DD: The Official "Post What You've Found" Thread (pics!!)

Don't have any pictures, sorry in advance...

There was huge dumpster full of Herman Miller Aeron chairs in the same building as mine. Was able to pull out and piece together about half a dozen good ones.

Aw, that would have been sweet to find.

So I had no idea this was a thing or that I even did it a couple of times without knowing it.

Just recently, I was putting a cardboard box in our apartment complex's recyclables dumpster that's kept in the garage. I've always seen some usable good stuff just thrown away because some people don't seem to care about throwing away perfectly usable things. And yet they will separate their recyclables. I always thought the first step in recycling was reuse. :rolleyes:

Anyways, someone was throwing away what looked like a perfectly good plastic storage tub and while I was trying to get to that, there was an HP box for a computer that someone obviously just recently bought that was in the way. But when I moved the box, it seemed like it still had something in it--sure enough, it had a brand-new still in box hp 801526-001 keyboard. I bet even the mouse was in there, but I didn't even think to look for it.

My friend who works recycling on the naval base found this. It was locked and he gave it to me. I did a reset and have a working laptop with just a cracked screen. Retail is over $1,000

Attachments

• 20180205_232532.jpg
    20180205_232532.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 37
  • 20180205_232540.jpg
    20180205_232540.jpg
    738.8 KB · Views: 35
  • 20180205_232536.jpg
    20180205_232536.jpg
    973.7 KB · Views: 36
Nice find on that laptop! Even if you have to pay $200 to get the screen replaced, you still come out ahead. (y)

I know! I'm glad he isn't a huge gamer and had no use for it.
I'm shocked how much he's told me he finds. He's found consoles, other laptops, cell phones, tablets, video games, BEER, movies, iPods/mp3 players.

He keeps what he wants and sells the rest. He gave me the laptop because I helped him out with his desktop and he couldn't figure out how to get past the lock screen of the previous owner.

It's amazing what people will throw away in a hurry. I missed it, but someone was throwing away a complete plastic rolling file cabinet this morning in our apartment dumpster. I only saw it as the dumpster was set out for the trucks otherwise I would have grabbed that as I just bought one of those.

I think you might be stealing at this point :ROFLMAO:
If it's in the dumpster, it's fair game right? ;)

Even though you're supposed to take furniture downstairs to the dumpsters to throw away, someone just took a perfectly good nice wood television stand and left it in the trash room. I should probably start getting this stuff and Craigslisting it. :eek: I've seen more than one piece of perfectly good furniture thrown out because one of the richy-richs that live in our building couldn't be bothered with giving it away. :meh:

Picked up an Alienware usb optical mouse as well as a nice metal 'mousepad' of some sort that matches my wife's mac. There was an entire metal king-size bed frame, but we didn't need anything like that. Too bad it was being thrown away--it was completely welded and one solid piece with all the wheels still intact. Amazing what this place's residents throw away...

Just got that rolling file all cleaned up--looks practically brand new. (y)

Another fun day taking out the trash at the ol' apartment complex--perfectly good AT&T dsl router that can be used as a gigabit switch--complete with power supply sitting in a nice IKEA storage box. I needed a 4-port gigabit switch to get all the ports in our apartment wired, and I guess I just got one. (y)

So the other day I saw some AT&T trucks outside our apartment complex. I didn't think too much of it as they'll be doing some work in our building--ok.

The next day or so, our apartment complex announces that AT&T will be wiring the building for fiber as an option to compete with the cable offerings from Comcast/Xfinity--sweet!

So this morning when dropping my wife at work (I work at home), I noticed some spools of what looked like used cat5e. On the way back, I stop and check it out and sure enough--it's Mohawk Megalan 5e solid core. And each 100'+ run that they pulled out was nicely spooled and held together with black electric tape. I must have got about 400-500ft of cabling in just the few spools I was able to pick up. (y)

Cheap custom sized patch cables here I come. :D

Another fun day taking out the trash at the ol' apartment complex--perfectly good AT&T dsl router that can be used as a gigabit switch--complete with power supply sitting in a nice IKEA storage box. I needed a 4-port gigabit switch to get all the ports in our apartment wired, and I guess I just got one. (y)
Just don't forget to disable the DHCP server on it or the weather forecast will call for packet storms :p

Just don't forget to disable the DHCP server on it or the weather forecast will call for packet storms :p
Haha, not my first rodeo on these for sure. ;) Disabling the dhcp is usually the first thing I do, and pretty much the only thing if the IP address is outside the destination lan scope.

Haha, not my first rodeo on these for sure. ;) Disabling the dhcp is usually the first thing I do, and pretty much the only thing if the IP address is outside the destination lan scope.
I know, but we sometimes forget.
I've done it once or twice (brain fart), and was wondering why my main switch looked like it was having a seizure :p

Last edited:
So I just got a chance to inspect my spools of cat5e and looks like I got about 300'+ of wire. Too bad I couldn't get the other two spools or I would have had 500'. :eek:

Okay, apparently my building is replacing A LOT of cat5 wire because I grabbed another at least 300' today. If anybody wants some of this, let me know and you can have it for the price of shipping. I got more than I need now and I have a feeling it will keep coming for the next 6 weeks like this. :eek:

I've been interested in playing the keyboards for several years, so I snagged a Yamaha PSR-290 for free from CL. Power adapter that was included was a 9V DC which wasn't enough to power it up. Using my google-fu I found it requires a 12V DC adapter. Wouldn't you know it, in one of my boxes-o-junk I had a spare!

Cleaned it up and I've been playing with it for hours today. Action on the keys is remarkable given the keyboard is well over 10 years old and out of warranty. Everything works and it sounds great!

Attachments

• IMG_20180429_202352.jpg
    IMG_20180429_202352.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 0
I've been interested in playing the keyboards for several years, so I snagged a Yamaha PSR-290 for free from CL. Power adapter that was included was a 9V DC which wasn't enough to power it up. Using my google-fu I found it requires a 12V DC adapter. Wouldn't you know it, in one of my boxes-o-junk I had a spare!

Cleaned it up and I've been playing with it for hours today. Action on the keys is remarkable given the keyboard is well over 10 years old and out of warranty. Everything works and it sounds great!

if its like any of the keyboards I've come across, it was likely used for a week, then never touched again.

if its like any of the keyboards I've come across, it was likely used for a week, then never touched again.

Yeah, most likely. It was just dusty and after wiping it down with windex, it shined right up like new. Even has the music sheet backrest, but no stand. I'll keep looking around and I'm sure I'll snag one of those cheapo to free. The music library it has is awesome.

The Yamaha psr series was awesome back in the day. That's the big daddy that I could never afford. I still have my psr-47. Unfortunately, it has a bit of that 'was used for a week and never touched again' history since I put it back in its original box and didn't have a dedicated space for it. :oops:

Found a nice rubbermaid laundry basket today. Literally nothing broken on it and it's really strong.

Things I didn't get were another bed box spring (there's like one every week now), a vacuum, and someone had even thrown away what looked like perfectly good luggage (until the trash buried it :(). I can't believe how much people throw away here. If my wife didn't get pissed every time I brought something used in the house (because used is just old and dirty in her mind), I would have refurbed that vacuum like my brother and I used to do when we were kids when watching sat morning cartoons as we don't have a regular upright vacuum.

Got me a 30gal fish tank with all the fixin's! Hooking it up as a surprise for my 12 year old. :D

Sry for the bad quality pics.

IMG_20180622_190221.jpg
IMG_20180622_190226.jpg

Picked up a small plastic file box from the apt dumpsters. Stuff I've seen get trashed in the last few weeks--2 office chairs, a regular chair, a complete wood bed frame, a set of end tables, 2 floorstanding lamps, and I'm sure there was other stuff I can't remember now.

Lots of stuff trashed in the apartment dumpster as people move in and out, and I picked up one thing for my mom--a completely functional walker with extra large wheels for moving over uneven pavement. (y) Amazing what gets thrown away around here...

Lots of stuff trashed in the apartment dumpster as people move in and out, and I picked up one thing for my mom--a completely functional walker with extra large wheels for moving over uneven pavement. (y) Amazing what gets thrown away around here...
Those things aren't cheap either. Nice

Yep! And it's almost every day I see something expensive getting tossed. Like a pair of padded, upholstered bar stools the last time I saw the trash area. I really wish they'd make an area for donation and just have put people stuff there and have it picked up every day. The maintenance guys have to break these things down to stuff them into the dumpsters--I've seen them have to destroy a perfectly good box spring in order to throw it away. :eek:

Well, after seeing so many vacuums tossed out, I had it and grabbed one recently. Really nice light mini-floor sweeper great for hardwood floors and low pile carpets. Great for what a robotic vacuum won't get. :)

My wife couldn't carry a complete color laser multi-function printer a neighbor had tossed out along with clocks, lamps, etc with a sign saying 'free'. She did happen to get the blue and green soup mugs though. :D

My wife couldn't carry a complete color laser multi-function printer a neighbor had tossed out along with clocks, lamps, etc with a sign saying 'free'. She did happen to get the blue and green soup mugs though. :D
I need a color laser multi function printer. Those things aren't cheap. Soup mugs work in a pinch though.

I need a color laser multi function printer. Those things aren't cheap. Soup mugs work in a pinch though.
They're not, but here's an open box new, potentially bnib on in the CDW outlet currently for $247+tax+shipping. A new from from B&H is $399 shipped so as long as tax and shipping isn't more than $50, you're still saving $100 over new with all the same features and warranty as new. :) And if the prices drops even more, it will just make this that much more of a solid deal. :)
https://www.cdw.com/product/lexmark-mc3326adwe-multifunction-printer-color/6367053?pfm=srh

Back