[DEAD] 9 hours of Bach for $ .99 at Amazon

I didn't realize the download .amz file expired so quickly. I went to bed without downloading it. Now it seems I can't retrieve it.

Awesome. No way I could pass this up. I'm not an aficionado so the "sub-par" performances wont really bother me, I just like anything I've ever heard from Bach so this is kickass.

Along the same lines, the "Rise of the Masters" series are all $1.99 for those interested. Mozart, Beethoven, Tchaikovsky, etc. Huge collections for 2 bucks.

Nice, thanks. Amazon sent me a $2 credit today, so this became free. Sweet.

Not sure what the problem is with the website, but I purchased this using the Amazon MP3 Android app. Thanks OP!

Just a question about this music...

What if Bach fell off a horse, but then had the courage to get back on and continue riding???

Bach in the saddle again!

... Hehe. Hmm? No?

Alright... :(

So this is 9 hours, Bach to Bach? *Ba dum PSSH*

But seriously folks, looks like a lot of people are buying. Heck, at 99 cents, it shouldn't leave anyone Baroque *ba dum PSSH*

Oh god...

Thanks OP. Just received a $2mp3 credit and this is perfect to use it on. Also a great way to test out my new speakers :)

Nor do you. This is Baroque. :D

What? I don't go with the literal meanings of things. I classify classical music as stuff done centuries ago without the use of computers or lyrics. I still consider baroque as classic/classy stuff. I have never heard in conversation people saying things like "Ah, Bach's sonata is such a baroque piece of work". The baroque style is still a classic work of art.

You are correct. Baroque music was composed without accent, it was up to the musicians to decipher the correct style. While this is a good deal, I have much better collections of Bach's works. I also don't care for "Masses" or Chorus.

Bach's Orchestral Suites are beautiful.

I listened to some of the samples. You get what you pay for. The "English Chamber Orchestra" isn't a bad group, but not exactly suited for Bach in my opinion. The Vienna State Opera Orchestra (although a great group) is too heavy for Bach. The soloists are decent but they don't have the Baroque style down correctly.

It's a good 'introduction to Bach' set, but if you want to dig deeper find what you like from this set and find better groups that perform them.

For comparison, compare track 90 of this:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/dmusic/med...ack&ASIN=B007MS6NC2&CustomerID=A22XIYJY7R865E

To the Amsterdam Baroque Orchestra:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVxwuirUX-M

You'll see the VSOO is very heavy, while the ABO is very light and much more Baroque.

/music nerd

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
So a question. Is this music public domain? I mean even though its modern performers playing it, can they stop you from redistributing this based on copyright laws? Can they protect something they performed but did not create?

No.
Yes.
Yes.
While the COMPOSITION itself is public domain and not copyright-able, the PERFORMANCE is not public domain and copyright vested in the performers when they performed it.

Composition and performance are separate rights that can have separate copyrights. Just ask teh Beastie Boys.

You are correct. Baroque music was composed without accent, it was up to the musicians to decipher the correct style. While this is a good deal, I have much better collections of Bach's works. I also don't care for "Masses" or Chorus.

Bach's Orchestral Suites are beautiful.

Someone suggested to me better albums, but it really comes down to two things.

a) personal taste
b) researching the music

This sort of stuff to find great recordings requires a bit of knowledge about music history, knowledge of counterpoint and ornamentation, and countless other things. It's like finding good recordings of jazz where you have a set number of pieces that can be performed, or sets, and thousands or millions of ways of playing them.

Back