DDR4 3200 to 2666 XMP/Timing issues or speed boost?

SpongeBob

The Contraceptive Under the Sea
So I'm looking at purchasing a B460 mobo and it only runs at 2666 however I don't want to buy ddr4 2666 ram not a lot of quality options near me and honestly why would I pay the same price for cas16 2666 as cas16 3200 when later I could upgrade and use it or sell it etc maybe recoup a bit.

Regardless, how would an XMP profile work or would it not work at all? I don't know if XMP has profiles for lowering your speeds down or not. Also being that the ram is 3200 you would think going down to 2666 from 3200 it would have some lead way to play with for timings? If lets say the ram is 3200 Cas 16-16-16-38 should it run at 2666 15-15-15-?? without an issue?

Also is there any memory software that could tell me what timings the ram could run at, for some reason I thought there was a good one but I can't think of the name. I think AMD folks have been using it a lot lately.

Thanks

There is the Ryzen DRAM calculator. I think that's what you are thinking of. To answer your question, XMP timings can be used at any speed the modules can potentially run at. So, you can use XMP timings while running at DDR4 2666MHz. I'd buy whatever you can get your hands on with decent timings and just run that. I'm not sure if the B460 chipset can run at higher speeds or not. Speeds over JEDEC values are all overclocking anyway, so I suppose it depends on what the motherboard's UEFI BIOS presents to you in terms of options.

From what I understand the only way you can go above 2666 with a B460 is with an i7 maybe otherwise you'd have to go to a Z490 for all the options.

I was just playing around with a B360 board (MSI B360M Bazooka) and it will allow you to set XMP. What I'd do is just use the 3200 RAM, and set XMP. It won't run more than 2666, but it should retain the XMP timings. Then you can tweak them. Also, if you're running that RAM in another computer, if you run CPU-Z, under the memory tab it might tell you alternate timings for lower speeds. Sometimes it will, sometimes it will only give you the 2133 timings.

I was just playing around with a B360 board (MSI B360M Bazooka) and it will allow you to set XMP. What I'd do is just use the 3200 RAM, and set XMP. It won't run more than 2666, but it should retain the XMP timings. Then you can tweak them. Also, if you're running that RAM in another computer, if you run CPU-Z, under the memory tab it might tell you alternate timings for lower speeds. Sometimes it will, sometimes it will only give you the 2133 timings.

Thanks for looking that up!

Any idea what it means when people say their timings are 1:1:1:1?

Ugh I tried to slot a Quad channel Corsair DDR4 3600 set into my X99 rig on Friday. I currently have a Quad Corsair DDR4 3000 set and was hoping to run the 3600 set at XMP 3200 but no you cant, only XMP 3600. I tried manually running it at 3000 and 3200 but it just caused all sorts of issues including running at 1.5v for some reason.

Got returned today. I might get a XMP3200 kit in later to try if prices keep dropping. Stick with what your motherboard covers basically.

Ugh I tried to slot a Quad channel Corsair DDR4 3600 set into my X99 rig on Friday. I currently have a Quad Corsair DDR4 3000 set and was hoping to run the 3600 set at XMP 3200 but no you cant, only XMP 3600. I tried manually running it at 3000 and 3200 but it just caused all sorts of issues including running at 1.5v for some reason.

Got returned today. I might get a XMP3200 kit in later to try if prices keep dropping. Stick with what your motherboard covers basically.

I would love for ram prices to drop otherwise I think I'm going to wait for DDR5.

Prices are about as good as its going to get right now. With ddr5 around the corner manufacturers arent going to increase production of ddr4 and shoot themselves in the foot.
Catching something on sale is your best bet.

Back