DDR2 or DDR3 for E6750

lessthanjakejohn

Limp Gawd
I have 2GB of DDR2 on Windows 7 64bit. I wish to upgrade.

Specs:

2x1GB PATRIOT 240P PDC22G6400LLK
Mobo: GIGABYTE GA-P35C-DS3R 775 R
E6750 @ 3.2GHZ

As you can see I"m overclocked a fair amount. I wish to keep this.

Should I upgrade to 2 more sticks of 1gb DDR2, 2x2GB sticks of DDR2 or 2x2 sticks of DDR3? Any reason for more than 4GB?

DDR3 since you can move that towards a new CPU/mobo later on.

I would have suggested DDR2 if it was still Q1 2009 prices but seeing how the prices have skyrocketed DDR3 would be the good choice.

The only problem is if I upgraded I would want triple channel ram and right now I only need two sticks. so getting that last one would be an issue. Also, I'm not sure if I want to upgrade anytime soon so maybe memory will be better when I decide to upgrade in a year or two years to I7+

ah well

it turns out I found the exact same memory I had before for $50 so that seems like the best solution.

hopefully they are still micron d9 chips.

On those "C" type dual memory boards, you should probably stick with DDR2. Most of them I have seen are problematic at best and the problems are worse with DDR3. I would go with the least expensive option you can find and move to a totally new platform the next time you updgrade.

Just to chime in here, I have an almost identical setup, and I recently switched out my ddr2 for some ddr3. Same thing, went to 4 gigs for win 7, and wanted just 2 sticks. No problems at all. Ram is running a hair under factory speed with my overclock. Admittedly I havent pushed the ram to see how far it will go. My board is a revision 2.0 with the latest bios (f12 I believe). Works for me.

*just noticed the above poster works for corsair*

For reference I am using 2 sticks of CM3X2G1333C9. 640mhz, 5:8 divider, 9,9,9,24, about 1.55volts.

Last edited:
Back