DDR4 Already For Sale In Japan

They look more like old DDR1 chips..

You mean DDR2 chips. Most DDR1 chips were long rectangles and not small squares like DDR2/DDR3. Only a small portion of DDR1 are the smaller square chips. I think that came later after it was being phased out already.

Sweet. Official support higher speed. No OC required! It's amazing people consume more than 12GB of RAM to warranty 16GB kits in a mITX form factor system.

Physical size of a system makes no difference in its capabilities.

An ATX motherboard with one video card attached can do just as little, or as much, as a mITX motherboard with the same CPU and video card.

I wanted a smaller system so half my desk didn't disappear with a case sitting on it.

I also do animation in After Effects. You need lots of ram for that.

You mean DDR2 chips. Most DDR1 chips were long rectangles and not small squares like DDR2/DDR3. Only a small portion of DDR1 are the smaller square chips. I think that came later after it was being phased out already.

No I meant DDR 1, you might be right on the consumer stuff though it has been so long that I hardly remember. I mostly dealt with ECC Registered stuff for servers and it was the square type. Consumer level, I don't think I ever bought a "naked" set of DDR that didn't have heatsinks on it, so..no idea. Like I said, too many years.

Supply is limited, but demand right now for DDR4 is practically non-existent.

For new products you look at long-term demand when pricing ;)
Not to mention that the high cost of initial production means a certain price floor, boosted by the lack of competition.

ddr4 is still ramping up in production so there's comparatively low supply as to ddr3. plus i believe ddr4 is all being made on new process nodes which as of late are quite a bit more expensive than each prior one.

Yeah, was kind of thinking the same. Though at that price it's going to be tough to get anyone to jump into this, especially considering crappy market conditions and stagnant salaries. I'm still curious to see what it offers over DDR3. So far it seemed more towards green computing and power saving really.

Back