DDR4 Memory Down Nearly 40% In 6 Months, Expected To Continue

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Lower demand and thinner fabrication processes have resulted in falling prices for memory that include DDR4, which “cost less than DDR3 modules cost a year ago and continue to get more affordable.”

There are two key reasons why computer memory is getting more affordable. Firstly, demand for DRAM is not high these days. Secondly, makers of memory chips are transiting to thinner process technologies, effectively increasing their output. Since supply exceeds demand, prices are getting lower. Sales of personal computers as well as tablets dropped this year, which decreased demand for DRAM by the industry.

If this continues, I may look into a nice MB next Spring that supports 64 GB. :D I'll probably go with 32, though. I want to run a lot of VM's, but they'll mostly sit idle. I'll build a nice server with 64 sometime...

Wooo ddr3 ecc is still 10 dolla a gig and 2gb ddr3 modules are not worth the cost of shipping even if free.

Figures that I would buy the 32GB of DDR3 ram back in January for $170. (Have good use of it though.) Now, you can purchase it for about $130 and even DDR4 ram is cheaper than it was when I bought it back in September. Next year, I may upgrade my work computer and hope that DDR4 prices still remain low.

Good. I upgraded to DDR3 when the prices shot up. No real reason to replace my 4670K yet, but if a new CPU comes out I'll go to 16GB of DDR4.

Figures that I would buy the 32GB of DDR3 ram back in January for $170. (Have good use of it though.) Now, you can purchase it for about $130 and even DDR4 ram is cheaper than it was when I bought it back in September. Next year, I may upgrade my work computer and hope that DDR4 prices still remain low.

It's funny how there was a lawsuit for price fixing which required them to pay for damages. Yet we picked up 32GB of DDR3 for $100 shortly before it magically doubled in price. It's finally back down around the prices it used to be at, and slightly lower as it's on the way out.

DDR4 was really pricey to begin with, so it still has room to go down. I think the limiting factor for this from before is that the die shrinks are not happening as quickly. You used to be able to get 2x the memory capacity at around the same price of the old stuff a bit after a new type was introduced.

i know its one of the very few games taht show it, but doesnt Fallout 4 show some differences in speeds of ram?

Good news, as long as DDR3 price also drop a bit.
Might need to upgrade the ram on a few of my servers next year, 64GB just doesn't go as far as it used to.

This is my personal story about which memory I bought...

Waiting for DDR5 then I'll build a new rig. I already have a 3770k and a 4770k. No need for anything else.
Yet...

Not surprised at the lack of demand for DDR4. The last few generations of Intel CPUs have only provided small performance gains for most use cases. Why spend hundreds of $$ upgrading your CPU/mobo/RAM for such small gains? For gaming in particular a new GPU is almost always a better upgrade.

For "normal" users there haven't been programs that really stress modern CPUs/RAM for many years, and they just get a new PC when their old one dies. Plus even some of the new Skylake laptops are still using DDR3.

I figured what the heck and treated myself to a little Christmas gift with 16gb DDR4 for 70bucks.

Back