DDR533/DDR667 to DDR800

Zoogle

Gawd
I'm hoping to get some suggestions on 2GB packs of DDR533 or DDR667 that would easily overclock to DDR800 and maybe some more. These will probably be paired w/ an E4300 or E4400 and a 650i board or perhaps a DS3 or P5B-E.

I'm not looking for anything awesome, just for some quality RAM that's affordable. Going off the top of my head, the E4300 has a 9X multiplier so I only really need memory that can reach DDR800 speeds which should give me 3.6Ghz total (probably the max of the chip) but some headroom would be appreciated. You get bonus points if the RAM is cheap :).

Together with an E6600 and a Biostar TForce BIOSTAR TForce965PT should that GSkill posted in the second link be enough to OC a reasonable amount? I know that the RAM isn't a great oc'er but if it runs at 400MHz x 9 (E6600 multiplier, right?) then that should be 3.6Ghz? That's pretty nice if so!

Most promos IC's will crap out if you try to oc them hard. Hitting 1000mhz with one would require a better than average stick of promos, a good shot of vdimm, and loose timings. The real world gain of you running 1000mhz @ cas5 doesn't net you anything. 800mhz will do decently provided it has tighter timings. Milking 850-900mhz out of it and maintaining 4-4-4-12 would probably benchmark better. It may not want to do that much though.

everything i've seen from promos lately tells me that 500mhz is yes, probably a smidge above average, but it's a goal that isn't unreasonable ;)

and a shot of vdimm won't do crap, they basically stop at 2.2-2.3v :p (and don't gain any mhz with timings looser than 4-4-4 in my case)

I'll take a look at those links Eclipse. Any idea what type of chips are in that pair of G.Skill? Would I have a good shot of trimming the timings down to 4-4-4-12?

So basically, I'm better of just picking up a reasonable pair of DDR800s than looking for a hot pair of DDR533/667s, right? I figured that pricing would work out that way. Anyone else have any suggestions?

Thx in advance.

i honestly have no idea what chips they are :(

with an E4400 or E4300, ram shouldn't be a problem in overclocking since those chips have a pretty high cpu multiplier :D

Back