DDR3 Upgrade from 6gb - 12gb or 24gb?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Napoleon

[H]ard|Gawd
I'm looking at potentially upgradeing from my 6GB ram to 3 sticks of either 4GB or 8GB. The price of this ram, Amazon product ASIN B00A14ZTTM, is impressively low and would be about $66 for 12gb or $108 for 24GB ram.

It seems so cheap to be able to get 24GB; however, I don't know why I'd need this (although I moved to W10 from W7 and it appears to hog more resources).

I use my comp for gaming, Excel, some graphics editing, and that's about. I'm planning on getting a Pascal-TI card in about a year and putting on this rig, if it's still alive

I assume I should be able to reach my same timings at a lower vdimm and that this would be the last DDR3 I own on my ol'
X58 board.

If you are experiencing slow computer performance due to a measurable lack of RAM, then add more of it.

If you dont know you need this, you dont need it.

Put as much in as you can afford.. I maxed my x58 motherboard out..I have 6-8gb sticks in a Asrock X58 extreme motherboard and it's running the full 48gb and in triple channel perfectly.. Probably don't need that much memory but what the heck it was dirt cheap when I bought it, got (3) 2x8's of Gskill DDR 3 1866 for 49.99 each a couple years ago..

Put as much in as you can afford.. I maxed my x58 motherboard out..I have 6-8gb sticks in a Asrock X58 extreme motherboard and it's running the full 48gb and in triple channel perfectly.. Probably don't need that much memory but what the heck it was dirt cheap when I bought it, got (3) 2x8's of Gskill DDR 3 1866 for 49.99 each a couple years ago..

I like your style, I'm going to get 3x8gb sticks of DDR3L Crucial Ballistix Tactical RAM and be done with it. Thanks for the advice, this will have a GTX 1080 or 1080TI on it, why pinch pennies when the GPU will cost a ton

Also I think memory on this board has to be paired in each bank to go from single channel, dual channel, and triple channel..

That's the same ram I was Going to buy in Amazon, it's $36 a stick shipped on Amazon. I'm using 3 sticks I bought individually and had no issues so was going to buy individually.

The newegg 2x8 is a good deal but I figured I'd buy all from Amazon, no need to do 2 vendors in case I need to return for under $10 savings

Is that what you mean? I don't think they need to be paired

Here's a good resource Everything You Need to Know About the Dual-, Triple-, and Quad-Channel Memory Architectures - Page 7 of 10 - Hardware Secrets

Last edited:
Check this thread out:

Tri-Channel Memory Question.

I think if you have six slots and put 2 sticks in bank 1 thats single channel, then 2 in bank 2 = dual, and 3 in bank 3 = triple.. So you proably would at least want 4 - 8's to ensure dual..KazeoHin put an illustration in that thread to explain...

Ohh, no I use bank 1,3,5 and will be good tri channel. Cool feature on older X58 boards :)

Ahh, I got ya... Good luck on your upgrade... And may the X58 live long and prosper... :)

16GB is the minimum in my opinion now. I get memory errors with 8GB on a netbook. I haven't had errors with 16GB but i push the limit very close and change my work habits to work around it. I got 32GB on my desk that i got to put in.

I ordered 3x8gb this morning, I agree the 16gb seems to be 'enthusiast-minimum' these days :)

16GB is the minimum in my opinion now. I get memory errors with 8GB on a netbook. I haven't had errors with 16GB but i push the limit very close and change my work habits to work around it. I got 32GB on my desk that i got to put in.
That is because pricing for 8GB sticks is back in glut turf - this applies equally to desktop DIMMs and SODIMMs alike; Vengeance DDR3-1866 standard is $66USD on Amazon - while Pro is $78USD (2x8GB in both cases) - this is pricing I hadn't seen for the size since Ivy Bridge.

That is because pricing for 8GB sticks is back in glut turf - this applies equally to desktop DIMMs and SODIMMs alike; Vengeance DDR3-1866 standard is $66USD on Amazon - while Pro is $78USD (2x8GB in both cases) - this is pricing I hadn't seen for the size since Ivy Bridge.
no 16GB is min no matter what. If you actually multitask in anyway on a PC you run out of memory with 8GB. Pricing has nothing to do with it.

Fuck whenever i read the news/forums/research/look up anything on a PC with 8GB or less I run out of memory.

no 16GB is min no matter what. If you actually multitask in anyway on a PC you run out of memory with 8GB. Pricing has nothing to do with it.

Fuck whenever i read the news/forums/research/look up anything on a PC with 8GB or less I run out of memory.
That seems a little strange, I can get along fine with 6GB. Sure it may slow down, but i don't get errors

That seems a little strange, I can get along fine with 6GB. Sure it may slow down, but i don't get errors
my netbook with 8GB i had to use for like 2 weeks and i would get out of memory all the time. It was annoying. Play a video, open a few docs, have music open but paused and click on a bunch of news articles BAM low memory

That "bunch of news articles - each one on a Flash-heavy site"+ each one in its own tab sounds likely - it's lots of Flash-heavy tabs that chew up RAM or resources - even in Waterfox (my browser of choice).

Your rig is broken.

nope. Its just all these damn media ads being a waste of resources. Plus when you open A lot of other things too it gets to drag on RAM.

Dropbox - standard chrome tabs.png

thats my 24/7 chrome tabs. 2 email accounts, Pandora, hardforum watch list plus 4 forum sections i read a lot, plus 3 other forums, couple news articles i need to read, and a few youtube videos open ATM. Throw in steam, some OC apps, dropbox, steam, other programs, and than news articles? When i read the news I click on all the interesting ones (10-20 in a day) skim and bookmark them. Not broken just shit uses a lot of RAM now vs 10 years ago.

OK,. I didn't think you had 300 tabs open..now it makes sense..:)

OK,. I didn't think you had 300 tabs open..now it makes sense..:)
15 on average plus news so 25-40 max (when reading news/researching/reading anything). I used to have more when I had opera. Saved sessions and multi windows was amazing in opera 12 but its only single thread for all tabs so it eats shit after 20 tabs especially with these media ads.

Opera 12 was the best browser ever but single thread for all tabs killed it. I miss it dearly. I actually have more open all the time now since i can't do sessions. Sessions were the best things ever.

Plus i have a lot of peripherals, document scanner, 2x controllers, headset, couple mice, encryption programs, and stuff.

Background programs kill RAM. I use them once or twice a month but closing reopening them takes more time than its forth so they just stay running. I got the RAM and CPU for it.

You are an exception for sure and probably need the 16Gb, but most people would be fine with 8.
I have 16 on my game rig, 8 on my laptop and 12 on my PLEX server , but the machine I use at work chugs along just fine wth 4Gb and I run some pretty heavy automobile diagnostic programs on that one.

24GB succesfully operational with same timings and same exactly 3Dmark 2011 performance score. Looking good so far, running them at 1.4V (mobo only does 1.3 and 1.4 vdimm) with 8-8-8-24-1 timings at 1750 MHZ. I may play with tighter timings and 1.5vdimm but for now I'm happy with it

I have only had crashes from pushing 16GB RAM, and I was doing a lot of things at once. For the average user, I would say 8-12GB RAM should suffice unless you get into VM's and whatnot.

You are an exception for sure and probably need the 16Gb, but most people would be fine with 8.
I have 16 on my game rig, 8 on my laptop and 12 on my PLEX server , but the machine I use at work chugs along just fine wth 4Gb and I run some pretty heavy automobile diagnostic programs on that one.
If you have 8 tabs open and a game that requires 4+GB of RAM you are going to be SOL with 8GB thats why i am saying 8GB is simply stupid at this point. Do you want to cycle programs so you do not run out of RAM so you can save 30 bucks? Thats silly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back