DDR5 IP Test Chip Operates with Micron Prototype DRAM at 4400 MT/s

Discussion in 'Memory' started by erek, May 4, 2018.

1. erek

erek 2[H]4U

The DDR5 standard has not been finalized by JEDEC, and they are very strict about not allowing anyone to claim DDR5 compatibility until the standard is complete. That is expected sometime this summer. However, getting designs into silicon can't wait until the standard is final before getting started. In principle, anything could change in the standard at any time until it is released, but everyone knows that the basic parameters are not going to change at this late date. Almost exactly two years ago, Mellanox's Gilad Shainer said to me that "interoperability is the only way to prove standards compliance." He was talking about PCIe 4.0, a standard that hadn't been completed when we talked. But the same idea applies to next-generation DRAM.

Source: https://community.cadence.com/cadence_blogs_8/b/breakfast-bytes/posts/tsmc-micron-ddr5

GoldenTiger likes this.
  2. Fuzzy_3D

Fuzzy_3D Limp Gawd

Has anyone heard anything new on DDR5?

I've been waiting for a decent CPU to hit the market to do a new system build, but with DDR4 this long in the tooth and priced to the hilt, I'd really like to "invest" in some ram that'll see me through a few CPU generations.

I know, "there's always something new roud the corner"...

erek likes this.
  3. drescherjm

drescherjm [H]ardForum Junkie

I don't think AMD will have support until Zen4 (we are on Zen1 now). Intel may support in 2020 but they need working 10nm more than DDR5 or PCIE4.

4. defaultluser

defaultluser I B Smart

If it's anything like DDR4, it will show up in the E-series of chips first. Then, there was a two-year gap between servers and mainstream. So could be 2020 E, and 2022 for everything.

AMD will likely do everything simultaneous, because they use the same chips for mainstream as they do for servers.

Part of the reason Intel delays the release for the mainstream is because they have to support two memory controllers on the same die (to support clearance 1st-gen motherboards that use previous tech, and to support mobile until they have lpddr available).

5. KazeoHin

KazeoHin [H]ardness Supreme

So, is there really anything DDR4 isn't able to do so bad that we need a new standard? last I checked, Memory latency was more important than overall throughput on CPUs, and GPUs use their own special RAM, so why exactly is DDR5 needed so soon? It's only really been around one and a half generations of chips!

6. drescherjm

drescherjm [H]ardForum Junkie

On the Intel side I believe it has been 4 years. Likely to be an additional 2 to 4.