De-lidding without a De-Lidder

yergg

Weaksauce
Didn't want to spend the money on a de-lidder so I just used a razor blade and a flat head screwdriver.

Nailed it!

20170329_173501534_iOS.jpg

Don't forgot to remove the excess silicone from the PCB, it'll mess with your Z-height when you re-lid. ;)

Don't sweat it. Intel and AMD are known for taking up too much space on their dies. I'm sure it'll be just fine when you slap it back together. I've been using crayon for my TIM and Elmer's for the spreader.

How much performance improvement are you seeing with De-lidding?

With that chip in the op, -100%

With my "working" delid I got another 100MHz from my 4600MHz 6700K and lower temps.

The CPU was dead before I De-lidded. After De-lidding, I am getting about a 1,000,000% performance boost!

Don't sweat it. Intel and AMD are known for taking up too much space on their dies. I'm sure it'll be just fine when you slap it back together. I've been using crayon for my TIM and Elmer's for the spreader.

Elmer's classic white School glue or the Glue Sticks? I was using the Glue Sticks.

And yes, Q6600 is soldered... I successfully delided mine years ago, the way to do it is cut the gasket with a double edged razor, balance the processor on two coffee mugs (by the PCB, IHS facing down) and use a torch style lighter to heat the IHS until the solder melts and the IHS drops free.

And yes, Q6600 is soldered... I successfully delided mine years ago, the way to do it is cut the gasket with a double edged razor, balance the processor on two coffee mugs (by the PCB, IHS facing down) and use a torch style lighter to heat the IHS until the solder melts and the IHS drops free.

Two coffee mugs? You didn't have anything else lying around?

Two coffee mugs? You didn't have anything else lying around?
Not as unlikely to be damaged by a butane torch as ceramic... Granted, nothing went wrong and I could have used chunks of 2x4, but I had two identical coffee mugs and their heights were the same with 0 effort. Not to mention ceramic is a pretty safe choice when dealing with fire, so it was one less thing for Mr. Murphy to fuck with.

Back