DD-WRT Router (Client Mode) VS. Wireless Adapter

Kuromizu

Gawd
Hello networking folks, I've got a question.

Lead up:
I'm pretty much stuck gaming on wireless because of the age of my home and the distance to the router. I've been using wireless N with a PCI-E adapter and it's been working OK. I also tried an intel 7260 AC adaptor but it was terrible for gaming. I'm looking for other options to carry the wireless signal to my computer and PS3.

Question:
How does using a wireless router in client mode (connected by ethernet cable) compare to a wireless adapter in terms of response time, bandwidth, and signal reliability?

I realize that will depend on the hardware somewhat, but my plan is to use something like a netgear WNDR3700 as a client.

Thanks.

It's been awhile, but I liked having a DD-WRT flashed router acting as a wireless bridge for my entertainment center. Had multiple consoles hooked up via Ethernet, and never once had an issue with the connection back to another DD-WRT router.

So, I vote router.

Thanks. I'm kind of leaning that way too. On the upside, no external antennas and a free PCI-E slot for a sound card or something. Downside is that it's another appliance drawing power and more cords running.

You're better off getting a real bridge unless you have a WNDR3700 around.

Is powerline ethernet a no-go? I'll readily admit, I don't like the idea of it, however, it seems to be a workable solution.

Works perfect. I have 2 Cisco E2000's with DD-WRT set up as wireless clients with multiple devices hard wired into them. I do plan on changing that set up eventually, but it works just fine the way it is.

For most traffic, it's fine. Transferring from the server to a PC is a bit slower than what I'd expect, but not horrible bad.

I looked up "transparent" bridging and it seems that at least it's not supported in DD-WRT. Some other guy claims he got it to work in Gargoyle. Any thoughts?

"Installed Gargoyle 1.6.2 on WNDR3700v1, bridge now works as expected. Computers see each other on windows network, home group works, ps3 media streaming works too. I am not sure how stable Gargoyle will be, but it seems fast. So this is not hardware limitation of WNDR3700v1, it is possible to configure it as true transparent client bridge (5GHz, WPA2 PSK)."

Source: http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=936515

Yeah, I think I'll hold off and find some other plan. Thanks for the advice and tips folks.

Gargoyle can do it but it's a bit of ugly (it still works) but performance isn't optimal, that said it might be good enough for WIFI.

Back