DD-WRT. Repeater Bridge mode.

kuhla

Limp Gawd
Anybody use this feature with DD-WRT before?

I currently have a ASUS RT-N16 (with DD-WRT on it) and want to buy a second one (and put DD-WRT on that one too), set it up in repeater mode to transparently (to clients) (same SSID, etc.) increase the coverage of my home wireless network. Thoughts? I plan to connect the two routers with an ethernet cable at opposite ends of the house.

Newegg - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833320038

wiki - http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Repeater_Bridge

i have used this .
if i remember right , your wired connection to both routers will not work in repeater bridged mode . the router set up as the repeater will lose input function. what you are trying to do is clone your router .
I've never tried it . but it shouldn't be too [h]ard to do :)

this looks like what your trying to do : http://www.hanselman.com/blog/Confi...thOneSSIDNetworkNameAtHomeForFreeRoaming.aspx

Last edited:
i have used this .
if i remember right , your wired connection to both routers will not work in repeater bridged mode . the router set up as the repeater will lose input function. what you are trying to do is clone your router .
I've never tried it . but it shouldn't be too [h]ard to do :)

this looks like what your trying to do : http://www.hanselman.com/blog/Confi...thOneSSIDNetworkNameAtHomeForFreeRoaming.aspx

....but if I avoided the wired connection then I would be golden, I think, right?....

Thanks for replying. I may give that method you linked a shot with an older/cheap router I have sitting here.

I have the same routers out in the wild, in fact I am looking to sell one of them. I also have some other dd-wrt waps I would like to dump from the closet.

This is one way on how you can do it
Set a static ip on the same subnet
Only 1 router needs to be DHCP, any you add beyond the main one should act as a forwarder and set the wan to disabled.
Set the same ssid and security settings(leave all security off for now)
Separate the channels by 3 channels(1 on channel 1 the other on channel 4)
Under wireless>wds enter the mac of the other router and name it
Do the same for the other router
Reboot
On the main status page on each unit you should see the signal strength, if it is 0% then hit refresh and see if it comes up, if not use the above as your checklist.

If you have a wired connection at each location then:
Only 1 router needs to be DHCP, any you add beyond the main one should act as a forwarder and set the wan to disabled.
No WDS needed
Reboot

You should not need any custom scripts or commands to do the above, this can all be done via the web gui.

I have done both methods with good results.

Tried this last night. It seems to be ok although I'm not entirely sure it's working 100% correctly. It seems that the device I was testing with (android phone + wieye app) would try to cling to the "main" router (sitting on channel 11) until it completely lost signal and then move to the secondary router (sitting on channel 2). This is a problem because some apps will cut out before reaching zero signal and just say "poor signal strength". I'll test it more with a laptop today. I didn't have much time yesterday.
I have the same routers out in the wild, in fact I am looking to sell one of them. I also have some other dd-wrt waps I would like to dump from the closet.

If you have a wired connection at each location then:
No WDS needed
Reboot

You should not need any custom scripts or commands to do the above, this can all be done via the web gui.

I have done both methods with good results.
I'm assuming after rebooting, then go back to change security settings.

Yessir. Also ensure you can get in via ssh or telnet in case you need to do a cli reboot. Sometimes dd-wrt gets emo.

Also get a backup of each router and store these. Again, comes in handy in case it gets emo.

Be sure to follow the flashing instructions to the T and you shouldn't have an emo router.

....but if I avoided the wired connection then I would be golden, I think, right?....

You want the wired connection if at all possible, it will be much better that way.

Tried this last night. It seems to be ok although I'm not entirely sure it's working 100% correctly. It seems that the device I was testing with (android phone + wieye app) would try to cling to the "main" router (sitting on channel 11) until it completely lost signal and then move to the secondary router (sitting on channel 2). This is a problem because some apps will cut out before reaching zero signal and just say "poor signal strength". I'll test it more with a laptop today. I didn't have much time yesterday.

Some devices/chipsets/drivers support it better than others.

Yessir. Also ensure you can get in via ssh or telnet in case you need to do a cli reboot. Sometimes dd-wrt gets emo. Also get a backup of each router and store these. Again, comes in handy in case it gets emo. Be sure to follow the flashing instructions to the T and you shouldn't have an emo router.
Not this time (*knocks one wood*) but the last time I put DD-WRT on this router I did have issues. This time, going 2 months strong now, I've actually been ok. No quirks. No emo. I don't know if I can chalk that up to going through the full install instructions twice or not but I'm hoping it stays nice and stable.
You want the wired connection if at all possible, it will be much better that way. ... Some devices/chipsets/drivers support it better than others.
Being able to use it seamlessly with our smart phones was kind of a big deal. I have since disabled the second router because the problem I described earlier just wouldn't go away.

I'm now looking for some way with android to set priority with wifi networks. Something that would say dbm of network X above Y, connect to network X. So far no luck. This looks hopeful though https://play.google.com/store/apps/...t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEsImNvbS50YnNlLnduc3dmcmVlIl0.
get an apple extreme and airport express.. so reliable
Not going to happen but thanks for the recommendation.

Back