DDR4 - Has anyone had better luck OCing with Gskill or Crucial?

peanuthead

Supreme [H]ardness
Has anyone had better luck OCing with Gskill RJ4 2400 or Crucial Ballistix Sports 2400?

What kind of luck have you had?

Overlclocking DDR3 was worthless, real world, in my opinion. I would guess DDR4 is the same story.

I have the G. Skill DDR4 2800 4x4GB kit. And they were fairly easy to overclock, but not much. OC'ing DDR4 is really tricky.

Have them at 3000Mhz right now. 16-15-15-35 2T

CPU input:voltage 1.92v
BCLK 125

Dram at 1.320 v

System agent at 1.1

Overlclocking DDR3 was worthless, real world, in my opinion. I would guess DDR4 is the same story.

Tell that to programs that have very heavy RAM usage.

I saw as much as a 25% win in certain apps.

This was with both systems having an i7-920 processor.

The winner was running at 3.8Ghz with DDR3-2000, while the loser was running at 4.0Ghz with DDR3-1600.

And as for gaming, running at 1066 was horrendous and caused really bad hiccups in games such as BF2. Bump it up to 1333 or higher and it smoothed out.

Same goes for the x79 platform. Experience is a lot more fluid with faster RAM. And RAM intensive programs show a noticeable gain as well.

2133 MHz chips?

chips aren't "born" with a clockspeed. 2133mhz is only part of a spec, which manufacturers are encouraged to outperform in their manufacturing process. There are variances in yields and quality that affect how much performance potential each chip has, so different chips, even from the same manufacturing batch, will have different overclocking headroom. It's up to the high end memory companies like Kingston and Corsair to test and "bin" these chips so they can guarantee that a memory module will perform at a certain speed.

There are a few "real-world" programs than can slightly benefit <5% increase from various benchmarks I've seen. Of course some people put great store in getting the most in synthetic benchmarks. To me it just seems like a good way to increase system instability with negligible benefit.

chips aren't "born" with a clockspeed. 2133mhz is only part of a spec, which manufacturers are encouraged to outperform in their manufacturing process. There are variances in yields and quality that affect how much performance potential each chip has, so different chips, even from the same manufacturing batch, will have different overclocking headroom. It's up to the high end memory companies like Kingston and Corsair to test and "bin" these chips so they can guarantee that a memory module will perform at a certain speed.
I mean 2133 MHz as rated by chip manufacturers, not the module manufacturers. If the chip companies thought their DDR4 RAM could run at faster than the 2133 MHz timings, they'd grade them for higher speeds so they could sell them for higher prices, but so far I haven't seen any, just as I haven't seen DDR3 modules with chips rated faster than 1600 MHz.

Kingston and Corsair been "high end" memory companies? I thought high end modules now came only from the chip companies themselves and only for their prime chips marked with full part number and speed grade (i.e., no Micron Ballistix or Spectek, no Elixir from Nanya). But Kingston said it subjected its memory to different levels of testing, depending on what the customer specified and paid for.

There are a few "real-world" programs than can slightly benefit <5% increase from various benchmarks I've seen. Of course some people put great store in getting the most in synthetic benchmarks. To me it just seems like a good way to increase system instability with negligible benefit.

It can be far more than <5% in games that are cpu limited
With my 2600k at 4.3ghz 2133c9 its about 10% faster in arma than with the 2600k at 4.9ghz 1333c9
http://forums.bistudio.com/showthre...rmance-comparison-1600-2133-up-to-15-FPS-gain

I guess the ram acts like a L4 cache so for programs that dont fit in the L1/2/3 cache it makes a big difference
For cpu intensive programs that do fit in the cpu cache ram speed makes stuff all difference
For gpu limited games faster ram makes stuff all difference just like higher cpu speeds dont make a difference

Back