DD-WRT Wireless-N router on a budget

Hello everyone,

I've been searching for a DD-WRT compatible wireless-N router that offers good performance for < $100. Ideally, I'd like it to have 5.2 GHz capability as well. So far, I haven't found anything that has good reviews.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

Other then airlink, who makes a decent router? I'd like to score another...

Could anyone recommend a cheap pci wireless card as well? My buddy needs one on a budget (as well as a router - which he will probably go with that Airlink)

I was looking for a suggestion for a good wireless card that is cheap, not 'anything will do'.

Anything includes a netgear wg311 which is a fucking pile of shit.

I was looking for a suggestion for a good wireless card that is cheap, not 'anything will do'.

Anything includes a netgear wg311 which is a fucking pile of shit.

I see.

Well, provided you don't use the included software, I personally have not used a "piece of shit" wireless adapter (PCI based). USB adapters, however, have been a different story.

Specific models I have had success with that are cheap and that come to mind include the Motorola wpci810g (not 64 bit compatible), GIGABYTE GN-WP01GS, and D-Link WDA-1320.

Beyond that there really aren't any sources of reviews for wireless PCI adapters. I don't know what to suggest.

Ugh, I wish Tomato had a larger compatibility scope, I think its about a million times better in ease of use and setup then DD-WRT.

I'm looking for a router as well...something that can handle torrents. The WGR614v6 netgear I have now literally crashes the router immediately (kills internet for every pc in the house) when trying to run a torrent. Any tips?

I don't own one but someone I know does, they have never had a problem with it once we installed DD-WRT.

Since they've been disco'd....the Linksys/Cisco WRT150N
Broadcom chipset
I replaced my aging wrt54gl with a wrt150n I picked up for free this week, (we sent a batch of warranty units back to Linksys for replacement).

Now I live in a 3 story farm house. My network distro is up on the 3rd floor. The wrt54GL running DD or Tomato always covered my whole house fine, but downstairs on first floor was high teens to low twenties speedwise. With the 150N running DD now I pickup full signal all over...laptops register 54 megs wherever they are.

Since they've been disco'd....the Linksys/Cisco WRT150N
Broadcom chipset
I replaced my aging wrt54gl with a wrt150n I picked up for free this week, (we sent a batch of warranty units back to Linksys for replacement).

Now I live in a 3 story farm house. My network distro is up on the 3rd floor. The wrt54GL running DD or Tomato always covered my whole house fine, but downstairs on first floor was high teens to low twenties speedwise. With the 150N running DD now I pickup full signal all over...laptops register 54 megs wherever they are.

Did you get a new unit or a refurb?

Did you get a new unit or a refurb?

Probably a refurb. Came in a more OEM/barebones while box, but packaged inside like new. Looking at the unit it's in new condition.

The 150 models were disco'd and replaced by the 160.
Took the DD mini flash just fine, I read some versions take the standard DD fine (I think there were 2x 150 versions).

It's only a 16 meg model, so it won't be a ball of fire for torrents..but for under 100 bucks you'll be hard pressed to find N routers with more than 16 megs of RAM.

I run it in access point mode, as my main "router" is a laptop running PFSense...that'll handle anything I can throw at it, x 10!

The above buffalo model has 32/4 MB of RAM/Flash RAM. Is 4 MB of flash ram sufficient for DD-WRT? How does flash ram fit into the picture with DD-WRT capability? I've never flashed a router before, but I'd imagine it isn't too difficult compared to a BIOS or video card.

Back