DDR5 vs DDR4 motherboard dilemma

Dutt1113

[H]ard|Gawd
I've got a Gigabyte Aorus Master board and some 32gb XPG 5200 CL38 kit just sitting along with a 12900k. I got to wondering if I'd be better off keeping my current 32gb G.Skill Trident Z 3600 CL16 low latency and get a z690 ddr4 board like MSI MPG Z690 EDGE WIFI DDR4 or best z690 ddr4 I can't get and wait until the the really fast DDR5 comes out and actually makes a difference vs ddr4.

The difference is very minimal except for very specific tasks. You're better off just sticking with DDR4 for now.

I saw a review that showed slightly slower DDR5 is equiv to 3600c16 DDR4.
You are good to go and are ready to upgrade with minimal fuss.

I think currently running a DDR4 motherboard is a better idea than a ddr5 board unless you need certain features. However, in a year when the really fast memory comes out and starts to make a real difference, then a DDR5 motherboard would make sense. I just don't want to get a DDR4 motherboard and have to change the board again in a year when DDR5 makes a big difference. I could just sell my launch DDR5 and get the fast stuff later and already be on the correct board.

If you have enough reusable DDR4 for the life of the system already (or are somewhat budget constrained), sticking with it is a reasonable option. OTOH if buying new ram, and anticipating an upgrade (either more ram, or to a 2023/4 CPU) in the relatively near future DDR5 is more future proof.

For me I'd definitely get DDR5; but the biggest driver for me is that my current systems are all old enough to be DDR3 so I'll need new ram no matter what I do.

Huh? You have the makings of a new system. There won't be significant differences between it and a DDR4 setup. Build your system and enjoy. You will always be able to get money for the launch DDR5 when you sell it and for that matter when it makes a difference in performance to buy faster DDR5 the prices will be lower due to increased supply and availability compared to now.

If you already have DDR4 memory, and are having a hard time sourcing DDR5, then it's a no brainer to just buy a DDR4 motherboard. If you have DDR5 sitting around, it makes sense to use it IMO.

From nearly every level headed non-fanboi review I've read or watched, the difference at the moment is minimal. Pick your motherboard by features. If there is a DDR5 motherboard with a killer feature you just have to have so be it. Just know memory is hard to get. If you can find a DDR4 board with all the features you need, get the DDR4 board.

DDR4 board all the way! We all will be upgrading to Meteor Lake by the time DDR5 will be available. :)

Back