DDR2 - Single Channel > Dual Channel

Weaksauce
Greetings:

This is my first build in 4 years and am still working my way through all the new technologies, so please bear with me.

This machine was assembled by me but the wiring was left to someone who builds computers a little more often than I do. :) When I got the computer back, I noticed that the DDR2 modules had been moved from where I had installed them for Dual Channel (according to the mb manual) - the yellow A1 and B1 slots ... to 'Channel B' - the yellow B1 & black B2 slots.

The machine runs fine and the memory size and speed is recognized correctly
in CPU-Z. However, installed where they are, the memory is only running in Single Channel mode.

I moved the sticks back to A1 and B1 and the machine wouldn't post. The led's
on the ram light up but they are static.

So the sticks are back in the Channel B ... and thus Single Channel. How do I get this to run in Dual Channel??

Q6600
Asus P5K Premium
2x1Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2 pc2-6500
XPPro

Thanks for your time & expertise.

when i built my system, i just stuck 1 stick in 1 slot that was 1 colour eg. i would stick my twinMOS ddr2 667 stick in the blue socket, and then i would do the same with the other stick, so both sticks would end up in the same coloured sockets.

how many memory slots does your board have?i assume 4.one stick should go in dimm 1 and the other in dimm 3 to run in dual channel mode.this usually is safest for inital boot up.dimm 2 and dimm 4 should offer dual channel mode also

Thanks for the replies.

Yes, the board has 4 slots:

A1 - Yellow
A2 - Black
B1 - Yellow
B2 - Black

socketmodes.jpg

For Dual Channel, slots A1 & B1 should be populated (as illustrated) -- but the machine won't post with this config. The sticks are currently in B1 & B2, the machine boots but the RAM is running in Single Channel.

Thus the dilema.

Maybe I should give slots 2 & 4 a go?

dimm 2 and dimm 4 should offer dual channel mode also

Bingo! I moved the sticks to 2 & 4 and the machine booted up with the mem running in dual channel. Not sure why slots 1 & 3 wouldn't work though.

Thanks and cheers!

Back