DD: The Official "Post What You've Found" Thread (pics!!)

huge poster behind a theater

movieposter.jpg

Xbox Live sign behind Gamestop in the dumpster unopened.

Gear Grip banner umm... taken from an undisclosed location *cough*Quakecon*cough*

That green plastic plant stolen from a hotel LAN party bathroom cause it was soo cool.

PSYKOMANTIS said:
Xbox Live sign behind Gamestop in the dumpster unopened.
Gear Grip banner umm... taken from an undisclosed location *cough*Quakecon*cough*
That green plastic plant stolen from a hotel LAN party bathroom cause it was soo cool.

PSYKOMANTIS, don't sh*t where you eat. If you go to a convention, which you enjoy, why would you steal something? The convention has the privledge of paying for what you stole, so the money, which you paid them to attend was paid back to the hotel for some stupid prank you pulled. Sure that plant probably seemed like a cheap POS, but the hotel probably charged the convention at least $50 for it.

Very uncool!

MoFo said:
Hi Nash,

We are always bummed to see people stealing our stuff
at the events. That banner cost us $100. I know that it was just a party
favor to this guy but $100 is real money to a small company and it can
really add up. Even more than the money it is the insult that hurts. I
hope he didn't win any of the prizes we were dishing out, that would sting
extra hard.

If you have a chance pass along my comments, let him
know that this is totally not cool.

Regards,
Alan Payne
CaseAce Products, LLC
geargrip.com

I was not the one who physically "lifted" the item.
It was given to me by a friend months after the trip. (whom mind you got me kicked out of my hotel in QC 04)
This is good because I will personally ship the item back to Gear Grip because you guys clearly pointed it out to me that it is wrong to have this.
Thanks for the heads up, and in no way did I mean to piss anybody off. :D

Pm.

PSYKOMANTIS said:
I was not the one who physically "lifted" the item.
It was given to me by a friend months after the trip. (whom mind you got me kicked out of my hotel in QC 04)
This is good because I will personally ship the item back to Gear Grip because you guys clearly pointed it out to me that it is wrong to have this.
Thanks for the heads up, and in no way did I mean to piss anybody off. :D

Pm.

hehe, owned, hehe

if you guys want movie posters, i can get u rolls of em for like20 bukcs here in chicago.

and im talking about 15-25 movie posters per tube

honkee said:
if you guys want movie posters, i can get u rolls of em for like20 bukcs here in chicago.

and im talking about 15-25 movie posters per tube

PM sent

thanx

Went into two dumpsters, and went through a neighbors stuff.

2 full working Mobos one just needs a battery for CMOS. (ones a skct 754 & another is a PII mobo. (they were each boxed)
a 16" monitor w/powercable
keyboard/Logitech mouse/mouse pad
a good perfect case with 350W ps with screw found in a card case, power cable.
A Lexmark Printer (it still even has ink...)
20GB HD / 32X24X32X CD-RW / Some IDE cables (even a shorty!)
2 floppy drives
A set of 20W speakers
A working old school PS (lid doesn't shut properly but it still works!
A car jack set that is in perfect condition. (found this in the dumpster of a supermarket)
a perfectly nice clipboard, and an ACT booklet College book

pics:
P1010063.jpg

P1010061.jpg

P1010062.jpg

P1010059.jpg

P1010060.jpg

P1010068.jpg

P1010067.jpg

P1010065.jpg

P1010064.jpg
P1010066.jpg

no one has posted in this for a while, so I will continue :)

about 2 years ago I found a nightstand for my bed. had a semi broken wheel that is now fixed

Last week found a womens wallet with $4 in it. There were also some bugs (large and black, much bigger than ants, probably smal roaches), came back with huge garden gloves and the $4 was mine :)

I'm guessing someones girlfriend got really ticked, but about 4 years ago I found a two large boxes of playboy's. Almost every mag from 83-92. I could really care less about them so I stuck em on ebay and got some decent $$.

That's sad cause about 5 years ago I found a large collection from 83 to 99 in some box's with someones trash and just recently threw them away in spring cleaniing! didnt use my brain I guess!!!

Went behind a Blockbuster nearby and found a whole bunch of empty, looks to be unused, DVD covers. Perfect if I lose a cover for a PS2 game or something.

I don't consider myself a Dumpster Diver but.......

~20 years ago: Complete Honda 850cc Motorcycle. Required complete teardown and rebuild, but.... (Ditched and abandoned in a National Parkland... park ranger gave me permission to take it). Eventually sold it for ~$1200, but there was a lot of sweat equity put into it (and some real repair parts).

~15 years ago, but FOR WORK: Scrounged three working 286 machines, COMPLETE, out of castoffs from the base I worked on; computerized our entire office to prove WHY we needed them to buy us some REAL computers (about 1 year later). Boss told me to find 'em, so I did..... These were abandoned OUTSIDE in the weather, beside the trash, but I >DID< get a property pass to take them to our area. Don't know if this one counts....

~12 years ago: Garden Rake, Shovel (Neighborhood Garbage).

~11 years ago: Coffee table... needed some repairs, but only finally fell apart last year.

~10 years ago: Complete Craftsman Tool set of deep sockets, ~10 screwdrivers, driver, a few odd other sockets, one monkey wrench. (Neighborhood garbage). Nice, nice score, since Craftsman handtools are warrented forever.

~10 years ago: 3 bar stools (behind bar). Needed to be shimmed and tightened, one needed reglueing.

~6 years ago: Working Fan, Desklamp. (Behind office).

~5 years ago: "Cats and Dogs" poster (Regal Cinema).

~5 years ago: NEARLY perfect hardwood oak chair (missing one slat, but otherwise not a scratch)... VERY comfortable, use it for one of my computers (in family room). (Neighborhood garbage)

~4 years ago: SGI IRIX Minicomputer... not functional, but one HELL of a place to put a drink, and a nice end table for a Techno-Geek family... it's one of those heirloom pieces, I guess... this is the same kind that was used to make Jurassic Park. (Military Garbage).

~3 years ago: "The Blue Bomber", giant wooden desk, slightly damaged, ugly as sin, but works well for holding my son's computer, while giving him enough space to do homework, too (don't know WHERE my wife found that... she brought that home).

~3 years ago: Cat, female, mixed breed (American Longhair/Himilayan mix, we think), nearly newborn, abandoned. She's the stangest one of our animals, and was NOT weaned when we found her, but her mom was long gone. We had to feed her with an eyedropper for the first week. Good mouser, loves to live dangerous (she's small, we have two BIG dogs.... she likes to jump onto the bed off their backs at night, using the claws for "extra leverage"). Well beloved family pet, now neutered.

~2 years ago: Long bedroom dresser w/Mirror, mint condition. Tall Boy dresser, matches, mint condition. Two end table/night stands, match, mint condition. Head Board for King Size bed... was taking it away, guy came out of house (he was a cop). Asked ME if he could help me take it away, rather than have to call to have it towed away. Couldn't fit it in my car, so he >LOADED IT INTO HIS SUBURBAN AND BROUGHT IT TO MY HOUSE!<, free. Two weeks later, picked up a nice lamp, and nice trash can (small, blue), from his house, too. (Neighborhood Garbage). My 15 year old son's bedroom suite. Major score, obviously.

~2 years ago: One Dozen Compaq 486-PII machines (various, but the 486s were upgraded with Overdrive chips). Almost all were working, all COULD work, but some were missing harddrives. Harddrives ranged up to 20Gb. The best was a PIII-500 with a 256Mb of Ram and the 20GB HDD, two CDRWs and a CD (and Win98 still on the HDD... they didn't wipe these guys!). It's my 4 year olds computer, works fine with, but I'm going to add more memory, and a better Vidcard (I've got both). It's hooked into our wireless network, and sits in our Family room (see the wooden chair mentioned earlier....) Office Garbage. Oh, and we found a fully functional 486 Compaq Laptop, complete with docking station in that mix, too.

~1 year ago: Nearly perfect Barbie Dolllhouse (missing one piece of furniture, but sells for ~$100). My 4 year old daughter loves this.

While I look at this (which is only partial, as I'm not mentioning all the Bikes, card tables, etc.), I don't see but a few big "Scores", yet I realize I've done well, considering I don't "Dumpster Dive".... BTW, I passed up diving on some computers just last week (three, including monitors, printers, etc) as my wife was saying "No More old computers!)"

Went behind a Staples not expecting much. It was daylight and everything. But hey, I actually DID find something when I wasn't really looking.

exit.jpg

So I put it on my window
exitwindow.jpg

Not exactly dumpster diving, but about three years ago I found roughly 30 P233-MMX machines, plus a few other machines, at a scrap metal recycler. Apparantly, the University HSC in Lubbock, TX decided to throw away a few of their old warehoused office computers. I wound up trading a few hundred pounds of scrap steel for them, as they were in the "tin" pile (which usually consists of bicycles, old appliances, sheet metal, water heaters, and whatever else that the scrap yard had decided wasn't worth salvaging for worthwhile metals).

I found enough good parts to build ten machines that I sold for roughly $125 apiece to locals who wanted a cheap machine for internet use. I also found enough parts to build my old machine (old BX mobo, P3 Katmai 450, 128mb PC100, Intel i740 video, although it didn't stick to those specs for long).

The three best places I've found to get hardware - maybe not worth much in a new machine, but good enough to use in an older machine you'd sell on the cheap, or fold with, or give to your grandparents - are school sales, scrap metal yards, and, suprisingly, your local Goodwill or Salvation Army. My current 22" CRT I bought from the Goodwill in Lawton, OK. All it needed was the focus and brightness gain adjusted a hair to make it look clear again, and a good wax job on the screen to fill in a few small scratches.

This one's not dumpster diving either, but just today I managed to come up with a free HP Deskjet 970Cxi printer from a garage sale, and I did need to get a cable and replace the color ink cartridge on it (fortunately, it uses the same 45/78 combination as my other one) but it so far appears to be perfectly functional. Not bad for free, especially because I've been having trouble finding a new HP with a duplexer on the current models.

Last night a friend and I hit the jackpot. We found a perfectly functional Epson Stylus Color 3000. This printer is HUGE. All I had to do is run the head cleaning utility like 9 times to get them working properly. Now I've got a $1000 printer going up on amazon.com and ebay shortly :)

T520050514222603933.jpg

free.jpg

Free bike ^_^

needs a new headset, and will probably replace the fork too (looks like it saw a lot of use..) but good deall... and teh price is right!

KodiakStar said:
free.jpg

Free bike ^_^

needs a new headset, and will probably replace the fork too (looks like it saw a lot of use..) but good deall... and teh price is right!

Damn, sweet bike, wish I owned something like that

past experience, when i was 12 i found 5 bucks in the trash at Stop and Shop in the lil rest corner. dont ask why i was looking in the trash can...i was 12. but hey, i got candy from it! :cool:

ScHpAnKy said:
Damn, sweet bike, wish I owned something like that

Well for a freebie its good :)

I am plugging money into ebay for XTR parts to upgrade it...

My other bike is a Specialized Enduro FSR rig...
and my old one was a Spec Stumpjumper FSR Comp
- Fold [H]ard - - Or go [H]ome -

well i have been pretty lucky so far

i have found 3 high back office chairs, about 300 blank dvd (+ - r rw) about the same if not more in cdr's. a dl dvd burner, 2 dvd drives, surge protectors, cd/dvd racks, 80gb 8mbcache wd hdd, portable stereos, misc software, cd/dvd cases, a paper shredder that was worth $150, crap loads of pens, pencils, paper, binders, storage totes.

i found all this in a 6 months time. the bad part is i changed jobs and no longer in the area where i found this stuff.

rabiddawgs said:
well i have been pretty lucky so far

i have found 3 high back office chairs, about 300 blank dvd (+ - r rw) about the same if not more in cdr's. a dl dvd burner, 2 dvd drives, surge protectors, cd/dvd racks, 80gb 8mbcache wd hdd, portable stereos, misc software, cd/dvd cases, a paper shredder that was worth $150, crap loads of pens, pencils, paper, binders, storage totes.

i found all this in a 6 months time. the bad part is i changed jobs and no longer in the area where i found this stuff.

sounds like its almost worth the drive back there every so often thou

KodiakStar said:
Free bike ^_^

me and my brother went to the landfill and found a bike just like that, just needed a new tube for the back and some greasing :)

Homedics leather back massager, in box. Nothing wrong with it at all. Works great. I've got it running right now :)

Retails for $100+. found it at bed bath & beyond

Back