DDR1067 7-7-7 vs DDR1333 9-9-9 OCZ Gold

Sprtfan

Limp Gawd
Hi have 8 GB of OCZ gold. It should be able to run 1333 9-9-9 but I get a few errors when I run Memtest over night. It is stable overnight at 1067 7-7-7. Do I lose much preformace with these settings? Obviously it runs slower but do the better timings help even it out?

Run something like Sandra or Everest to see what the difference in throughput and latency is for the different settings.

Have you tried bumping up the RAM voltage a notch or two in the BIOS to see if that will take care of the memtest errors?

Also, are ytou using metest86+ or HCI memtest? The latter stresses the RAM a whole lot more and will show up RAM errors a lot easier.

I tried bumping up the voltage with this ram and I actually got more errors. I'm using memtest86+ 4.0. I'll try to run Sandra and see what the difference is. The specs say to give the ram 1.65v but I get several errors when I do that. If I set everything to auto, it sets the timings to 7-7-7 with speed of 533 and it will pass. If I manualy set the speed to 667 with 9-9-9 I will get a few errors. If I set it up to 1.65v, I will get a ton of errors. Could I be better off at auto due to tRFC setting on my motherboard not going above 42? I have read that it shold be at least 52 and that leaving the timings set to auto will give you a higher value than what the bios can set. Thanks

Last edited:
If your getting memtest errors at stock settings you need to put 1 stick in at a time and run memtest, then return whichever stick fails, or replace it one way or another.

It is stable overnight at 1067 7-7-7. Do I lose much preformace with these settings? Obviously it runs slower but do the better timings help even it out?

Nope. No loss of performance in real world apps and games. No, the better timings don't help out that much.

If your getting memtest errors at stock settings you need to put 1 stick in at a time and run memtest, then return whichever stick fails, or replace it one way or another.

I should have mentioned in the first post that I did test each stick separatly and they each passed. I'm only getting errors with all 8gbs installed

If everything is stock and the motherboard is rated for that FSB, then your motherboard is likely the culprit or possibly even the power supply. You should tell us what board and PSU youre running. I know this is OT to your OP but having it run at lower speeds and timings is just a bandaid and not a fix and its possible it may even resurface at the slower speeds.

If your OCed then its likely OCed to far and is too much stress on the memory controller, since 4 sticks puts a hell of alot more stress than 1.

I should have mentioned in the first post that I did test each stick separatly and they each passed. I'm only getting errors with all 8gbs installed
What CPU and motherboard are you using?

Do you need 8? I have 4 gigs of the same stuff. Mine is 1333/9-9-9-24 like yours, but I'm running it at 1370/8-8-8-18-1t and it's completely stable at 1.7. 2 sticks will be much easier to work with.

Do you need 8? I have 4 gigs of the same stuff. Mine is 1333/9-9-9-24 like yours, but I'm running it at 1370/8-8-8-18-1t and it's completely stable at 1.7. 2 sticks will be much easier to work with.

I probaly really don't need 8. I do alot of video encoding but I'm not really pushed for time. It was more of, I have it and might as well use it type of thing.

Back