DDR Memory now or later?

Solar

Limp Gawd
With AM2 comming out, all the leading platforms are going to be DDR2 so my question is this: should I buy DDR memory now or wait until DDR2 is available for both platforms? I already have an MSI mATX mobo and an A64 4000. I'm still looking for a graphics card too and I know I should wait on the graphics card as long as possible because those prices tend to drop but I'm curious about the memory.

Why would you consider upgrading if you have a 4000+? A 4000+ isn't anything to sneeze at.

Personally I'm going to skip DDR2 altogether and wait till DDR3 gets here. That and I have a rather large sum tied up in my DDR sticks :p

I agree...if that 4000+ is running at stock speeds, oc it a bit and you have an instant free upgrade. Get the ram. Don't worry about M2 or DDR2 for awhile. You can always drop in a dual core chip and get another upgrade without worrying about DDR2 or M2 (as long as you're on s939)

I'd get DDR now, I don't think it could go much lower, plus once everyone moves to DDR2, DDR1 might start to become slightly obsolete and harder to come by, making it more expensive.

DDR prices are already starting to go up, so now is the time to buy it. I plan on skipping DDR2 also and just migrate to DDR3 when the time comes. I am happy with a Dual core opteron and 1 gig of DDR.

thanks all, OCZ is looking pretty good right now over at the egg, can't beat the $50 rebate either

Back