Ddr4 vs ddr5

Rydawg5143

Supreme [H]ardness
Looking to build around a 3070 RTX and i7-13700K. Would the price difference between similar ddr4 and ddr5 be worth it to go with ddr5 for the speed? Trying to figure that out before I pick a mobile.

Thing is if you go DDR5 now...you'll be looking at DDR5 7000+ kits this time next year.

When I bought my DDR4 setup the best was 3200...

Buying now it''s peak speed DDR4 or early days slow DDR5... (though DDR5 is probably faster)

Unless one is going for a budget system or is looking to bring over DDR4 from another system, I see no reason to not go with DDR5. Yeah, it'll cost a bit more (DDR5-5600 is maybe ~150% of DDR4-3200 currently from a quick glance at NewEgg's listings), but that difference is narrowing and will be a relatively small percentage of the entire system.

Since I no longer do scientific work on my PC I went with fast DDR4 and a I7 2700K from a X99 quad channel rig. Min frame rates are up.

It’s all about what you want to spend. Personally since 13th gen is showing some good scaling on DDR5 6400+ already so if building from scratch it makes sense to get a nice d5 board. Unless you have some good DDR4 in hand and want to reuse it I see little reason to buy DDR4 new for a current gen platform. Especially if you want to keep it for a while and push higher end GPUs.

Now a more bang for buck option is certainly a D4 board, 3600 ram and a 12700/13700k. I ran a 12700k d4 setup for about a year since launch and no performance complaints at all. On top of that you can get all this used for even more savings.

Thing is if you go DDR5 now...you'll be looking at DDR5 7000+ kits this time next year.

When I bought my DDR4 setup the best was 3200...

Buying now it''s peak speed DDR4 or early days slow DDR5... (though DDR5 is probably faster)
So ddr4 would be the better deal now. But if I wad thin
It’s all about what you want to spend. Personally since 13th gen is showing some good scaling on DDR5 6400+ already so if building from scratch it makes sense to get a nice d5 board. Unless you have some good DDR4 in hand and want to reuse it I see little reason to buy DDR4 new for a current gen platform. Especially if you want to keep it for a while and push higher end GPUs.

Now a more bang for buck option is certainly a D4 board, 3600 ram and a 12700/13700k. I ran a 12700k d4 setup for about a year since launch and no performance complaints at all. On top of that you can get all this used for even more savings.
13700k is what I'm looking to buy. Seems ddr5 is best bet

Back