension can bring more it to the tire which then again can find weak points in the suspension. I still remember the days when people would put drag radials on their IRS rear and tear out all the teeth when they dropped full force on a launch and the strip. :( Was a sound that made me sad. :( It's one of the reasons I've left the suspension on my Vette alone since the previous owner had dialed it in well to hit 6.8s in the 1/8 on slicks and nitrous. The soft stock springs and struts would just absorb the launch energy and allow the car to just stick and come out of the hole poised for the nitrous which my friend told me he would hit once at wot and full gripped. It was a simple launch from what he described at 2-3k rpm, finger ready on the switch, let go of the brake (since it's an automatic) and go to wot, feel the grip, hit the button and just hang on. I've never used the nitrous on it or even launched it outside of a couple of times on the street, but I know if I would mess with the suspension it would do worse than blowing away 295s on the interstate at 60 at wot. :eek:
When I say "track" I mean road courses. Sebring and Homestead are a couple hours away from me ;)

Decided I'm going with the 18s in Anthracite paired with the Contis in 285 width. Anybody else taking advantage of this deal?

When I say "track" I mean road courses. Sebring and Homestead are a couple hours away from me ;)
Nice choice. :) Oh, I know you meant that, and the same thing happens to the Miata guys would put in certain spring weights and then have to relearn to drive the car since it comes around so much quicker. :) Autocross is my personal favorite motorsport. :) I love how I can take my daily and learn its limits in a controlled environment that won't cost a bunch if things go wrong like on a track. Of course, that being said, I once saw the exhaust tips of a brand new c7 z06 pointing at the sky while I saw the entire bottom of the car at a Corvette 'low speed' autocross. Guy literally had the car for only a few months as they were that new at the time. Car went off course into a small ditch and flipped landing on the driver's a-pillar. :eek: One of the more scary things I've seen at events. He walked away fine thanks to his helmet with just a sore neck and a sad demeanor since insurance doesn't cover event damage. :( I've only autocrossed the Corvette once just to get a feel for it--the Boxster is for curves, Corvette for straights. :D

Nice choice. :) Oh, I know you meant that, and the same thing happens to the Miata guys would put in certain spring weights and then have to relearn to drive the car since it comes around so much quicker. :) Autocross is my personal favorite motorsport. :) I love how I can take my daily and learn its limits in a controlled environment that won't cost a bunch if things go wrong like on a track. Of course, that being said, I once saw the exhaust tips of a brand new c7 z06 pointing at the sky while I saw the entire bottom of the car at a Corvette 'low speed' autocross. Guy literally had the car for only a few months as they were that new at the time. Car went off course into a small ditch and flipped landing on the driver's a-pillar. :eek: One of the more scary things I've seen at events. He walked away fine thanks to his helmet with just a sore neck and a sad demeanor since insurance doesn't cover event damage. :( I've only autocrossed the Corvette once just to get a feel for it--the Boxster is for curves, Corvette for straights. :D
One of my outings to Sebring I saw a guy in a R35 GT-R clip the kerb in turn 10. If you know Sebring you know the kerbs are rounded and high at this part of the track. Didn't roll the car, but came close.

I pre-ordered these SM-10s a couple years ago and installed them this past season for the first time. Went from stock 19s to 17s. I absolutely love the setup.
PXL_20220505_200455191.jpg
PXL_20220505_200518623.jpg

Nice, has me excited. Unfortunately they won't ship until at least tomorrow. Hopefully I can put them on next weekend.
Grats! When you get them make sure to remove any stickers on the tire mounting surfaces. I had to get one tire re-mounted because a QR code sticker was literally on the bead surface and Costco didn't check.

Back